API 3124+ Preamp Matched!

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
Posted this for the AX8 but its also worth a try in the AXE FX, here is the Drive Block that i used for matching the real API preamp, its tone is addictive to me and gives any mic capturing a cabinet a real nice punch and fatness.

Attached is the Drive block presets, and the Ax FX II, Xl and XL+ presets.

Enjoy.

33844465371_c865b1435c_b.jpg
[/url]

Attachments

• API 3124+ Preamp_20170411_065506.blk
    220 bytes · Views: 143
  • API 3124 Pre(AxeFx II).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 117
  • API 3124 Pre(AxeFx II)(AxeFx II XL).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 81
  • API 3124 Pre(AxeFx II)(AxeFx II XL)(AxeFx II XL+).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I tried this last night, didn't expect much and it was great!
I used it last in the signal chain before reverb and it made my dry-ish rhythm sound [drive @ 4, no dirt box in front of amp] on the Legato 100 sound so much fuller and I embarked on a crazy playing-more-rhythm-than-lead extravaganza.

Thanks very much for putting this up, this will most likely become a 'go-to' block.

I tried this last night, didn't expect much and it was great!
I used it last in the signal chain before reverb and it made my dry-ish rhythm sound [drive @ 4, no dirt box in front of amp] on the Legato 100 sound so much fuller and I embarked on a crazy playing-more-rhythm-than-lead extravaganza.

Thanks very much for putting this up, this will most likely become a 'go-to' block.

Hey, im glad it was useful, i love it and now use is in my presets, when i turn it off i hear something is missing.

Cheers.

This IS cool ..., but I have to admit I don't have the CPU "room" to use this very often ....

I just use a slight variation of the settings Cliff had in the 1968 Plexi preset that he posted up a few weeks ago. The setting he used in the Preamp section are nowhere near as subtle as the Drive Block, and he boosted the EQ quite a bit too .... I just backed off the EQ ( to my taste ) and what it really gives is a very pronounced "thickening" effect ! That ..., in conjunction w/ the Optical Compressor really gives a final polish to the tone that I really like !

I realize that this won't work for the AX8 and that was the genesis of the project .... But if you have an Axe-FX II ( Mk I, Mk II, XL or XL+ ) there's less of a CPU load by using the Cab block and not a Drive Block ....

YMMV ....

Hey, im glad it was useful, i love it and now use is in my presets, when i turn it off i hear something is missing.

Cheers.

Yes. I've been doing further testing today, this time with a Double Verb, instead of a hi-gainers, constantly flipping this on and off and you're right...I do feel as if something's missing when I have it switched off!
R.D. has a good point, it does cost a bit of CPU 'real estate' to run, but for me, it's worth it and Anand Mahangoe's description is good...I also find it takes away any 'brittleness.' I thought I could maybe emulate it by just increasing bass on the amp, but it doesn't work.
I can only guess it's sorta 'treating' the sound, such as Richie Blackmore running his signal into a reel-to-reel tape deck before the amp or the Edge running his signal through an SDD preamp.

Again, stellar work in putting this up, amigo!

I know... But we are posting in the Axe FX II Discussion forum :)

If I get time today I will give it a shot.

I just thought if you were asking the OP, then he might not be able to answer you unless he happens to be fortunate enough to own both units .... ;)

And FWIW - I didn't try to match his Drive Block version .... I'm waiting on new my new monitors, so for now I'm reduced to playing and listening through my AKG headphones .... I didn't think they would be very conductive to me trying to match something by ear .... :(

Live : sounded great and just that little bit fuller and less harsh in the highs , so the EQ in the mixer was flat :)
In my Inear , guitars were always present...really great with the Strat !
Thanks a lot Nicolas , this API sim will stay in all my presets with the amp + cab combi :D

I can't wait to try this one out.
I was waiting for ax8 7.02 official release, looks like I'm waiting a bit longer with 8 coming

Live : sounded great and just that little bit fuller and less harsh in the highs , so the EQ in the mixer was flat :)
In my Inear , guitars were always present...really great with the Strat !
Thanks a lot Nicolas , this API sim will stay in all my presets with the amp + cab combi :D

Amazing, its great that this is working for many.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom