Anything better than Addictive Drums?

I have SD and GetGoodDrums (Invasion and Modern & Massive). They are both great from a sample perspective but SD has a much better user interface.

One that nobody has mentioned is Jamstix. Jamstix's samples aren't as good but the way the brain works is on another level. For coming up with great drum parts without using canned midi loops/parts, JamStix is by far the best. You pick drummers and styles, define your song structure and it will just generate the drum parts and ensure they are humanized. You can setup key mapping so Jamstix plays nice with EZD, SD and GGD. If you use it this way the Jamstix brain plays the samples from the other libs.

I have even used it at open mics for it's real time Jamming mode. It can control dynamics, fills, etc. based on either a monitored audio input or midi - IN REALTIME.

So you should checkout Jamstix's free trial. I wouldn't pick it over the other ones based solely on sample quality, but I also couldn't live without it along side the other ones for its composition capabilities. I have the "Studio" version. It even includes percussion (Latin, African, Middle Eastern, etc.). I also added the Odd Time pack - then you get a Bill (Bruford) model that is awesome at odd time signatures. All the drummer models are based on analyzing iconic drummer's styles. My favorites are Carter (Beauford - Dave Mathews Band), Danny (Carey - Tool), Mike (Portnoy DT, etc.), Gavin (Harrison - Porcupine Tree, King Crimson), Simon (Philips), Steve (Gadd), Neil (Pert) and Stewart (Copeland - Police).

It takes a bit to learn but once you do it generates great drum parts. It impressed the sh*t out of our drummer and he is really good.

Check it out here: https://www.rayzoon.com/index.html

Last edited:
AD2 user here and have been for years. Started with AD1 and at the time felt it was the better, in sound and also versatility.
However that gap was closed pretty fast and have not felt that way for a while. As many have pointed out on this thread, (they all sound good).

This thread did peak my curiosity! So I installed EZ3 trial. Going to play with it for the next 10 days (evaluation period)

Hey Folks,

I just built myself a new Windows 11 PC and I'm going through my collection of software and plugins to reinstall stuff. I've been using a hand-me-down, "questionably procured" version of Addictive Drums for my simple personal recording projects for a few years on and off and want to go ahead and purchase a license for Addictive Drums 2 as I do like the product. Before I do so though I thought I'd check with the forum if there are any better options out there that are a better value or have more goodies included like built in beats and patters, number of drum kits, expandability, etc. I've done a bit of digging online and have seen a bit about EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer, and Steven Slate Drums. Would anyone recommend those over Addictive Drums 2?

I'm no drummer by any stretch of the imagination. I typically start with one of the built in beats and piece together something that sounds good to me and then tweak it in the Piano Roll from there. I don't have pads or anything, but I do have a cheap MIDI keyboard I use sometimes to input keys or beats. I'm mostly a classic rock, hair band, classic metal, and blues guy but I dabble in country, jazz, etc.
I was looking for the most comfortable setup for many-many years. Tried many pedals, had a huge pedal bord, but at the end bought Axe Fx and forgot about everything. The same story with drums software. Tried many different companies, but since I found Hertz Drums my search looks finished. At least for now. Really good program.

I have SD and GetGoodDrums (Invasion and Modern & Massive). They are both great from a sample perspective but SD has a much better user interface.

One that nobody has mentioned is Jamstix. Jamstix's samples aren't as good but the way the brain works is on another level. For coming up with great drum parts without using canned midi loops/parts, JamStix is by far the best. You pick drummers and styles, define your song structure and it will just generate the drum parts and ensure they are humanized. You can setup key mapping so Jamstix plays nice with EZD, SD and GGD. If you use it this way the Jamstix brain plays the samples from the other libs.

I have even used it at open mics for it's real time Jamming mode. It can control dynamics, fills, etc. based on either a monitored audio input or midi - IN REALTIME.

So you should checkout Jamstix's free trial. I wouldn't pick it over the other ones based solely on sample quality, but I also couldn't live without it along side the other ones for its composition capabilities. I have the "Studio" version. It even includes percussion (Latin, African, Middle Eastern, etc.). I also added the Odd Time pack - then you get a Bill (Bruford) model that is awesome at odd time signatures. All the drummer models are based on analyzing iconic drummer's styles. My favorites are Carter (Beauford - Dave Mathews Band), Danny (Carey - Tool), Mike (Portnoy DT, etc.), Gavin (Harrison - Porcupine Tree, King Crimson), Simon (Philips), Steve (Gadd), Neil (Pert) and Stewart (Copeland - Police).

It takes a bit to learn but once you do it generates great drum parts. It impressed the sh*t out of our drummer and he is really good.

Check it out here: https://www.rayzoon.com/index.html
I got really interested in Jamstix by your description and looked it up.
When I noticed, that in "Updates & News" the last entry is from October 20th 2021, I started wondering, whether they are still in business. And when I saw that the Mac version is still in beta testing and not available, I was wondering even more.

When I noticed, that in "Updates & News" the last entry is from October 20th 2021, I started wondering, whether they are still in business. And when I saw that the Mac version is still in beta testing and not available, I was wondering even more.
I know Jamstix was/is developed by one guy named Ralph Zuener. In the past there have been some gaps between versions. I beleive Ray has another "day job". If memory serves the last update to Jamstix 4 was in 2022. I'm on windows so I'm not sure about the mac version.

The support forum is here:
https://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

And I did notice this post so it seems development may have been paused :
https://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8669

Very sad if it is eventually abandoned. There really is nothing else like it. I get the best human sounding drum parts out of it without doing any manual drum programming.

Another option is to send an email to support@rayzoon.com . That email is manned by Ralph so he is probably the best person to give you an answer.

I suspect they halted development when Apple added a similar "virtual drummer" feature to Logic.

I was working on a Logic Pro track Today and changed the plug-in instrument of the drummer track, inserting east/west ProDrummer T Bone jazz kit. Pretty solid sounding, one to consider. great sound control, dynamics, and presence. very playable from keyboars as well.Really nice cymbals.

I suspect they halted development when Apple added a similar "virtual drummer" feature to Logic.
I haven't used the virtual drummer in Logic. I have used Groove Agent in Cubase which is their "sort of" virtual drummer. Hopefully the one in Logic is far better than Groove Agent because Groove Agent can't do anything close to what Jamstix can do. The composition part of the brain in Jamstix is the best of any I have tried.

Another possibility is that Ralph may be selling the tech to one of the big players (Superior Drummer, Steven Slate, etc.)? That would be great as long as Jamstix's brain & composition engine isn't lost to history.

But now I'm curious so I'll email him and ask. I have emailed for support in the past and he was always very responsive. So we'll see. I'll update here when & if he gets back to me.

I haven't used the virtual drummer in Logic. I have used Groove Agent in Cubase which is their "sort of" virtual drummer. Hopefully the one in Logic is far better than Groove Agent because Groove Agent can't do anything close to what Jamstix can do. The composition part of the brain in Jamstix is the best of any I have tried.

Another possibility is that Ralph may be selling the tech to one of the big players (Superior Drummer, Steven Slate, etc.)? That would be great as long as Jamstix's brain & composition engine isn't lost to history.

But now I'm curious so I'll email him and ask. I have emailed for support in the past and he was always very responsive. So we'll see. I'll update here when & if he gets back to me.
If it is really just 1 guy, who is running the company, it's quite impossible to compete with Apple, Steinberg (Yamaha), NI etc. For this kind of software you have to make constant adjustments, when Apple and Microsoft bring out updates of the OS.
I also have Groove Agent and I often try it, but in the end I hardly use it, because the results are often not very convincing.
If you get an answer from Jamstix, please let us know.

I wouldn’t call Groove Agent a virtual drummer. It doesn’t have the kind of analysis and generation features like you find in virtual drummers like Logic Drummer, Toontrack Bandmate or Jamstix.

If it is really just 1 guy, who is running the company, it's quite impossible to compete with Apple, Steinberg (Yamaha), NI etc. For this kind of software you have to make constant adjustments, when Apple and Microsoft bring out updates of the OS.
I also have Groove Agent and I often try it, but in the end I hardly use it, because the results are often not very convincing.
If you get an answer from Jamstix, please let us know.
And yet he did compete impressively - Jamstix has been around a very long time through many OS updates on both Apple & Windows - and it always did what it does better than any of the big guys.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he sold his tech to one of them and that's why development was paused. Often those deals require no future releases from the software author, and many times they aren't even allowed to publicize the sale. Steinberg snarfs up and absorbs other's tech like a 300 pound truck driver at an all you can eat buffet. I hope they bought it since I use Cubase Pro.

On @GlennO 's note above:
I tried and found Toontrack Bandmate to be significantly inferior to Jamstix. I don't own any apple hardware so again I can't speak for Logic Drummer.

Back
Top Bottom