AOTK: Week 2 EURO UBER (based on Bogner Uberschall)

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
AOTW: Week 2 EURO UBER (based on Bogner Uberschall)

OK, so the poll for week 2 was a draw between the Uberschall and the Boogie Rectifier. Being the thread starter, I decided to pick one and stuck with my initial choice. The Rectifier Orange will be in next week's poll to be picked again.

So, the Bogner Uberschall....

Amp: all models - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Bogner Amplification | Uberschall

This amp, to put it lightly is a BEAST. The bottom end on this thing can kill small children and assault listeners with an instant bowel rupture. I have the real life counterpart and the axe is faithful to 95%, but i'm only comparing my amp and not Cliff's. The thing that I love about this amp is the huge bottom end that works really well with the bass and kick drum. It has a really sweet top end that isn't harsh and brittle, but more "full bodied" in the upper mids. At some point today, I will create a medium gain and high gain preset using the factory cabs to demonstrate the genius of this amp.

Turn down the gain and it's great for light rock with it's sweet articulation, crank up the gain and watch heads turn. I never favoured EL 34's until I bought this amp. My all time favourite high gain head. If you've never used it before, go do it today.

TIPS!!!--------->>

Turn down the bass!

Yeah, this thing is RIDICULOUSLY bassy. I use a bass cut on page 1 of the amp block and the power amp block and usually do some creative subtractive EQ-ing with a PEQ block at 105-110 Hz. I deal with "woofing" by boosting the suspect frequency with a tight Q and moving the frequency around until I find it, then drop it out by a few Db and expand the Q a little.

The gain is a bit of a strange one, as the presence knob sounds like it has an affect on the gain. Perhaps that's just my interpretation of it. Anyhow, turn up the presence before you crank the gain to ear splitting values.

Boost the mids to compensate for the heavy bass and high presence values.

Pick the right cab. As with any amp, but more so for high gainers, the correct cab is more important than anything. My Uberkab has V30's and G1275T's and works well, however I have a Mesa 212 that has K100's in it and work really well at handling all that bass. Try to pick a cab that is soft in the bass and treble and more defined in the mids to compensate for the natural characteristics of the amp itself.

Sound clips and presets to follow...

Have a great day folks!

Last edited:

OK, so this is more of a live tone than one suitable for recording. The amp itself is tricky to record because the bottom end tends to push pre amps into clipping quite easily and requires careful EQ-ing during mixing.

Forgive my ham fisted playing. I got a little pissed last night and my fingers aren't in coordination yet.

Here's the preset. YMMV

Attachments

• Fabio KTG's Uberschall.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 91
Kill To Gain. An old old old band of mine that never went anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also find using the Presence control is important in getting the definition of kids you want/bringing them out with this amp, I tend to have it up pretty high (like 8) on the Uber to get sound I like from it...I think the Wiki may reflect that tip as well.

Uberschall manual:

"One of the most unique items is our "Presence" control. It's an amazing combination of a midrange-presence control. As you sweep through its range you will notice an incredible variety of tones this one control allows. For an extremely aggressive sub-harmonic bass and scooped-midrange sound, keep the presence off or very low. A huge 3-dimensional tone can be found by running the presence around 2 o'clock. Pushing the "Presence" control to maximum will allow you to cut a sonic path through the mix by reinforcing your midrange and slightly rolling off the sub-bass. Trust us: REALLY check out the presence control to unleash the hidden secrets of the UBERSCHALL."

I'm not sure if Presence on the model works the way. Also note that the Axe-Fx doesn't model the tapers of Presence controls on the actual amps, so the position may be different.

Back in the day when I bought my Mesa Dual Rectifier, there was also an Überschall in the store. It wasn't some stock Überschall, no it was the first Überschall, built entirely by Bogner himself. The shop's owner was a good friend of Bogner, I guess that's why he had this amp and it was even for sale!! I'm telling you, this one model was even better than the later stock models. I compared them, the difference was quite huge! Not buying it was one of my biggest mistakes! But it was too expensive for me at the time. I'm wondering where it is and who bought it. Must be a happy guy or (I prefer this thought) girl. I know it's not Cliff, because in that case there would be no need for other higain amps in the AxeFX ;)

When I played this amp through a Bogner Cab, the whole store, everyone who was there, came to the testing room and listened to me playing. I was only 15 years old and really not the best player. I just played some metallica tunes through my ESP Explorer with 2x EMG-81. That was some experience! I ended up with my Mesa, which I don't really like anymore. Should have borrowed the extra money the Überschall had cost.

And yes, this story is true, I'm not lying just to receive some "likes" here. But I thought this thread was the right place to share it with you.

Thanks, Fabio! Yesterday, without knowing about this thread I made a tour through the high gainers on the AXE, just to prepare a few presets to test them as soon as my active cab arrives. Sure, one of the last ones I auditioned was this amp. All the impressions I've had, I read them here from you :) Also true about the rock sound with less gain. I found this amp really special and a lot different from the other high gainers. I've never played a real one and didn't know much about it but I think I might use it in future as one of my standard amps.

Thanks for the contributions, guys. I first heard the Uberschall around 8/9 years ago when some American metal band came over on tour. There was only one guitar player but he sounded HUGE! The bowel moving bass, sweet mids and hot whiney tone with his Les Paul gave me an erection all night. Other than the Roadking, when I played stereo and have since sold, it's the only amp that I've ever been "truly" gobsmacked by, other than the expensive boutique stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know which version of the Uber was modeled in the AFXII?
I know there's at least three versions of the amp (not going into 20th's/Jets/etc.), the original, Rev2, and Rev Blue...

This is one of my favorite Uber tones. It's a Rev2 w\ KT88's (his settings at end of vid). My understanding is the Rev Blue is brighter & tighter than the Rev2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMIReP7-zaE

Does anyone know which version of the Uber was modeled in the AFXII?
I know there's at least three versions of the amp (not going into 20th's/Jets/etc.), the original, Rev2, and Rev Blue...

This is one of my favorite Uber tones. It's a Rev2 w\ KT88's (his settings at end of vid). My understanding is the Rev Blue is brighter & tighter than the Rev2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMIReP7-zaE

Killertone on that video!

I'm slowly starting to love this model more and more.
The other guitarist from my old band used to have an Uberschall.
Together with his Bogner cab (forgot wich speakers) it sounded really defined with good with open and papery highs (in a good way if this makes sense...).
Like stated earlier the Presence knob is really important.
This amp model sounds absolutely huge with the famous '4x12 Metal' IR....
I've also made a custom mix with cab lab using the V1 Legacy Bogner V30 cab that doesn't have much low end.
This works well for taming the HUGE bottom this amp has!
I'll post some clips later!

Back
Top Bottom