Anything like the Kemper "Space" setting for us headphone guys?

james...

Experienced
So I have been long time Fractal guy since the AXE I Ultra. Recently, I got a Kemper to mess with and I quickly realized that the headphones through that unit just sounded so much more "real" and "amp like" to me than the Axe.

After extensive testing I realized what was going on. The Kemper "space control." It adds in artificial "amp in the roominess" tone to the headphone signal. As soon as I turned that off on the KPA, I realized it sounded exactly like all my Axe-FX III tones. Kemper is doing something to give the headphone mix the illusion that you are playing an amp in a real space.

Now, I played around with the Reverbs in the Axe to try and emulate this, but IMO i wasn't able to really get there. The KPA doesn't sound like reverb, it just sounds like being in the room with your amp.

Tips?

I played with that yesterday as saw it in my FM3 and figured it had something to do with the room feeling. Is it redundant with reverb and in fact doing something similar to create the room feeling or should we use both in combination?

Do whatever feels best. I really enjoy putting a reverb block at the end of the signal chain, making it 100% wet and choosing Studio C. Feels really cool with headphones on. Also, play around with some of the Full Res IRs. Try mixing them into your existing cabinet sounds or just soloing them to really feel like you're in a room with an amp. Hope someone finds this helpful.

Don't forget about FullRes IRs!!

There are some baked into the firmware (at least on the MK2 onwards not sure about MK1).

Put a stereo pair into slot 3 and 4 in the cab block and pan hard left and right. Then adjust levels to taste.

The factory FullRes room IRs in the Legacy bank are:
  • 190 — 4x12 V2 Viper Room L (Val)
  • 191 — 4x12 V2 Viper Room R (Val)
  • 192 — 2x10 Vibrato Lux Room L (YA)
  • 193 — 2x10 Vibrato Lux Room R (YA)
  • 194 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room L (YA)
  • 195 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room r (YA)
  • 196 — 4x12 Brit Greenback Room L (YA)
  • 197 — 4x12 Brit Greenback Room R (YA)
  • 198 — 4x12 Recto Room L (YA)
  • 199 — 4x12 Recto Room R (YA)
I've found using the closet cab to your IRs in slot 1+2 is fine, i.e. I use a custom AC30 IR in cab block slot 1 and mix in the 194 and 195 fullres in slots 3 and 4, I find the effect is still stellar.

Room on the cab block / Reverb block
Enhancer block at the end
2 slightly different amps/cabs hard panned

Combine all 3 and you get a super wide stereo image, very nice for headphones or live with IEMs.

I played with that yesterday as saw it in my FM3 and figured it had something to do with the room feeling. Is it redundant with reverb and in fact doing something similar to create the room feeling or should we use both in combination?
I wouldn't call it redundant necessarily, as the room controls in the cab block allow you to create the ambience without using an additional reverb block.

I find the room controls particularly useful for getting "amp in the room" feel when using IEMs live. They don't change the tone enough to be noticeable in a live band/FOH situation (unless you're dialing them to do so), but I can definitely hear/feel the difference in my monitor mix. Then I apply a reverb block after for effect/texture.

Back
Top Bottom