Anyone with Equator Q8 experience?

aleclee

Power User
I'm looking to upgrade from my Mackie MR5s and these seem like the likely replacement. I'm more interested in using them for home use with my AxeFx as opposed to critical listening but wanted to see if I could get some first-hand opinions.

Thanks!

just literally got d5's vvvvvvvvvvvvvery powerful, I wouldnt want any bigger or louder, nearly blew me off my chair!

What did you replace/upgrade? and how do the d5's compare? sorry to derail thread a bit but the equators have been catching my eye lately

samson resolv 65a and alesis m1 320usb; was very very very very close to yamah hs50 until read about these, cant imagine needing anything different or more again. Just wish I could hook up to my computer and still get no latency from the axe; I want to use as desktop speakers and monitors for axe, without needing axe on to hear games music etc.

Just placed my order. Next week they'll be someone on this board who can share their experience. :)

I got a pair of D5's recently and I love them. They replace a pair of Event TR6's.

I always thought my Events provided a reasonably flat mid-range but I struggled with how the highs and lows translated to other systems. The D5's are much better from that aspect. They have great low end for 5" drivers.

Also, the co-axial design and all the phase benefits it supposedly brings with it really seems to help with the mid-range. You'd swear there's a center speaker in front of you playing the lead vocals or lead guitar parts.

I got a pair of D5's recently and I love them.

Ditto - got mine last week, and I really like them. They replaced some E-MU PM5s, and some Polk bookshelves (separate amp). I've got a sub in-line with these.

I agree with Adam's comments re clarity.

Just placed my order. Next week they'll be someone on this board who can share their experience. :)
They came in today. I only had about 1/2 hour to set them up and play around before heading out to dinner. Initial impressions are very positive. They sound good and very balanced. There's lots of detail from bass to treble without any band being unnaturally emphasized.

They don't get quite as loud as I expected but they get loud enough for the living room. I haven't gotten a chance to play with the management software or the room correction features. That'll have to wait until the weekend when I have some time to get out the mic and hook everything up to the computer.

I read some comments about how the low end was very natural and not hyped like many ported speakers. It's all true IMO. Another thing I like about the Q8s relative to the M5s is that transients are much more natural where in comparison the M5s sounded like there was a limiter knocking the top off the transients.

At about $1K for the pair, I feel pretty good about the purchase. They're a significant step up from my $300 Mackies and I just don't have the room for a pair of CLRs in my music room. At 13x13x13, the Q8s aren't tiny but their size is more appropriate for the space I have. I still figure to get one CLR for ensemble use but for my home stadium, the Q8s will do just fine.

They came in today. I only had about 1/2 hour to set them up and play around before heading out to dinner. Initial impressions are very positive. They sound good and very balanced. There's lots of detail from bass to treble without any band being unnaturally emphasized.

They don't get quite as loud as I expected but they get loud enough for the living room. I haven't gotten a chance to play with the management software or the room correction features. That'll have to wait until the weekend when I have some time to get out the mic and hook everything up to the computer.

I read some comments about how the low end was very natural and not hyped like many ported speakers. It's all true IMO. Another thing I like about the Q8s relative to the M5s is that transients are much more natural where in comparison the M5s sounded like there was a limiter knocking the top off the transients.

At about $1K for the pair, I feel pretty good about the purchase. They're a significant step up from my $300 Mackies and I just don't have the room for a pair of CLRs in my music room. At 13x13x13, the Q8s aren't tiny but their size is more appropriate for the space I have. I still figure to get one CLR for ensemble use but for my home stadium, the Q8s will do just fine.

Thanks for the followup.

I'm tempted to get a pair of these to use when the CLR's are not available in my mix room.

Back
Top Bottom