anyone using the CLR active cabs?

dschaaf

Experienced
I am on the waiting list (as of 4/15) for 2 CLR active cabs. I have noticed that almost everyone seems to be getting the wedges...

As far as sound, I am assuming that the CLR cabs and wedges perform the same...just the form factor is slightly different. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks,
D

I'm pretty sure Tom King posted here somewhere and said that the performance of the wedges and cabs were identical, form being the only difference.

I don't know about now, but at one point they had a bunch of active cabs and no wedges, because as you note, most people seem to be getting wedges. I got one wedge (and have 2 more on order).

I too would rather have 2 active cabs behind me, like a traditional rig. Anyone else use this way?

I'm pretty sure Tom King posted here somewhere and said that the performance of the wedges and cabs were identical, form being the only difference.

I don't know about now, but at one point they had a bunch of active cabs and no wedges, because as you note, most people seem to be getting wedges. I got one wedge (and have 2 more on order).

One thing I see from the demonstration by Pete Thorn, is the wedges can be setup to use like cabs.....might be better to go that option and then you have a wedge or a cab if want?

One thing I see from the demonstration by Pete Thorn, is the wedges can be setup to use like cabs.....might be better to go that option and then you have a wedge or a cab if want?

But is the dispersion the same between the wedge and the cab?

I've been using 2 active cabs on a Rock N Rolla cart (the smallest one with solid wheels) and my rack on top. FYI, the two cabs fit on the cart like is was made for it. I've actually had a number of people ask if the cart came with the speakers. The dispersion is excellent in that position. If you were on an extremely shallow stage it might be an issue, but I'm 6'6" and even just a step away from the cabs and I'm in the dispersion cone. I've been leaving the cabs on the cart for gigs for faster setup and breakdown. I can wheel in and be set up and sound checked in 5 mins. That's from opening the back of my truck to being ready to play. It's just as fast in reverse.

The switch on the back doesn't affect the dispersion. It compensates for the accentuated frequencies you get based on how they are physically placed. The 90degree conical dispersion (45degrees from center in all directions) remains the same. For example, the backline setting compensates for the hyped low end you get when your cab is low and projecting parallel to the floor.

I've been using 2 active cabs on a Rock N Rolla cart (the smallest one with solid wheels) and my rack on top. FYI, the two cabs fit on the cart like is was made for it. I've actually had a number of people ask if the cart came with the speakers. The dispersion is excellent in that position. If you were on an extremely shallow stage it might be an issue, but I'm 6'6" and even just a step away from the cabs and I'm in the dispersion cone. I've been leaving the cabs on the cart for gigs for faster setup and breakdown. I can wheel in and be set up and sound checked in 5 mins. That's from opening the back of my truck to being ready to play. It's just as fast in reverse.

The switch on the back doesn't affect the dispersion. It compensates for the accentuated frequencies you get based on how they are physically placed. The 90degree conical dispersion (45degrees from center in all directions) remains the same. For example, the backline setting compensates for the hyped low end you get when your cab is low and projecting parallel to the floor.

Excellent info, thanks! :)

I have had both and the dispersion is exactly the same. Fortunately we have had such significant firmware updates between me having both that I can't say they sounded the same. When I had the cab I was on 10.0 then I sold it to a friend who just had to try it (assuming my wedges would be coming my way soon). By the time I got my wedges I had much more experience programming the Axe II and was not on 10.10. Given all these variables of course the wedge sounds better to me but again it most likely has noting to do with an inherent difference between the boxes.

I have two cabs, and they work great as backline, PA, whatever. I play a lot of smaller joints with no house PA, etc, and they sound great. I try to keep it off of the ground/floor as that seems to be the optimal way (I have used 1 or both on the floor as well using the backline setting as well.)

Both Tom King and Jay Mitchell (the consulting designer) have stated multiple times that there is no difference in sound between the wedge and cab formats. It seems to be more a matter of taste and/or your normal gigging needs.

TT

Back
Top Bottom