Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

It was a 22 kettle. And you know what? I'm right there with you: I don't think you can beat a 22 kettle for the price-performance ratio.

That being said, I got seduced by a Kamado Joe when we moved to New England. It's pretty, sure. But is it 3x better than my old kettle setup? Nope. But it cost 3x my old kettle setup! It's maybe...10% better? Yea. It holds heat steady better. But I don't think I bbq better or smoke better with than I did with the kettle.

Were I to do it again, I'd just invest $500 in another fly kettle setup.

But the Kamado Joe sure looks pretty.

View attachment 102678

Doing a New England staple tonight: marinated steak tips. In the pouring rain, of course!
That looks good but looks like chicken o_O;)

'cause it is. Old picture.
Those steak tips look awesome… I saw some at the store a couple weeks ago.. That sizzling beef is making me want to cook some man they look great.
Did you just salt and pepper them? They really look nice.

Rib Eyes tomorrow.

Those steak tips look awesome… I saw some at the store a couple weeks ago.. That sizzling beef is making me want to cook some man they look great.
Did you just salt and pepper them? They really look nice.

Rib Eyes tomorrow.
Steak tips are super easy and cook up great if you can get a grill hot enough (like 700º+). I did a kansas city dry rub on mine tonight and they turned out pretty awesome. Little spicy with the paprika. Little sweet 'cause of the brown sugar. Used this recipe for the rub.

I rubbed tossed them in the rub and stuck them in the fridge last night. 15 minutes of prep. Super easy. It was about 3 1/2 lbs of tips.

You're going to cook them over super high heat, pretty close to the charcoal. You want to really blast the outside, but keep the inside pink and hot. Maybe 4 minutes a side or less if they're cut super thin. This is not walk-away-from-the-grill cooking. It's fast. And delicious.

It kinda looked like a hot and fast cook I saw the screaming hot coals. That’s what I’m going to do with the bone in ribeyes tomorrow. Just salt and pepper for seasoning.
Thanks for the recipe that rub is like the rub I make when I do pork butts. I’ll have to look up my pork butt recipe and post it.
It’s a recipe i found online and have tweaked it to my liking. I used to inject the butts butt by accident I forgot to on a cook and after I pulled the pork I poured the injection fluid on the pork and that’s the way I do it now…

For any heathens out there still using lighter fluid, do yourself a huge favor and get a chimney starter.

81mvI4chyDL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Works so much better and your food doesn't smell and taste like an oil refinery. I cringe every time I catch a whiff that crap in my neighborhood.
Burned through a few of these. Big 👍!!

Works so much better and your food doesn't smell and taste like an oil refinery. I cringe every time I catch a whiff that crap in my neighborhood.

Yup. You can smell a griller full of bad habits a mile away.

For me, grilling is really an art form (full of technique) that you study
and practice much like music. The biggest difference is that because
everyone with a grill needs to eat it means the world is full of god awful
grillers who do shameful things that they think a little fire and smoke will
overcome.

Thankfully, not everyone needs to play music. :)

It's totally a pork rub. But dang it works well on tips too! :D

The legendary Rodney Scott uses pretty much one dry rub for all different
types and cuts of meat. He even puts the dry rub in with Mayo and Vinegar
to make a version of a Southern White Sauce. That shit's good. I keep a jar
in the fridge for dunking and drizzling.

I just did beer can chicken on the Traeger today and oh my word it was hands down the moistest chicken I have encountered in my 47 years.

The Traeger 575 Pro has turned me into a believer. The temp control, integrated meat thermometer, Wi-Fi to app integration and the pellet sensor are fantastic.The first thing I did was a brisket. Took 14 hours but 100 percent worth it. The Boston Butt pulled pork was also tremendously flavorful.

Back
Top Bottom