Anyone want Improvements in Axe-Fx User Interface?

For all the improvements that could be made to Axe-Edit, I'd place "sexier interface" below dead last. In addition to the oft requested IR management improvements, I'd vote for the ability to change every Axe parameter so that I only have to touch the front panel for the very rare times when I don't have a laptop.

Any improvements would likely be a new product. It is what it is. There are other products with slick interfaces that you can buy instead.

well that is unnecessary. “If you don’t like it buy something else”. I think there’s nothing wrong with ppl voicing their wishes and views. Of course there are ppl responding with statements that show that they have no idea what they are talking about, but in this forum it is “cleaned” by members who do. Rick before you said it very well. He talked about choices and priorities. And yes, it is what it is.
Harm

+1 on liking the current layout of Axe-Edit. Then again, I've had Fractal stuff since the Standard, so part of it might just be the comfortability of it :p

I think the UI is fine... I do think there is room for "intuitive-ness improvement" if that makes sense? Things that streamline a workflow...for example... copy scene 1 to scene 2. My intuition says right click on the scene 1 radial (square) button at the top to copy and paste to scene 2. But instead you have to go to scene manager and click the scene button on the far left. I'm sure there is a reason it was done that way. Or it appears you can only rename the scene at the top of the editor and not within scene manager... that's counter intuitive that you couldn't rename it also within scene manager.

It's not a big deal but little improvements such as this could go along way to the over all user experience and workflow

The color coding in AxeEdit can be really helpfull to organize the cab list and make IR selection easier along with the search and audition functions. Navigating big IR packs is a tough use case to design for within a menu'd/folder system because of the often large number of captures and all the elements that users want to key into:
  • IR Brand (ML, Ownham, ...)
  • Cab Type (Open, Closed ...)
  • Cab Size (212,412...)
  • Speaker type (V30, Greenbk...)
  • Mic type (57,121...)
  • Mic placement (Fromt/Rr, On/Off Axis...)
  • Mic position (inches from cap...)

Its a lot, even for a really good menu'd system, and even if a great "file picker" process is available, a GUI'd IR picker is much faster to use when auditioning IRs.

But is it worth doing in Axefx? - I don't think so really as I suspect it
would suck reasources away from what Fractal does best and if we want a GUI'd IR picker, there's 3rd partys that can provide it. For the smallish collection of cab IRs in Axefx, the search, color coding, and naming standard in place are sufficient.

I feel it's imprtant to keep on mind in this type of discussion, how good AxeEdit is - having used the editors of a number of modellers, and coming from a sw development background, I'm really impressed with how efficient AxeEdit is to use and far it has evolved - I remember challenging times when the early releases of AxeEdit were in progress - kudos to the Fractal Editor team for the hard work they've put into AxeEdit - it shows in this excellent product

The problem with cabs is that there is no common standard of metadata that you would need to organize this. This isn't the first time this has been discussed. It would be great, but trying to get everyone to do it would be difficult, and any one not doing it could throw a wrench into it. It would be simple enough to embed the data, but also, everyone that made any software that used IRs, would need to parse the metadata, or they would end up with a trashed IR if they assumed it was all wav data or whatever.

well that is unnecessary. “If you don’t like it buy something else”. I think there’s nothing wrong with ppl voicing their wishes and views. Of course there are ppl responding with statements that show that they have no idea what they are talking about, but in this forum it is “cleaned” by members who do. Rick before you said it very well. He talked about choices and priorities. And yes, it is what it is.
Harm

Is it really unnecessary? I’m not so sure… As it’s been said many times no product is for everyone.

We are discriminating buyers… Sophisticated even…I’m totally cool with the way Cliff runs his company.

Do you know that is who you’re talking to; right?

Is it really unnecessary? I’m not so sure… As it’s been said many times no product is for everyone.

We are discriminating buyers… Sophisticated even…I’m totally cool with the way Cliff runs his company.

Do you know that is who you’re talking to; right?

No I did not know that it is Cliff. Furthermore I gave my opinion in an earlier post where I gave my view, which is positive. So all good there. Still I stand for what I said. Yes you can say: well folks, we made choices concerning software, layout, budget, etc. It is what it is. So far I am fine with it. All I am saying is: don’t say “if you don’t like it, buy something else”. That is not the tone of voice we go for on this forum. We share views and opinions, debate them. And eventually agree or agree to disagree. Play the ball, not the knee. The response, in my opinion, wasn’t to content.

Anyway. Said and done. Let’s move on pls.

Harm

There's no doubt we're a spoilt bunch, but I doubt it's the majority. As others have said, if you have ever used software that comes with certain other products, they absolutely suck donkeys' nuts. It feels like the editors are often a hasty afterthought, if they even work consistently.

OTOH, I have never felt like in Axe Edit that there is anything crucial that I don't know how to do, or that bugs or klunk are getting in the way. It's all business: click the thing, edit the thing, play guitar. There are small tweaks to make, like copy/pasting channels, that can be made and are regularly made. I honestly don't know what else to expect!

Sometimes I feel like consumers think software should be a form of entertainment rather than a tool.

You can argue that the Axe's on unit UI is somewhat utilitarian but Axe-Edit is best in class in the industry as a preset editor. The grid, controllers, etc, pretty effortless given the level of complexity.

Stuff like Amplitube does not have to interface with a physical hardware unit. Also, if you watch that vid, the splitters etc, are still klunky in spite of that...

IMHO.

Two Thoughts:

1) Why is it that waaay too often on this board someone (maybe a set of "fresh eyes") comes up with a "wish" and then promptly receives snarky/unhelpful/personal comments from Users braying in essence "I like it the way it is and what a stupid idea you've just suggested because everyone with a brain knows that the AFX3 is the best unit on the planet in every respect that matters". If you don't have something constructive to add then say nothing – or at least steer your post to "I believe it's great the way it is because...". Sharing your viewpoint with the intent of helping others is terrific, but few if any benefit from a display of your dizzying intellect and vast experience when used just to shoot someone else down. We need new users to stick around here – you never know who the next Leon is going to be...

2) With respect to the all-important User Friendliness issue of the OP, I still hold out hope for the use of button-cap colors besides BLACK. Being blessed with the ability to see different colors (!) I'd love to see maybe a GREEN "Home" button, a RED "enter" button, maybe some YELLOW up/down/left/right cursor buttons, etc. etc. Sure would make those times when I can't pull open AE3 a little easier to quickly find my way around the front panel on a poorly lit stage – and, last time I checked, the button cap color has a microscopic-if-any effect on unit price (Cliff would know). A big UI improvement for free, I'd say!

Compared to Kemper’s Rig Manager, Axe Edit is a dream to use and just makes sense to me. Still, not sure why people get all riled up by suggestions though. Also not sure why asking for improvements in UI means that there has to be a compromise on sound.

No I did not know that it is Cliff. Furthermore I gave my opinion in an earlier post where I gave my view, which is positive. So all good there. Still I stand for what I said. Yes you can say: well folks, we made choices concerning software, layout, budget, etc. It is what it is. So far I am fine with it. All I am saying is: don’t say “if you don’t like it, buy something else”. That is not the tone of voice we go for on this forum. We share views and opinions, debate them. And eventually agree or agree to disagree. Play the ball, not the knee. The response, in my opinion, wasn’t to content.

Anyway. Said and done. Let’s move on pls.

Harm
There is no tone in text.
You read it as you perceive it, its text. Additional he did not say "if you don't like it buy something else." That is you having an emotional response lol.

Maybe you want to read his post again.

Cliff has never been rude to any of his customers in the 7.5 years I've been here and trust me when I say we've seen a fair number of complete asshats.

Additional he did not say "if you don't like it buy something else." That is you having an emotional response lol.

"There are other products with slick interfaces that you can buy instead."

Actually Cliff DID say that (as is his right) – with very slightly different words, but his meaning was crystal.
And, yes, there IS tone in text – words matter. Just ask Shakespeare, lol.

Two Thoughts:

1) Why is it that waaay too often on this board someone (maybe a set of "fresh eyes") comes up with a "wish" and then promptly receives snarky/unhelpful/personal comments from Users braying in essence "I like it the way it is and what a stupid idea you've just suggested because everyone with a brain knows that the AFX3 is the best unit on the planet in every respect that matters". If you don't have something constructive to add then say nothing – or at least steer your post to "I believe it's great the way it is because...". Sharing your viewpoint with the intent of helping others is terrific, but few if any benefit from a display of your dizzying intellect and vast experience when used just to shoot someone else down. We need new users to stick around here – you never know who the next Leon is going to be...

2) With respect to the all-important User Friendliness issue of the OP, I still hold out hope for the use of button-cap colors besides BLACK. Being blessed with the ability to see different colors (!) I'd love to see maybe a GREEN "Home" button, a RED "enter" button, maybe some YELLOW up/down/left/right cursor buttons, etc. etc. Sure would make those times when I can't pull open AE3 a little easier to quickly find my way around the front panel on a poorly lit stage – and, last time I checked, the button cap color has a microscopic-if-any effect on unit price (Cliff would know). A big UI improvement for free, I'd say!

Yes. There's a fine line between disagreeing with somebody's suggestion and being dismissive. I think it's fair to say the forum members here (and I'm as guilty as anybody) cross that line from time to time. You can argue the target of these replies should have a thicker skin, but the fact is it hurts FAS and all of us when somebody feels their wish is derided, because that can discourage people from providing feedback that could help to make the products better for all of us. It's the internet and civility is hard to come by, and this forum is better than most, but it's in our collective best interest to keep people encouraged to post new wishes.

You read it as you perceive it, its text. Additional he did not say "if you don't like it buy something else." That is you having an emotional response lol.

Maybe you want to read his post again.

Cliff has never been rude to any of his customers in the 7.5 years I've been here and trust me when I say we've seen a fair number of complete asshats.
There is tons of tone in text. Word choice makes or breaks 'tone' in text. Wading into a conversation with a chip on one's shoulder is made glaringly obvious through the words chosen....

Back
Top Bottom