• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Anyone using the Matrix CFR12 with their AX8/Axe FX? How does it compare to the FR212?

Georgy

Inspired
Hey Fractals,

I'm days away from getting a pair of CFR12s and I can't wait. I've always had a thing for the FR212 but here in Australia they are extremely hard to come by, let alone hear one and play one. So I've managed to score a pair of CFR12s which I will use with a solid state power amp. The good thing about having a pair is obviously the spread of sound and the extra volume and probably headroom that I will get from 2. PLUS, they can be placed in a back-line position or used as a wedge – so there’s various ways they can be used. COOL!

Having never heard them or the FR212, I am curious to know if anyone has had a chance to compare the CFR12 with the FR212? I imagine there would be more bottom-end from the FR212 given it’s more cab-like, or rather, more 2x12-like?

Any info on these, from first-hand experience would be appreciated.

NOTE, I play in an originals hard-rock band with another guitarist who uses his Mesa Roadster in 4CM with his Axe-ii, which is quite a loud and punchy setup, so I ideally I’d like to be able to compete with that.

Thanks.

Georgy

Inspired
Haven't had the chanse to compare the two, but I got my FR 212 a couple of weeks ago.
Man, that thing moves air ! My Zilla Fatboy cab is totally left in the dust !
I would say it plays like 3/4th of a 4x12. I've got three 4x12 cabs to compare with (5150 III, CAA with V-30/G12T75 and a TT-cabs loaded with Emi superV) and none of them are getting any use anymore.:(
I would try to get the 212 if I were you. I've tried that route with 2 Mesa Thile 1x12, and that didn't exactly rock my world.
Now all I need to do, is to sell a couple of 4x12's to finance another FR212 :p

Great insight friend - thank you :)

Habuman

Experienced
Don't have a Matrix but finally received my XiTone 1x12 active a few weeks back. Still need to do a better comparison against my Friedman but right now (both have been used in a live setting without a thorough test. Didn't have time):

Friedman ASM-12 = more low end and lots of thump. More than enough volume.

XiTone = more clarity and cut. More than enough volume. (think the Matrix will be close to this???)

But combined together these two cabs produce a big tone that sits well throughout the mix. Hopefully this week will get some studio time to test both and record a quality video.

Top Bottom