Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

Though, if I'm being honest, my favorite way to cook a steak is to sous vide it for 6 hours and then sear it on the grill. You cannot cock that up.

On the rare days that it gets too cold to grill here, I switch to sous vide and a cast iron skillet...but my first choice is still direct grill. I really like the texture contrast the high heat sear gives...kind of like the corner brownies vs the middle of the pan if that makes any sense.

Egg is great smoker as well...will hold 200 for roughly ten hours and temperature control is very precise once you get the hang of the airflow down. Pizza is fun as well.

If you're stuck inside this winter (or during COVID shutdown), I highly recommend the Ninja Foodie Grill! This thing is wonderful. We've grilled all kinds of stuff. Excellent steaks, burgers, wings, ... For $99, it's got my vote. Especially, if you can't grill outside. BTW, easy cleanup too.

For any heathens out there still using lighter fluid, do yourself a huge favor and get a chimney starter.

81mvI4chyDL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Works so much better and your food doesn't smell and taste like an oil refinery. I cringe every time I catch a whiff that crap in my neighborhood.

If you're stuck inside this winter (or during COVID shutdown), I highly recommend the Ninja Foodie Grill! This thing is wonderful. We've grilled all kinds of stuff. Excellent steaks, burgers, wings, ... For $99, it's got my vote. Especially, if you can't grill outside. BTW, easy cleanup too.

Interesting...I've been looking at indoor/smokeless grills lately and this one is also an air-fryer too. Love fries, wings, etc. but don't eat anything deep fried so an air-fryer is just the ticket; a friend has one and I really liked how potato home fries came out on it...not greasy and quite flavorful.

While I can't imagine a completely smokeless grill, how does that one fair as far as smoke, etc.?

Yea, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew it could get hot, but was worried it couldn't be cooled quickly so searing and then baking type cooking would be hard to do.

FWIW, I do the opposite on the Weber -- they call it "reverse sear". The steaks are offset from the coals first for a 8-10 minutes. Flipped, another 8-10. And then you finish by searing and rendering down the fat by moving them directly over the coals for about 60 seconds/side. See: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

Though, if I'm being honest, my favorite way to cook a steak is to sous vide it for 6 hours and then sear it on the grill. You cannot cock that up.
All I do is the reverse sear for steaks now. Takes time (though I usually do on Sundays while watching football all day so no big deal), but impossible to screw it up and results are amazing. I do it this way: buy a 1.5 to 2" thick prime steak (ribeye, NY, filet, works on all 3). Salt either night before or morning of, at least 4 hours before you cook, put on wire rack over a plate in the fridge. Right before cooking, coat with olive oil and generously apply ground peppercorn and thyme on both sides. Preheat over to 200 or 225 F, cook steak on wire rack over a drip pan in center rack of oven until thermometer reads ~115 F in center, then let rest for 25 min. After resting, put on searing hot outdoor grill with cast iron grates close to heat (IR) or coals. Sear both sides for 2 min, and edges for 30 sec each, until good dark char on both sides. Let rest 3-5 min. Enjoy the hell out of it.

One tip I can contribute: I use avocado oil to oil the grill (I know there are proponents who say "oil the food, not the grill"). Avocado oil has a very high smoke point, so it will stay on the grill, doing its job, when other types of oils will have burned away.

We recently were gifted a new Charcoal grill and have been gas grill users for decades. Now it's a little messy, but with the chimney gizmo shown above a few posts, it's amazing. Steaks are 10x's better tasting, everything is. I don't think i'd ever go back to gas. The griddle thing would be cool for some things, but the charcoal adds a ton of flavor. It's like one of those things you don't know you are missing until you have it. IMHO YMMV.

I went Kamado Joe.

It's nice. Definitely does the range of super low to super hot. Not sure it's 5x better than my old Weber kettle though -- which is the cost delta. Looks super nice all red and shiny, that's for certain.

Doing the first brisket on it Memorial Day weekend.

We recently were gifted a new Charcoal grill and have been gas grill users for decades. Now it's a little messy, but with the chimney gizmo shown above a few posts, it's amazing. Steaks are 10x's better tasting, everything is. I don't think i'd ever go back to gas. The griddle thing would be cool for some things, but the charcoal adds a ton of flavor. It's like one of those things you don't know you are missing until you have it. IMHO YMMV.
Wen I was in the food business our site had a Texas BBQ pit, everyday the line cooks would shovel Lazzara's Mesquite into it and fire that bad boy up before lunch, without a doubt, burgers, steaks, chicken, lobster, portabella mushrooms, i.e. anything cooked on it turned out way better than any gas grill could possibly do... next time your getting charcoal for your grill try a bag off Mesquite you wont regret it.
Now I did it, I'm hungry...

I went Kamado Joe.

It's nice. Definitely does the range of super low to super hot. Not sure it's 5x better than my old Weber kettle though -- which is the cost delta. Looks super nice all red and shiny, that's for certain.

Doing the first brisket on it Memorial Day weekend.

Enjoy! :)

I love the 16 to 20 hour marathon of smoking an whole Brisket. Not including
the wrap and rest that can add a few more hours to the entire process.

I have smoked about an half dozen of them in the past year. Was buying Choice
Brisket for as low as $2.99/lb. Supplier said with all the bar and restaurant closures
there was a glut of Brisket on the market. Guessing that is over now.

I use a Big green egg and have been going to Eggtoberfest for years. The BGE is the The bomb Diggity.
I make homemade pizza they cook in 4 - 6 minutes
Pork butts 18 hr Cook and after I pull them instead of injecting them I pour that fluid on them. Oh baby
Steaks 8-12 minutes
Chicken hr 1 1/2
Ribs 2-4 hr
I make my own whole ham, pastrami, Canadian bacon Etc...

The BGE is the only thing I use have I have been cooking on it for 12-13 years I put new seals on it every year.
There is a learning curve but once you get it dialed in the thing is amazing. I wish I would have had it earlier in life because it’s the only cooker I would have ever needed.

I cook on it a lot this picture is getting ready for an 18 hr cook Low and slow I cook all night long then when the temperature internally reaches 195 I put about a 1/4 cup of Apple juice in tin foil and wrap them take the temp to 205 then set in a cooler for several hours and pull. My rub is my own homemade rub use any rub you want.
Cook 225-250

1621712481998.jpeg

My thing is I grill 3-4 times a week minimum. If I had to deal with charcoal every time, it would probably really change how often I used my grill. Especially getting home from work later than normal. Maybe on a weekend it would be nice, but for convenience, gas wins.

I like the griddle idea, but I would like more of a 50/50 thing. I have a large cast iron flat thing in the kitchen on half the stove. I guess it's pretty standard in a lot of Mexican homes for making tortillas and things. Better access than my cast iron pans. I have a smaller square one I use on the grill at times, but a larger surface would be nice.

My thing is I grill 3-4 times a week minimum. If I had to deal with charcoal every time, it would probably really change how often I used my grill. Especially getting home from work later than normal. Maybe on a weekend it would be nice, but for convenience, gas wins.
Yea, gas wins for convience for certain. Best of both worlds is really what you want! :D

I like gas for the convenience for sure. But being retired I have plenty of time and really enjoy my big green egg.
We are in the process of building a new house and I am going to put a gas cook station on the back porch along with my big green egg.
I have to say I started using Royal Oak lump charcoal and there is very little Ash when you’re done cooking so I don’t have to clean out the egg all that often and I use it all the time I grill like you to two or three times a week or more.

Check this out these guys cooked these suckling pigs at eggtoberfest the last time we went in Atlanta They were stupid good we got to eat some of them. The beer was cold and the pork was awesome :)

1621810438584.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom