Apogee Quartet vs Apollo Quad from people that owned or used both.

mwd

Power User
Strictly based on sound, not the UAD plug in system or unit size, I am wondering about opinions on sound comparison, characteristics, quality comparing these 2 units from anyone that may have owned or used both. Maybe also the ease of use regarding monitoring software.

I don't have USB3 or Thunderbolt. I am looking at one of these units to replace my Saffire 40 and RME Babyface.

Can't comment on non-Thunderbolt model, but the preamps in Apollo are stellar, and the console app is fairly straightforward .

Reactions: mwd
Ok so here's my thought
You are going from Saffire 40 to a Quartet or Apollo Quad

I went from a Saffire 56.
I was comparing an Apollo Quad to older (recently at the time discontinued) ProTools HD Hardware

Here's my thought on Apogee- they are VERY Mac focused. So if I were using PC I wouldn't touch it (and I don't even think it works with pc even via usb-idk)

SO-
If you don't have thunderbolt but are considering the Apogee- I'm guessing you have a Mac- without usb 3.0 or thunderbolt-

I'm not a Mac person- but you may want to look into getting a newer computer before anything else.

(Ironically I have a Thunderbolt Quad and use it via Firewire on PC)

But anyway- my two points- I'd say the firewire 800 would be well advanced in many terms than USB 2.0
Especially with how the Apollo can be daisy chained to other apollos- i think even hard drives via firewire and I know Satellite UAD Hardware (which I have one of- that I have no need for)

Everyone told me get a ProTools HD instead of an Apollo Quad
Everyone said don't spend the money on the Quad vs the Saffire 56 I had- it wouldn't make much of a difference.
I didn't listen- they were wrong- i was right

The quality of the recordings even stuff I did years ago on an M-Box with those converters were insanely great.

And the preamps blow away anything I can imagine teamed with the unison plugins- so it can't be beat

OH
I forgot to say-
You ask about "ease of use of monitoring software"
that was the ENTIRE REASON I GOT RID OF THE SAFFIRE
I hated that console thing... BUT the UA is great- no complaints.

Yes I have iMac. Older unit but I've beefed it up to 32GB RAM and a 3TB drive. I would love thunderbolt but I'm looking at about 3500 for my computers replacement and as well I have a Macbook. Same scenario no USB3 or Thunderbolt. So it would be cheaper to get an interface that works on firewire. I considered the Quartet because it is more portable as I am most likely going to have to sell both my Babyface and Saffire. The Babyface is super handy as I have 2 studio locations. Grab laptop case with my Babyface inside and I'm off to track vocals in a different location. Super easy.

I know that I can make the Apollo portable to a degree. Not a big fan of Mix Control or TotalMix either which is why I ask. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom