Anyone using / used the EHX 44 Magnum with their Axe II XL?

Alabama man

Inspired
I'm considering buying an EHX 44 Magnum power amp on the cheap since I don't have a power amp to run my axe through atm. I would be using it through a vertical ported 2x12 by jackson amp works that has a celestion gold and greenback inside. So no FRFR for now.

Was hoping some of you could chime in with your experiences using the 44 magnum and if it will be 'good enough' for now until I get a Matrix power amp.

Last edited:
I'm using it. It may not be as loud as a Matrix but it's extremely neutral. From what I've heard the Magnum 44 is more neutral than Matrix.

I've enjoyed using one for awhile, I do use a carvin dcm1540L regularly but the EHX 44 magnum is my backup power amp. Definitely a good cheap small amp to have and start with.

I'm using it. It may not be as loud as a Matrix but it's extremely neutral. From what I've heard the Magnum 44 is more neutral than Matrix.

Only other things I've heard when comparing the two are that the Matrix has more headroom, "tube" feel and more low end than the 44 mag. I don't think the Mag wins over the matrix in terms of sound, but for the size and price . . . I'm just curious as to how drastically different the two are.

Well the smaller (800) Matrix does have 20 times the wattage, so yeah, I'd imagine it has more headroom. The .44 is a fine little poweramp you can find for a hundred bucks or so, the Matrix is a fine big poweramp you can find for 800 bucks or so, probably not the typical cross shopping decision.

I have a .44 I run into various cabs, no complaints with it at all, but I've yet to need to knock down buildings with my cabinets.

Well the smaller (800) Matrix does have 20 times the wattage, so yeah, I'd imagine it has more headroom. The .44 is a fine little poweramp you can find for a hundred bucks or so, the Matrix is a fine big poweramp you can find for 800 bucks or so, probably not the typical cross shopping decision.

I have a .44 I run into various cabs, no complaints with it at all, but I've yet to need to knock down buildings with my cabinets.

Yeah, probably not best to compare the two since they're two different beasts altogether. Just mainly looking for something to get me off the ground with my Axe II XL to see if I should invest into a legit power amp. As long as the 44 mag. can get louder than my deluxe reverb reissue in terms of clean power, I'll be happy.

Also, I've read several places that the .44 runs most optimally at 8 ohms in terms of wattage / clean headroom. My 2x12 is a 16 ohm cab. Will this cut down the wattage / headroom noticeably?

Back
Top Bottom