Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

I went from the cheap charcoal grills in my younger days to gas, to gas with a flat surface as well as grill and finally back to charcoal. For me, a cast iron grill over lump charcoal can't be beat for direct, indirect or smoking. The flavor is so much better.

But I'm no grill snob, if someone else is cooking I'll eat from any of the above. :)

Looking good @iaresee ! I'm about to do something similar tomorrow. I have 10 Filets to Sous-vide and sear in butter on a flat-surface grill. I need to try a brisket sous-vide. Haven't tried that method yet.
So far so good. It came out of the water feeling soft but holding its shape. There’s a lovely bark forming on it now in the kettle.

Sous vide for meat produces effortlessly amazing results IMHO.

Nice Grill! However, don't be afraid to branch out into everything. I use the following:

Ceramic Kamado - Mainly for Smoking Pork, Ribs, Pizza, or anything where I want a real fire
Electric Smoker - Pork Butts, Ribs and I'm feeling especially lazy
Gas Grill - Hot dogs, Burgers, Vegetables. Wife Zone
Sous-Vide - Filet Mignon, Pork Tenderloins. When I'm being a perfectionist.
Truth is, each type of cooking is different and yields something unique. I vary what I'm using based on whatever my mood ring is telling me. :)

+1 on sous vide for steaks and chops, with a reverse sear (grill or hot iron skillet). the Anova has worked well for me.

Lol .I'm going to change the title of this thread.
Keep it coming fellows. I originally wanted to show my love for the new griddle , but I'm happy to take in all the great outdoor cooking knowledge around here. Good stuff.

Best BBQ tip I got was the gift of a book called something How to Barbecue by Steve Raichlen (or something like that). Great book. The recipes for roasted peppers, smoked potatoes, beer can chicken, vietnamese ribs and more are terrific.

I know this thread has been dead for almost 2 years, but I kept reading it and decided that I wanna share my opinion. All the cooking devices are cool toys, but for me the main thing is my grill brush. The same piece of meat can be cooked with the same spices, but it would be completely different being cooked on a clean and greasy grill. I hated washing it with simple dishwashing sponges, cause they did nothing. So my rule number one, make sure that your grill surface is crystal clear before you cook.

Last edited:
XL Big Green Egg, convEGGtor, some good hardwood lump charcoal, cast iron grill grate, and I’ll make you anything from smoked pork to pizza as good as you’ve ever had!

Yep!

Big green egg with the right charcoal (jealous devil) is a ribeye machine.
Like the axe, one of the best purchases I’ve made.

Yep!

Big green egg with the right charcoal (jealous devil) is a ribeye machine.
Like the axe, one of the best purchases I’ve made.
What's your method for the BGE and ribeyes? I'm considering one for the spring. My Weber kettle didn't make the journey to NH from CA with us.

What's your method for the BGE and ribeyes? I'm considering one for the spring. My Weber kettle didn't make the journey to NH from CA with us.

I keep it pretty simple...start with some quality grass fed grass finished cuts roughly the width of two piano keys or slightly larger...its import to keep the thickness consistent so as to not have to adjust temp or time.

light coat of EVO followed dry rub mix to taste...cover and let come to room temp while grill come up to temp.

If I am going to be doing steaks ill use a really dense lump charcoal like jealous devil as it burns hotter than most others I've used.

Run it wide open until temp hits 700. Sear each side for two minutes, then shut the vents down and let sit for six minutes, remove, let sit for a couple of minutes. Comes out perfectly seared on the outside but melts on the inside... some garlic butter and some hot English mustard and its as good any high end steak house... got guests or a special occasion? then splurge for the Waygu and its another level.

I have been doing Carnivore for a while now, and grill 4-5 times a week...its almost impossible to screw anything up on those things. You can cook nearly anything on them and everything tastes better than any gas or charcoal grill I've used before. Like the AxeFx, In terms of purchase's I've made that far exceed my expectations.

Did the Stones sing, "I'm jumpin' Jack Flash it's a charcoal, charcoal, charcoal?" Nahhhh
iu

Salmon is one of my favourite things to BBQ. Get a filet with the skin on to hold it together. Sprinkle with a teriyaki sauce or the flavour of your choice. Cook over low heat until it starts to flake. Serve with rice and green beans.

00265CF6-28BD-42A6-B832-AE63F3688078.jpeg

Run it wide open until temp hits 700. Sear each side for two minutes, then shut the vents down and let sit for six minutes, remove, let sit for a couple of minutes.
Yea, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew it could get hot, but was worried it couldn't be cooled quickly so searing and then baking type cooking would be hard to do.

FWIW, I do the opposite on the Weber -- they call it "reverse sear". The steaks are offset from the coals first for a 8-10 minutes. Flipped, another 8-10. And then you finish by searing and rendering down the fat by moving them directly over the coals for about 60 seconds/side. See: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

Though, if I'm being honest, my favorite way to cook a steak is to sous vide it for 6 hours and then sear it on the grill. You cannot cock that up.

Back
Top Bottom