Anyone wish they had bought the FC-12 instead of the 6?

Meat Head

I'm trying to decide before my number gets called on the FM3 wait list. I'm migrating from the Axe II XL+ with an MFC101. Even with the MFC101 I had to dual function some of the buttons. I was planning on trying the FC6 since the FM3 + FC12 will not fit my current 32 inch Pedaltrain board. (Any of you guys at Fractal monitoring can put an FC12 that is 3x4 instead 2x6 on my wish list.)

I will use scenes and the looper. The OMG9 looks like it could help but I do not want to have to hold a footswitch to change banks. I want the control of a tap bank change. Push comes to shove I would rather move to a bigger pedal board than find out I am lacking utility. I'm just wondering if anyone out there went with the FC6 and ended up either moving to the 12 or wishing they had better utility from the 6. Any input, pro or con, is greatly appreciated.

I have both the FC-6 and the FC-12. At home, the FC-12 gets a lot of use. But when I play out, it's almost always the FC-6 that comes with me.

It's nice to have a big array of switches spread out at your feet. But there are drawbacks, too. An FM3, an FC-12, and just a single expression pedal, all crammed tightly together, take up three feet of stage space. Add a mic and a monitor, and that's a pretty big onstage footprint. And you have to swing your foot across that three-foot span to control it all.

If I only played at home, and could stomp footswitches at my leisure, I might just go with the FC-12. But at the gig, where other musicians are counting on me to execute my tone changes quickly and to be a good stage neighbor, I usually prefer the FC-6. I don't love hold functions, but you get used to them.

I have the FM3 and actually bought the FC6 before the FM3 arrived as I was sure that the FM3 on its own was going to be too limiting. Now when I have it I find that it really isn’t when I’m using it live as I like to program pretty much everything with scenes. At the moment I’m only using the FC6 at home.

I have actually preordered a FC12 and same as @Rex I’m planning to only use the FC12 at home where I’m playing around with a lot more stuff, and it‘ll be nice having the extra flexibility. Also be great depending on future gigs I have the option of taking any combination of FM3 only, with FC6 or FC12 so as usual when there’s two options the answer is to get both 😀

I'm trying to decide before my number gets called on the FM3 wait list. I'm migrating from the Axe II XL+ with an MFC101. Even with the MFC101 I had to dual function some of the buttons. I was planning on trying the FC6 since the FM3 + FC12 will not fit my current 32 inch Pedaltrain board. (Any of you guys at Fractal monitoring can put an FC12 that is 3x4 instead 2x6 on my wish list.)

I will use scenes and the looper. The OMG9 looks like it could help but I do not want to have to hold a footswitch to change banks. I want the control of a tap bank change. Push comes to shove I would rather move to a bigger pedal board than find out I am lacking utility. I'm just wondering if anyone out there went with the FC6 and ended up either moving to the 12 or wishing they had better utility from the 6. Any input, pro or con, is greatly appreciated.
I have the AxeFX3, and I went the other way.

I had a 12, and sold it to get a pair of 6es.
I call them my 'boxcars'.... 🎲🎲

Works better for putting the controller pedals in the middle while keeping all 12 buttons within easy reach. No tai chi or yoga lessons needed to reach the far corner buttons, and I can add four more controllers and switches if I ever need to. I imagine a similar setup would work well for an FM3 + FC6 rig, given the size of the FM3....

You could add a little dual switch to externalize the bank switching, since that doesn't really need an indicator light ring. I have two Mosky switch boxes on my pedalboard rig. The one on the port board does program up/down so I can stay in the Scenes layout and navigate to nearby presets. Great for stepping through a set list!

20200820_143201.jpg

Last edited:
I can do everything I need to do with the FC-6 and the Axe-FX3, even if I must admit I added 4 stand-in switches.

Currently waiting for an FM3 and I’m planning to use it on stage with just its 3 buttons (maybe a couple of stand-in switches?). The idea of having a single device that fits into a gig bag or a backpack and is ready to set up in litterally few minutes is what convinced me to get an FM3.

Great input. Thanks to all! I hadn't thought about the option of adding additional buttons, or an additional FC6. Two 6s wouldn't save space or money but would definitely add layout flexibility.

When I had the AxeFX III, I went back and forth on that and decided on the FC6. So glad I did. With the views function the FC6 is awesome. I had one switch dedicated to change views so I was always one click away from 10 functions. Very flexible and easy to configure. The 12 is way too big for my needs.

In tandem with the FM3, I can’t imagine wanting or needing the 12. But the FM3/FC6 combination was still too big for my use. I sold the FC6 and am using the FM3 with a 2-button stand-in switch.

I’m debating going back to the AceFX III. If I do, I’ll be getting another FC6.

I can't really speak to the FCs, but I have been using the FM3 without either since I got it back in June. For home use, I am not having any issues with the functionality of the FM3. Some future day when I start gigging again, I am certain I will want an FC-6. The 12 would definitely be overkill for me.

I bought both, but I end up using the FC6 for most live shows just because
of available space. I have 3 Expression pedals, Talkbox, Mic & Music stands.
Doesn't leave much room. I wish there was a way to import a 6/12 configuration from
the Axe itself instead of a laptop w/Axe Edit. This way I could just bring
both and load the appropriate config at the gig since I don't bring a laptop.

If I owned a studio and never moved, the 12 - as something I can take to gigs, practice, it's 6 all day.
the 12 is absurdly large to move all the time, fit on crowded stages (I'm not playing arenas).

I also think its a mindset. I'm a guitar player, not launching rockets for NASA. If I am tap dancing that much, am I interesting to watch for the crowd?

I have the Axe III and FC12 at the rehearsal room, not planning to gig this combo. Now the FM3 at home for desktop use. I am also concerned about FM3 + FC12 taking up too much space. Maybe I will gig my trusty AX8 and bring the FM3 as a backup. Or the other way around if I could justify getting the FC6 ?

I had the same dilemma, "more switches are better, right?". As much as I wanted the FC-12, I eventually chose the FC-6 because the FC-12 was simply too big for me. I do have an external 2-button footswitch to access my Presets (SW1 Tap), Scenes (SW2 Tap), Effects (SW 2 Hold) layouts and a Views Inc/Dec (SW1 Hold). I use the Preset-per-song approach using 2-3 scenes, Control Switch for boost/lead, and switches for the effects in the preset. I have yet to find any scenario where more switches would be necessary.

I have the AxeFX3, and I went the other way.

I had a 12, and sold it to get a pair of 6es.
I call them my 'boxcars'.... 🎲🎲

Works better for putting the controller pedals in the middle while keeping all 12 buttons within easy reach. No tai chi or yoga lessons needed to reach the far corner buttons, and I can add four more controllers and switches if I ever need to. I imagine a similar setup would work well for an FM3 + FC6 rig, given the size of the FM3....

You could add a little dual switch to externalize the bank switching, since that doesn't really need an indicator light ring. I have two Mosky switch boxes on my pedalboard rig. The one on the port board does program up/down so I can stay in the Scenes layout and navigate to nearby presets. Great for stepping through a set list!

20200820_143201.jpg

Sure looks like Christmas time. Where did you find the skins, the shields and who makes the external switches you are using? I know Mission makes some duals like that, but those don't seem to be Mission...

"Edit" Enlarged the pic and tried a search on Mosky. Found them. Still curious about the skins and shields though.

Last edited:
If I owned a studio and never moved, the 12 - as something I can take to gigs, practice, it's 6 all day.
the 12 is absurdly large to move all the time, fit on crowded stages (I'm not playing arenas).

I also think its a mindset. I'm a guitar player, not launching rockets for NASA. If I am tap dancing that much, am I interesting to watch for the crowd?

Dave Gilmour is pretty interesting for a guy who basically stands in one spot with a huge rig at his feet.....

Back
Top Bottom