Anyone worried about v3.0?

randombastage

Experienced
As much as I'm looking forward to all the new stuff, for the last few days I've been playing through just one preset and it is so perfect I'm afraid I might lose it in the upgrade!

I have a Euro Red on X and Euro Blue on Y with 2 drive blocks each with an X/Y to give me 4 flavors of drive as well as numerous delays, a flanger, a wah, a rotary, a vibe and a reverb. It sounds so fantastic through the FRFR and gives me so much versatility that I quit tweaking a couple days ago. It wasn't a conscious choice, it just happened. I just realized that during the last few days when I would think of playing my guitar I wasn't thinking 'Ok what are you going to play? One of the amps or the AxeFx?' like I would usually be thinking.
Instead I was thinking 'I want to go play my Bogner Ecstasy'. The only Bogner in the room is the one in the AxeFx! The thing is literally calling to me when I'm away from it!

Are any of you v.3.0 users able to calm my fears? Did v.3.0 make you have to change a lot of your old presets?

Last edited:
You won't lose anything from 2.x. I mean that sincerely and honestly; you just have new parameters that you can use. The newer deeper power amp modeling will add some 'authority' (not my word, but a good one) to your tones across the board.

FWIW, I am a freak for the XTC Red; it's a staple of what I use every time I pickup a guitar (and having owned 3 Shiva's and 1 Ecstasy Classic) it's a tone I demand to have. I prefer my 3.0 Bog Red to my 2.x Bog Red and not by a little.

You won't lose anything from 2.x. I mean that sincerely and honestly; you just have new parameters that you can use. The newer deeper power amp modeling will add some 'authority' (not my word, but a good one) to your tones across the board.

FWIW, I am a freak for the XTC Red; it's a staple of what I use every time I pickup a guitar (and having owned 3 Shiva's and 1 Ecstasy Classic) it's a tone I demand to have. I prefer my 3.0 Bog Red to my 2.x Bog Red and not by a little.
Sweet!
I can't imagine this sounding better than it does already but I'll be glad to be wrong about that. And for free no less! It is already worth every penny and the ride has just begun...thanks Cliff!

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to create my first "First world problems" meme image...

10849293.jpg

If you're worried then don't upgrade. It's your AxeFX, do what you want with it. If you're happy with what you have going and you don't want to change it then simply don't. Nothing to worry about really, no one can force you to do an upgrade.

Yes, I always worry about free updates that make my equipment better...... Seriously?
It's not that I'm genuinely considering not upgrading, I wont be able to resist it. I'm just kind of stunned and amazed that after a decade or more of buying, loving then inevitably hating then selling almost every version of every modeler/simulator that has ever been created I suddenly found myself completely happy with the sound I had and for the first time the next change wasn't going to be because I wasn't happy with the sound. It made me wonder if anyone else has found themselves thinking that.

I had figured that you'd probably upgrade, I'm just unsure of what the concern is about... I was a late ultra adopter(had it for about a year before the II was announced) and everything the fractal team has done to update their products in that amount of time has left me satisfied with every update. The 4x4 USB alone makes the upgrade worthwhile but updated power amp modeling and the Princeton model make this a no brainer does it not? I see no cause for hesitation, I mean no offense, but sometimes it seems we all get a little over zealous in our posting and should maybe read what we write before posting it, sometimes we end up sounding bonkers... Could you imagine the hoopla there would be in the user base of their products if line 6 announced an update like that? Maybe we just have it so good we don't appreciate it.

I had figured that you'd probably upgrade, I'm just unsure of what the concern is about...
.... Maybe we just have it so good we don't appreciate it.
It wasn't genuine concern, more like hyperbole born of the incredulity of realizing a "modeler" I owned really was delivering 100% of what I would want it to.
The text format for talking to people doesn't lend itself to that kind of comment...no body language, facial expressions etc.
It's all good.

At the end of the day as nice ( and free ) as these upgrades are, they are optional. It's always going to be your choice if you decide to upgrade them or not ( unlike windows updates which are force fed and often break things !! ;) ).
If you're happy with the tone(s) you have then dont worry. Just like many didnt upgrade from STD's / Ultras to the Axe II simply because they are perfectly happy with the sounds they are already getting.
I loved V1, am loving V2 more and the V3 soundclips coming in are really doing it for me so I will be looking forward to and installing V3 at the first possible chance.

Back
Top Bottom