Anyone wish for a better looper?

I wish for longer loop times in Stereo Undo mode. My primary use for a looper is in an acoustic trio which requires a stereo setup, but I'm unable to loop the full chorus progression of many songs within the 15 second limit. I've been forced to stick with the TC Electronic Ditto x2 for giging use. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it would be nice.

I wish for longer loop times in Stereo Undo mode. My primary use for a looper is in an acoustic trio which requires a stereo setup, but I'm unable to loop the full chorus progression of many songs within the 15 second limit. I've been forced to stick with the TC Electronic Ditto x2 for giging use. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it would be nice.

Are you sending more than one mic/pickup or instrument through the Axe-FX and keeping them balanced L/R throughout?

I'm wondering if you're using one input channel and just have stereo effects. If so, it might be possible to place the looper before any stereo effects and use mono mode.

I do not feel the functionality of the looper is limited, it does everything I need it to but as stated above the loop time limit is pretty short. The only change I would look for in regards to the looper is just to extend that time so I can loop up to a full minute with mono undo.

Are you sending more than one mic/pickup or instrument through the Axe-FX and keeping them balanced L/R throughout?

I'm wondering if you're using one input channel and just have stereo effects. If so, it might be possible to place the looper before any stereo effects and use mono mode.
My setup is a little odd for acoustic gigs. I run a mono acoustic side with a compressor, EQ, etc. On the other side I have a crossover, compressor, and octave whammy down effects chain running for a faux bass guitar setup. I use Out 1, but require both left and right outputs because I EQ the two channels very differently and mix them separately.

My fantasy is that Jeff, the genius developer of the free Mobius looper software will team up with Cliff the genius Fractal Audio inventor and develop an AXE FX/Mobius hybrid looper...(Axe FX III). With a user friendly computer interface for programming, and also a new and improved MIDI foot controller with LCD strips and looper mode.

why quality? its superior to most of the loopers out there, they suck tone bad cos of their A\D convertors. axe looper is superior to those when it comes to sound quality. even better than ableton in that manner, since with ableton you rely on the interface you use unless you use axe as an interface. but yes, its not an ableton looper when it comes down to what you can do with ableton and probably will never be....
longer time would be ofcourse great. but beside these i think its a decent looper.

And how are you guys using the looper? How many layers? I suppose if you're using it as a rhythm under your solo you don't have any problem with it.
When I use 3 or 4 layers the first one sounds so bad that it doesn't even change a thing if it's there or not.
I don't think it's unusual to use it the way I do. I have seen performers with Ditto's and similar, adding layers at will and you can still hear everything ok.
I have to use it mono now, since stereo is not long enough for some parts.
I find the volumes sometimes hard to set up if you're doing more specific, multi-layered parts, a lot of compromise has to be made.
Also, I have my guitar and vocals going in the axe fx, and once they both go in the looper block i can't separate them again for separate mix, which limits me a LOT in terms of recording and live mixing.
Of course I'm pushing the envelope here, but it would be cool to have added futures, or be able to use 2 different looper blocks, and be able to treat different layers with different volumes/settings.
That is extended use of a looper, but hey, this is the axe fx ;) I don't see why it couldn't be looked into, other than maybe a lack of memory.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a more complete and precise tool there? Compared to how advanced all the amps and effects settings are, most of them go much further than your average amp and effects use.
Just want to put it out there that some people feel the looper could join that club and take it a notch further!

I have to agree! I much prefer the functionality and features of Digitech's JamMan. I can't for the life of me get the Axe looper to stay in sync with the metronome! They sound fine for a few repeats then start getting out of sync! Maybe the looper in the Axe is intended to be exact, precisely and accurately switched but that's detrimental for ease of use.
Using the JamMan I'm always 100% confident that the beat and the loop will stay in sync, too bad is a bit of a "Tone sucker".
As it is now, I only use the Axe looper for practicing ideas, goofing around and tone tweaking or comparissons. I really find it too basic.

I'd be interested in where in the signal chain you put the Ditto x2. I have one as well, and am still trying to figure out best placement (I have been using it at the end of the chain, after OUT1).

Start/Stop/SPP!!!! That would take care of all midi sync issues and is only a matter of FAS doing a little extra coding. I'd happily pay for that update too!!!!

I like the looper but I agree the looper can be improved. For me personally on these points:
-replace function like the Looperlative mini or Echoplex/Mobius.
-no freezing display of MFC when using Axe Edit. I manipulate my loops in real time with Axe Edit but that always makes my MFC display freeze in looper mode.
- to many artifacts/crackles when using more advanced looping stuff and certain quantize stuff.
-more quantize options

Also I don't like the sturdy footswitches of the MFC mk1. They are not very convenient for precise looping. The footswitches on the later MFC are more convenient I guess because they are easier/lighter to press

other than maybe a lack of memory
I would gladly give up preset/cab memory for more looper memory, and FX block memory. I mean...who needs over 700 presets stored on the hardware? We have a computer software librarian for massive storage capabilities. Or am I confusing the type memory inside the Axe FX II? Maybe the preset storage does not use the correct type of memory and or cannot be reallocated for other purposes?

Last edited:
I'd be interested in where in the signal chain you put the Ditto x2. I have one as well, and am still trying to figure out best placement (I have been using it at the end of the chain, after OUT1).
Should have clarified, I'm still using the old fashioned Pedal Train board with the Ditto x2 (non Axe rig).

Only thing I miss from my old DL4 is the instant retriggering of the loop start with the play button (great for stuttered stop / start). Other than that the Axe looper is better in every way

ok, that's what you mean. But you can't store more presets on Axe Edit than you can store on the hardware. I have all my presets full on the mk1 (350 presets). I always have to delete presets when I want to make new ones. So I wouldn't mind having 700 presets.

Back
Top Bottom