Anyone wish for a better looper?

Sorry for going off-topic, but your username makes me wonder if you play in the Belgian band Emptiness? If so, I really like your music and sound. Was 'Nothing but the Whole' recorded with the Axe-II?

Thanks, it was recorded with a dual rectifier in 1960 cab, and a bunch of pedals.
There's a live video of the song of "behind the curtain" on YouTube using axe. I actually got the axe after this album was released as we had too many pedals/sounds to deal with/gear to carry on tour after recording that album.
I actually just left band now to pursue my solo things.

Edit:
- Rectifier was a 3channel, the modern bassy model.
- if interested in my solo music youtube phil pieters smith - sorry forum if it sounds like an ad.

Last edited:
Big time learning curve for sure...and the same can be said for the Axe Fx...I figure between the 2 of them I have enough challenge for many years to come.

Is it possible to use a mac by itself with mobius or do you need an additional sound card at the same time?

I would say : don't change the looper, just add the possibility to add a second looper instance with its own controls:
This way we would have a 2 tracks looper.
Or 4 looper blocks instances = 4 tracks :), and you could have block before delays, block 2 after delays, looper in looper!!........ Infinite possibilities :)

Otherwise I think the best part of the axe looper is that it is in the axe :
For me the ability to put the looper anywhere in the effect chain, is a big big plus compared to any external looper that you would put after the axe, this allow to loop before delays and reverbs for example, so that when you stop the loop endings sounds natural.
But to surpass external looper, it would be good to have at least have a 2 tracks mono option, we could have this option and it wouldn't require more memory because it would be the same as stereo.
Actually I did a trick using a VOL block before and after the looper, with the right midi commands, this make the looper a 2 tracks (by panning the input VOL right or LEFT to choose track one or 2), but it has some limitations...

Yesterday I experimented and used the looper for the first time. For now I'm cool with it. I'm sure that if I used the looper more I would find something that needs improvement. For now I agree with the poster above me, the best thing about this looper is that it A: is in my Axe, so that I don't need an external looper for simple things, and B: that I can control it with my MFC with little extra hassle.

i also agree.. i've had problems since day one.. i've research it and "some" users have the same issue. its really hard to get the loop perfectly on time. i've used other loopers in the past, and this was never an issue. a improvement would be greatly appreciated!!!

My fantasy is that Jeff, the genius developer of the free Mobius looper software will team up with Cliff the genius Fractal Audio inventor and develop an AXE FX/Mobius hybrid looper...(Axe FX III). With a user friendly computer interface for programming, and also a new and improved MIDI foot controller with LCD strips and looper mode.
My whole mission in music for the last year has been Mobius + Live + AFX. Your dream is most tasteful. That being said, I'd settle gladly for 64bit Mobius.

Yup... I tried quite a few times unsuccessfully to run Loops in sync with a click track in my covers project where we played to a click and it is impossible even if I get it right on the money, after about three or four Loops it starts to drift out of sync.

So for me that makes this Looper pretty much useless for me.

On the other hand the only real usage I get out of it is for tweaking presets or just messing around if I want to jam over a simple rhythm. As someone else already said if you start adding layers it just starts to sound really really bad.

One of my biggest gripes is I use the Looper block first to record a dry track and then have that playing into my other blocks so I can tweek my blocks to taste hands-free without playing. The biggest issue I have is I cannot tweak the pitch block with the Looper because the pitch detection comes from the input and will not detect from the Looper block.

It has been a while since I've done this but, possible to seemingly double looper/dly time, when playing against midi drums, by sending midi clk divided by 2 to looper or double midi clk sent to midi drums and then change tempo to 1/2 its rate. Time is relative.

I bought the Ax8 with the looper in mind. My use case is the simplest case: Record and play some rhythm guitar, then solo over it. But I was not able to use the Looper to do that because requires too much concentrated coordination to use in a musical context. It's too complicated and doesn't work for me.

My thread on it: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/looper-record-from-scene-change-possible.130414/

1. Entering looper mode.
  2. Exiting looper mode
  3. Getting the timing right with the loop and coordinating punch in and punch out.
  4. Complexity of configuring Scene Controllers with the Looper
  5. Limitation of Looper with Scene Controllers

Switching into and out of Looper mode while I sing and play and transition into the solo section is too hard. I use Scene 4 to trigger Looper PLY. This eliminates some tapdancing. But before I can PLY the loop, I need to REC it.

To REC a loop, I step on 8 to enter Looper mode, step on button 1 (1 corresponds to looper REC), then either step on 1 again to stop REC or step on 8 to switch out of Looper mode thereby stopping REC. I have to do all of this before being able to step on 4 where I can then trigger playback and solo over that Loop with an awesome lead sound.

I used a scene controller on Scene 4 to trigger Looper PLY. How can I switch to Scene 2 to start Looper REC? Then, what one-button command will then subsequently stop Looper REC?

Last edited:
I'm happy with the looper in the Fx8, time in the axe2 is too short.
What if live to have implemented is when I recorded a four bar loop and want to dub a bar loop on top it would literally extend the loop until I stop the dub.

Back
Top Bottom