APHEX EQF-2

kippiejr

Inspired
Hello users,
Has anyone replicated the old B&B(Aphex) EQF-2 parametric EQ for Metallica settings.. Using of course the PEQ block.
Thanks
Kevin

Hello users,
Has anyone replicated the old B&B(Aphex) EQF-2 parametric EQ for Metallica settings.. Using of course the PEQ block.
Thanks
Kevin

Hello kippiejr,

Were would you put the PEQ block in your signal chain exactly ? Where J. Hetfield put it ? Do you have a particular album in mind ?

If I remember right James did put PEQ ,in the loop of Mesa Boogies. If you want same way use Axes PEQ ,its mean Axes PEQ should be last in chain.

Hello kippiejr,

Were would you put the PEQ block in your signal chain exactly ? Where J. Hetfield put it ? Do you have a particular album in mind ?

MOP and AJFA recording sessions James did put that PEQ in Boogie effect loop ,cutting and boosting extreme hard that Mark IIC+ amp. Some users like use PEQ in the loop or front input or both ways ,its always taste question. Example Dimebag Darrell did use PEQ different way than Hetfield ,he was run PEQ first in chain whit another EQ witch was GEQ.

I thought he put it before the amp. Nevermind.

Whit lots of searching ,was key to find those. Flemming Rasmussen was in some forum I don't remember that forum anymore ,and he did explain there all steps how they did record those two albums. And Dimebag Darrell chain I was discovery when Grady Champion ,did us to know how all was wired in guitar chain.

Where did you get this peace of information ? I'm very interested in.

Where you put the EQ has a big impact on the sound. If you put it before the amp it is more subtle since the preamp adds its own equalization. Putting it after the amp will allow the EQ to have more impact on the sound. Personally, my preference is before.

Do you have information about J. Hetfield's sound on the Black Album, where he put the PEQ ? James said he used one but I don't know where in the signal chain. Moreover, as he used multiple amps on this album, did he use multiple Aphex PEQ ?

Black Album information I sadly don't have find yet ,Flemming Rasmussen was very open to us to know recording sessions. He did not work anymore whit Metallica in Black Album ,and that album recording information is very highly protected. There is some info for that album ,but there is also too much different info. That why is very hard to know what information is correct. But I believe if James did use those old PEQ in that Black album ,those was in the loop of Boogie. He did always cutting and boosting very aggressive way ,for her Mark IIC+ amps.

He did have whit those old Triaxis preamps extra EQ ,he was use custom made Mesa Boogie Mark series 5-band EQ there. I don't know did he shut down those Triaxis voicing modes ,and then run that custom made 5-band EQ whit Triaxis or both together. And what I have see there was some songs in MOP and AJFA ,where is two PEQ and one of those units have three frequency modes. And there was two units because ,one unit did have all three modes to set up. And They did want more scoop or boost ,and second unit did have one mode engage that why there was two PEQ units together. I think that was case to uses two PEQ.

Do you have information about J. Hetfield's sound on the Black Album, where he put the PEQ ? James said he used one but I don't know where in the signal chain. Moreover, as he used multiple amps on this album, did he use multiple Aphex PEQ ?

Hey all, doing a serious necrobump for this thread because of a new Guitar World article. Here are their settings for James' Aphex PEQ for Black album tones:
EQ1: 4.2kHz shelving/+6, 1.2kHz/-6, 120Hz shelving/+4, high-pass filter 100Hz
EQ2: 6kHz shelving/+6, 900Hz/-6, 240Hz peaking/-4

It looks like we'd have to have two PEQ blocks in a row to accomplish this. I've gotten a few of those frequencies already from Flemming's studio notes for Puppets and Justice, so I'll have to see how the others work. I've been using a PEQ block as my tonal secret weapon for the past six months or so. Try it out!

Back
Top Bottom