Anyone want TWO free Blackback IRs?

weird, the stigma is usually exactly the opposite. can't wait to try this. thanks man!
I guess it kinda depends on the modeler. I feel like I can always pick out a Kemper or a Line6 when I see bands playing live. They sound fine, but lack a certain "life" and "energy" on the top end. On the other hand, to your point, some VST amp modelers can be really synthetic on the top end. The Fractal is very realistic overall, so it makes it easy to get an authentic tone with an open sounding IR. At least, that's my experience.

I guess it kinda depends on the modeler. I feel like I can always pick out a Kemper or a Line6 when I see bands playing live. They sound fine, but lack a certain "life" and "energy" on the top end. On the other hand, to your point, some VST amp modelers can be really synthetic on the top end. The Fractal is very realistic overall, so it makes it easy to get an authentic tone with an open sounding IR. At least, that's my experience.

Thanks Justin. I'm on that IR. I still struggle a little with Strat tones on the dirty side...

As far as dialing in, so many folks do it in a vacuum, so 'by yer lonesome' tones rarely translate well to band mix (my personal experience is that I spend too much time in the bassist's range...and I get lost in the mix.) Top end that is piercing alone has a nice glitter when there's stuff around it to balance it out.

R

Thanks Justin. I'm on that IR. I still struggle a little with Strat tones on the dirty side...

As far as dialing in, so many folks do it in a vacuum, so 'by yer lonesome' tones rarely translate well to band mix (my personal experience is that I spend too much time in the bassist's range...and I get lost in the mix.) Top end that is piercing alone has a nice glitter when there's stuff around it to balance it out.

R
You hit the nail on the head. I think most guys dial in tones for solo use rather than crafting it to be part of a mix. I'm guilty of it too and would create patches that sounded amazing on their own but would disappear when I played with the band. I've had to learn how to embrace the right kinds of midrange and top end along with cutting low end... pretty much the opposite of a good bedroom tone, but it sounds fantastic when it's in context with a full band.

Here's another free one. It came from the bottom left speaker (the other 1975 blackback in the cab). It's got a little more oomph to it. I've been liking it a lot with the Friedmans for ballsy rhythm work. It's a bit more scooped sounding than the "TR Test" IR but still retains a cool vintage vibe to it.

Attachments

• YA 412 LONDON 57 BL G 5.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 131
they pair together really nicely too. using the volume control on the TR speaker lets you fine tune how much cut you've got going on, tasty as always Justin!

R
see I always think mix first...even if it sounds not so great on it's own. I'd rather cut live...

Wow thanks a lot Leon for the vid and the explainations of what you tweak cause its very helpfull for me to have another sight of tweaking. Very kind of you Leon to have done this work. I like both irs with the BE, although I tend to like the first test ir more and if you mix both and finetune them with the ir level I got great results last night with BE, Recto Mdrn and 5153. Unfortunately I might not have a chance today to try your settings but looking forward to so.:cool::)

EDIT: Couldn't resist and had a quick try with the BE through my Matrix Q12a at bedroom level and sounds much better than the first ir for this amp settings - great tone thanks.

Last edited:
I've recorded a little slow blues with the first ir "YA 412 London 57 TR TEST" and Leons @2112 amp settings with the Brit 800 I've just added a tad with the TS808 and same little delay. Nice bite to the tone - not so smooth as I normaly do but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom