Anyone using the Fender Tonemaster with Fractal?

DGD

I am planing to buy Blond Tonemaster DR and use it instead of studio monitors.
Can you please share your recording experience with fractal and tonemaster?
Are you able by pass the tonemaster?
How you connect?
How you record?
I am trying to find out best way to combine these two?
Is there any benefit to fractal or your sound?
Thank you

Last edited:
Not the same thing as studio monitors at all. No FX loop so you are coloring everything you plug into it with whatever TM tones. I would not combine these two unless you want to use the TM as a pedal platform and use FM9 for pre-effects only.
Thanks. Can you explain the connection, how can I use it as pedal platform?
I

My FM-9 shipped, as soon as I receive it I’ll check it thanks
With your proposed use of the FM9 into a Tone Master, you're sacrificing the sound quality of the modeler and its flexibility. I play with several people who have them and they're OK but the FM9 into a decent FRFR will run circles around it.

For the price of a Tone Master, you can get a good cab such as a Red Sound MF-10 active cab or their ELIS.8 active cab, or what I use, an EV PXM-12MP. You'll only have monaural output, but that's what you'd get from the combo anyway. Search YouTube for "marco fanton mf10" or his ELIS.8 demos as they're good demonstrations of what they can do; Marco is the "MF" part of the name of the cabinets.

I'm sure you know this, but the sweet spot for the Tonemasters is classic Fender tones and control layout with lighter weight and no tube maintenance.

The Fractals can sound like most any amp, plus any of literally thousands of cabs, plus a pile of pedals and a rack of studio effects, and settings for all of that can be saved and recalled with the push of a button.

The only thing they're missing is a relatively neutral power amp and speaker. The Tonemasters aren't really that, so it's not a particularly good match.
What has you looking at the Tonemasters?

I'm sure you know this, but the sweet spot for the Tonemasters is classic Fender tones and control layout with lighter weight and no tube maintenance.

The Fractals can sound like most any amp, plus any of literally thousands of cabs, plus a pile of pedals and a rack of studio effects, and settings for all of that can be saved and recalled with the push of a button.

The only thing they're missing is a relatively neutral power amp and speaker. The Tonemasters aren't really that, so it's not a particularly good match.
What has you looking at the Tonemaster?

I do have Katana 100, I am planing to just sell the katana and get fender blond tonemaster instead I need one anyway just switching one to other.

If you don't want to use the amp modeling in the FM9 you can use it like a regular pedalboard (okay, the most advanced pedalboard on the planet, but still). You can use drive pedals, modulation pedals, time based effects, etc. Guitar into FM9 into amp input. Some people will act all offended and say, "you're wasting the best aspect if you don't use the amp modeling!" Bah. Even if you just use it for its effects it's worth more than its retail price.

With all that said, if you do want to use the amp modeling, you should probably pick a different amp. :) Something with an FX loop.

Do you want to use the Fractal amp modeling? What do you find attractive about the Tonemaster to make you consider getting one?

If you don't want to use the amp modeling in the FM9 you can use it like a regular pedalboard (okay, the most advanced pedalboard on the planet, but still). You can use drive pedals, modulation pedals, time based effects, etc. Guitar into FM9 into amp input. Some people will act all offended and say, "you're wasting the best aspect if you don't use the amp modeling!" Bah. Even if you just use it for its effects it's worth more than its retail price.

With all that said, if you do want to use the amp modeling, you should probably pick a different amp. :) Something with an FX loop.

Do you want to use the Fractal amp modeling? What do you find attractive about the Tonemaster to make you consider getting one?
Thank you for your reply
I am getting really good deal on that! just paying $550 that’s the main reason
But looks like I am going to waste my money and space sounds like

Use the Tonemaster for what it is, a fender sounding amp. Not the best choice for running the amp modeling blocks but who knows you may like it. Best to use a amp with a effects return built into it, but not all amps sound very good that way either. My Mesa Mark V 25 has a effects loop but doesn't work well with my Fractal amp blocks, my Marshall SV20 loves the Fractal in the effects return using the amp blocks

Use the Tonemaster for what it is, a fender sounding amp. Not the best choice for running the amp modeling blocks but who knows you may like it. Best to use a amp with a effects return built into it, but not all amps sound very good that way either. My Mesa Mark V 25 has a effects loop but doesn't work well with my Fractal amp blocks, my Marshall SV20 loves the Fractal in the effects return using the amp blocks
Yeah I've tried the Fractal stuff with some amp fx loops and thought they didn't do them justice. They're great with EVH 50w heads though imo.

Reactions: DGD
I’ve been loving running my fm3 through the front end of a low watt tube blackface style amp and think it sounds even better than my FRFR speaker. Keep in mind a lot of guitar amps doesn’t sounds good that way though too.

Could sound good, could need to switch off amp or cab modeling.

I’d see the TM as a bit of an expensive monitor speaker though all things considered.

Tech21 power engine is like $300 used, had a 12” speaker and built in power amp. I don’t know if things like the reverb, tremolo, amp modeling etc that the TM brings to the table for $899 or whatever they cost adds much value

Again, I’m not one to talk as I’m running a rather pricey booteek tube amp as a monitor speaker lol, but all things considered, I feel the real tube power section etc adds a little something something

Running a great modeler into a great tube amp, vs running modeler into what is basically another modeler if you will.

I have a TMDR and I have used my FM3 in “pedals only” mode into it. It works fine but to be honest, I prefer a couple of analog pedals into the front of it. I have the blonde one with the “no bright cap” firmware. It’s a great sounding amp for what it does. They definitely got it right.

Back
Top Bottom