Apartment users: what monitoring system?

SloeGin

Hey guys,

I live in an apartment so i am volume restricted. I only play at home.
I'm thinking about getting an FM3 when they're ever released :) Currently i have a Yamaha Thr10 but want something bigger sounding.

I'm also thinking about what monitoring system i would use: studiomonitor or FRFR or maybe poweramp+cab.

What do you guys, living in an apartment, use and recommend?

Thanks for the help!

I use Genelec 8010A. They are very faithful. On my previous house I had a large room and I used Mackie HR824, but now I hat to sit at less about 1m from the monitors and play at low volume. The Genelec do a very good job.

I'm apartment living right now as well. I plug my Axe FX into a small mixer, then into a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors. Works fine for now. No complaints from the neighbors yet.

I used the atomic CLR, it can get loud but it also sounds great at lower volume, nice and full low end, and it has great dispersion to fill the room with sound. Kind of overkill but sounds awesome even if you can’t crank it up loud, and when you can, it’s a perfect tool that translates nicely to both gig and apt volume

I'm apartment living right now as well. I plug my Axe FX into a small mixer, then into a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors. Works fine for now. No complaints from the neighbors yet.
Excuse my ignorance but why do you use a small mixer with it?
Thanks!

I just got a pair of Atom A3X monitors and they sound absolutely amazing. I doubt they're loud enough to get you in trouble with the neighbors.

Excuse my ignorance but why do you use a small mixer with it?
Thanks!

If you want other sources playing through your monitors, such as your PC audio (and you don't use the Axe as an interface), having a small mixer is really handy since you can then play music etc without having to turn on the Axe

I would recommend a pair of 8" studio monitors. I find them more dimensional and more satisfyingly amp like for playing guitar through than the smaller 5" monitors. And anything larger projects too wide for my space. Plus, they do double duty for music, audio/video production, etc.

Last edited:
Eris 5 or Eris 8 (I had a pair in the past) are really good monitors for all purpose: clear and accurate for mixing/monitoring but too pleasant to hear for music playback.

I would recommend a pair of 8" studio monitors. I find them more dimensional and more satisfyingly amp like for playing guitar through than the smaller 5" monitors. And anything larger projects too wide for my space. Plus, they do double duty for music, audio/video production, etc.
Eris 5 or Eris 8 (I had a pair in the past) are really good monitors for all purpose: clear and accurate for mixing/monitoring but too pleasant to hear for music playback.

I whole heartedly agree. I use a pair of Presonus Eris 8 monitors and they are fantastic. Used to own another brand of 5” monitors and the 8” is where it is at for guitar playing. Has the right oompf to the sound. The Eris 8 are incredibly good for the price in my opinion, really flat but pleasant to listen to music etc on as well.

I think I remember @FractalAudio saying a while ago he used a pair as well and really liked them (unless I have this wrong).

I think a real cab or FRFR large speaker will be too much for an apartment. Depending on the time of day and the noise police in your complex you may need to use headphones so a good pair of those would be a good investment too.

And what's more, I will buy a pair of Eris E5 (sold my E8 years back...).
My AFX3 is plugged into a interface XR18 -> 2 matrix power amp GM50 -> FRFR cab 12", plus a powered sub 12"...
But I want a "smaller sound device" to work on my AFX3: so back to Eris E5 on my desk by the end of this month.

Just received my ERis E5: i'm breaking in my eris E5. Can't recommend these monitors enough. Small, affordable, nice mi/high with tight low end for the size/price.
Quiet impressed with the detailed and punchy low end of the E5 for my backing track for guitars, drum VSTI (ezd rummer2), EZ keys.
My guitars sound great through it with Axe FX3... of course well served by my new interface Motu 828es!
The mid from the AFX3 are clear and full, high are clear too, no buzzy or harsh... Really like the sound from my AFX3.

Back
Top Bottom