Anyone using the new Avatar 2x12 "Stage Monitors" yet?

Velociryan

I am currently running a QSC RMX1450 into a Marshall MF400 4x12 cab but was looking for something a little more portable. I was thinking two of these in stereo would be pretty cool. Anyone using these yet? http://avatarspeakers.com/

That looks fugly. I had two Mesa 1x12 Theile cabs at one time that I just angled up with stands. They sounded great.

No experience with it, but FWIW, based on my having heard nothing but rave reviews of Avatar cabs by lots of friends who use them, I'd not be afraid to give them a shot. For the most part, everyone I know uses Avatar cabs, except for the people who use Emperor. Other than those two brands, nobody I know seems to use anything else anymore.

The only wedge I have is an old Traynor with 8's in it. I would not recommend it for anything important. We use it for vocal monitoring at band practice, and it works okay for that though not great.

I'm a HUGE fan of cabs like this with the speakers aimed upwards. I'm also a fan of amp stands, kick-back legs (like on those big Fender combos), chairs, and anything else that points the speaker at the guitarist so that (s)he can hear how EFFING BRIGHT AND PAINFULLY PIERCING their tone is. </rant>

No kidding. A lot of guitarists I've heard play live have a super shrill high end like the presence in jacked all the way up. These are the guys that tweak their amps while standing above or even behind ther speaker cabinet then never listen to how it sounds when you're in front of it. Really makes for a painful night.
I always try to get my tone to sound best when I stand about 10 feet in front of my 4x12. This to me is what the audience hears and also what the microphone is going to pick up. Playing live with these wedge speakers would keep the icepicks out of the crowd and help keep stage volume under control.

There are several of them who I really want to mic from the side. Seriously, they sound great from side-stage... about 90 degrees off-axis.

Back on-topic, I've got an Avatar 1x12 closed-back cab (loaded with their Hellatone speaker) and love it. I know that one product being good doesn't mean another product will be good too, but that's all I can offer in terms of actual experience.

Back
Top Bottom