AOTK: Week 2 EURO UBER (based on Bogner Uberschall)

What is The Metal IR cab? i have only played through 2 Uber's and not sure which series they were but I can say the model in the Axe seems to nail down the second one I played through. The first one I played through i liked better though, its tone was more round and slightly less aggressive. I wish I could recreate that tone but I haven't figured out how to round the bottom and take the edge off. But even the second one... man what a beast this amp is.

Here is a clip I made to demonstrate this amp model for a modern rock/metal type sound.
It's just a quick random impro jam, nothing special but I really dig the sound of the patches!

The patch is really basic, just some amp eq en cab filtering + room.
For the first half I used the 4x12 Metal IR wich is still one of my favorite cabs.
The 2nd half features factory cab F052 wich is the 4x12 Uber T75+V30 (RW) cab.
I used my white Fender Jim Root tele with emg pick-ups.

Playing around with this amp model for the first time. The default settings seem rather woolly and "blanket over the speaker"-y to me. Point noted about the power of the Presence control, but any pointers for BMT/Master settings, or is Presence the key to sonic nirvana with this model?

Playing around with this amp model for the first time. The default settings seem rather woolly and "blanket over the speaker"-y to me. Point noted about the power of the Presence control, but any pointers for BMT/Master settings, or is Presence the key to sonic nirvana with this model?

Personally, I use a GEQ before the amp to tame the bottom end and crank the presence and treble. I have bass way down at 2/3. Don't forget to use Power amp low cut in the Power tab of the amp block. I typically set mine so it's dropping out the boominess, but not all of the bottom end. I use a PEQ after to isolate any woofing and high/low pass at 95Hz and 11.5Khz

Personally, I use a GEQ before the amp to tame the bottom end and crank the presence and treble. I have bass way down at 2/3. Don't forget to use Power amp low cut in the Power tab of the amp block. I typically set mine so it's dropping out the boominess, but not all of the bottom end. I use a PEQ after to isolate any woofing and high/low pass at 95Hz and 11.5Khz
Great! Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying that out later today.

The Uberschall has always been really interesting to me. I've always liked the controls on the amp as well. It's always seemed like the Mid knob was more like a Treble control, the Treble was more like a Presence control, and the Presence was more like a Contour knob.

It's a great amp though. it has a really fantastic voicing that can be made to sound agile and like it's roaring fire, like a high octane jet engine or something, or it can be made to sound like a driving, unstoppable force, like a planet-sized chunk of iron hurling through space.

And playing one in person is a vastly different experience than the hyper-scooped, max-gain sizzle type of tone the amp is usually recorded with. I mean yes the amp can obviously do that sound, but there are also a ton of well-voiced mids on tap as well if you want them. The amp can do a lot more than it gets credit for. It's not exactly super versatile, but within the confines of "crushing high gain" territory, it can actually cover a ton of ground.

Last edited:
You make very good points, however with the gain and presence controls backed down and the correct bass cuts, it's very versatile for tasty rock leads a la Lukather etc.

Give this one a try. I'm using OH_412_Mar-Cb_V30-En_Live-Modern cab. In the OH/fractal UR cab pack.
Thanks for posting that, Fabio. Wow - that's a really, really bright sound to these ears. Perhaps you're using it with very low tunings? However, very interesting to see how important Presence is to the overall character of this model's sounds, and how someone else dials in a sound. Cheers!

Here's the preset. YMMV

Thanks for sharing man... i struggled getting a decent tone on my own but i played around with your preset and found something that suits my needs. Its a pretty cool amp when dialed in correctly! FYI... The TMA block i used is two irs ive made and blended inside the axefx using a sine wav. Also i should note, im using the "bakerman null cab.syx" in the cab block.

The "bakerman null cab.syx" can be found here, about half way down the page
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/81633-null-cab.html

Here's a soundclip and the edited preset. Oh and thanks for doing these AOTW threads!

Last edited:
I've kind of been trying to understand "what is the B... Euro sound" and I've narrowed it down to "low mid in your face roar".

Here's a clip with the Uber and Cab Pack 9 (the Euro cab):

The closest other brand sound I can come up with is the O... Citrus sound. However they are clearly different but I think they both offer us "something different" that's inbetween British and American.

My #1 tip for this particular amp is the same as for any amp. Get the right IR. I hope everyone knows the importance of finding a good amp+IR match. I don't mean that you need a B... Euro IR but if you really want that Euro tone then that's probably the way to go because the Euro amp sims are definitely voiced in a specific way and it has been misunderstood by me personally for a long time. It would always lose in a comparison between other amps and the reason was that I didn't understand what it was made for. It's a sustaining, raw and transparent amp and the character comes from their cabinet.

My 2 centimeters.

The right IR, or cab/speakers if you're not doing the FRFR thing, is vital for any amp, but the magic in the uber is the presence & mids interplay. That model is a true high gain chameleon, and one of my favorites. It's got some serious balls, to the point where it needs to be neutered to avoid mud.

I like hitting it with a pre high pass eq, sharp roll off, around 80-90Hz, then crank up the low res ~115Hz. That way you don't have to kill the bass knob as much... plenty of beef, no mud.

Hi Guys,
After reading this great post , I also took a look at this amp....did my own version of it....very basic :Bass Cut , Bass 3:50 , Mid 5 , Treb 8:15 , Presence 0 , Master 6 , Gain 5 , Tube Type KT88. Cab IR is the Mesa Trad 4x12 SM57 made by ML Sound Lab.

Here is a clip I made to demonstrate this amp model for a modern rock/metal type sound.
It's just a quick random impro jam, nothing special but I really dig the sound of the patches!

The patch is really basic, just some amp eq en cab filtering + room.
For the first half I used the 4x12 Metal IR wich is still one of my favorite cabs.
The 2nd half features factory cab F052 wich is the 4x12 Uber T75+V30 (RW) cab.
I used my white Fender Jim Root tele with emg pick-ups.

Now THAT'S some guitar tone!

IIRC, the approach to the Uber was a purposefully tinny/middy/'anemic' preamp that feeds an overly bass-accentuated poweramp section. The reason why the presence control is important (again, just basing this off of memory alone) is because it has an inductor in the NFB/Presence loop which significantly alters the tonal response of the amp. Oftentimes in art, one has to "make it a little wrong, to make it right."

EDIT: tinny preamp into bass-accentuated POWERamp section

Back
Top Bottom