Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

So, a griddle? Like you are pan frying everything? o_O

Don't get me wrong - I love a flat cooking surface for certain stuff but would still want a true grill for most cooking. I do plan on having something like this down the road when we settle down, but for now will suffer through a cheap $100 grill every couple years.

Last edited:
So, a griddle? Like you are pan frying everything? o_O

Don't get me wrong - I love a flat cooking surface for certain stuff but would still want a true grill for most cooking. I do plan on having something like this down the road when we settle down, but for now will suffer through a cheap $100 grill every couple years.

Yup , a griddle. Kicks every grill's ass sideways and upside down - that I've owned.
I did the cheap grill thing , then the expensive grill thing , now this.

I "smash" my burgers now too.

To each his own , of course , but I'm sold , and wanted to share my experience. It has a drip edge by the controls , that leads to a box. Works nice.

I got the 17" Blackstone a couple weeks ago (of course, the larger one just went on sale this weekend).

What are you using to "smash" your burgers?

UBgMTUE.gif

Charcoal is your friend :)

I got the 17" Blackstone a couple weeks ago (of course, the larger one just went on sale this weekend).

What are you using to "smash" your burgers?

I have a large , wide spatula. Right now I'm using a plastic disc with a handle on it. It's something the wife picked up. It's supposed to be part of a "burger press" (I believe that's what it's called). I'm just using the handheld part, and I press the burger onto the griddle with it. Spatula works too.

I form a golf ball-sized ball of hamburger, then press it onto the griddle , so it's only 1/4" thick. Season, let it brown ,flip. I generally serve 2 thin burgers to a bun. They cook up fast , and with 2 burgers , you get double the surface area for flavor.
Google - smashing burgers. It's the reason I wanted the griddle. I just found it works great in place of my old grill for just about everything.

I'm going to stick with the reverse sear on the Weber kettle, but that looks handy for sure.

I bought a Primo Large Oval ceramic grill a couple years ago. I had used and loved Webber kettles for decades. The Primo, much like the Big Green Egg, is a major step up from the Webers. I absolutely love it.

I am in the process now of creating a rolling BBQ table to house the Primo. I am also looking into incorporating the 17" Blackstone Griddle into the table and have the best of both worlds. I would never ditch one for the other as they have different functionality. Pretty hard to slow cook or smoke on a griddle. :)

And I cannot recommend, as you noted, the reverse sear method highly enough. Perfect steaks and roasts cooked evenly throughout... every time!!!!

I hear ya fellas. I'm enjoying playing Mel from Alice , perhaps too much.
Aside from the knife twirling , I was feeling like I worked at a Japanese steak house , running the hibatchi , a few nights ago , with 4 different temperature zones , covered with food.
I'm no master cook , and I'm sure some of you guys would have me going home with my tail between my legs , after a cook-off. Lol.

I'm going to stick with the reverse sear on the Weber kettle, but that looks handy for sure.

Love my Weber kettle (charcoal only or it's not a BBQ/braai) but what I've noticed is the newer Webers (say in the last 8 years or so) seem to be lower quality than the earlier ones. My first Weber was originally my dad's and he passed it onto me when it was over 10 years old, now it's 20 years and still going (with my sister). I bought a new one 8 years ago, and have already had to replace half of the parts on it.

I'm considering other kettle options now....:rolleyes:

Love my Weber kettle (charcoal only or it's not a BBQ/braai) but what I've noticed is the newer Webers (say in the last 8 years or so) seem to be lower quality than the earlier ones. My first Weber was originally my dad's and he passed it onto me when it was over 10 years old, now it's 20 years and still going (with my sister). I bought a new one 8 years ago, and have already had to replace half of the parts on it.

I'm considering other kettle options now....:rolleyes:

Seriously. look into the ceramic kettles. A lot more money but well worth it. My Primo Oval is like a old school Weber on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom