Anyone using the Axe in church worship?

Hey all...I'm a worship player and my church just picked up a couple Ultras on the used market for the guitarists. Obviously, I'm new here. Anyone have any amp sims to share? Right now we're running our analog pedals in front of the Axe Fx so not really looking for any effects-laden patches yet, but would love some tips at setting up some great amps.

Thanks...

Hey all...I'm a worship player and my church just picked up a couple Ultras on the used market for the guitarists. Obviously, I'm new here. Anyone have any amp sims to share? Right now we're running our analog pedals in front of the Axe Fx so not really looking for any effects-laden patches yet, but would love some tips at setting up some great amps.

Thanks...

what type of music?? modern worship?? id lean towards the obvious (vox, matchless, maybe dr. z). maybe something marshallish for more rocking tones.

played worship music for 20 years, used an ultra and a II, those were my go to's.

Hillsong/Jesus Culture/Tomlin type stuff. Just wondering if you guys could share some of the amps/cabs/mics you've setup, parameters you've selected and that kinda thing. I have typically run a clean-to-slightly-broken-up tube amp up until now but I don't really have a frame of reference to any of the classic amps like Vox, Matchless, etc. because I've never played through one. My current live amp is an Egnater. I'm pretty sure I'd melt if I had a chance to plug into a Matchless but since I've not ever played one I don't know what amp/cab to choose on the Ultra to get a good sound.

Hillsong/Jesus Culture/Tomlin type stuff. Just wondering if you guys could share some of the amps/cabs/mics you've setup, parameters you've selected and that kinda thing. I have typically run a clean-to-slightly-broken-up tube amp up until now but I don't really have a frame of reference to any of the classic amps like Vox, Matchless, etc. because I've never played through one. My current live amp is an Egnater. I'm pretty sure I'd melt if I had a chance to plug into a Matchless but since I've not ever played one I don't know what amp/cab to choose on the Ultra to get a good sound.

which Eggy?? ive had almost all of them. Last one was a Tweaker 15 with a huge pedalboard. Honestly, the Voxes with the typical cabs (1x12 or 2x12's with blues or golds) would be a good starting point. set it like you would an amp, slightly broken up.

o yeaaa definitley, i have a huge pedalboard which is a pain to take and use only once in a while, now im at the point where the axe sounds way better, or atleast whats coming out of the front of the house, i just go straight and use in ears, lightest set up ever...so happy....

This is from this past Sunday. I was on Firmware 11 BETA at the time. The guy leading, plays through a tiny terror 15w/7w and runs it on the 15w setting.

Fractal Snippet 8-25 - YouTube

I don't play again until the end of September, so I will have a little time to work on firmware 11 patches. I've read the overall amp output is hotter, so I will have to adjust for that.

I played two services yesterday to a church of 1000. Use an Ultra and MFC 101 and one external Mission Volume/Expression pedal, for when you get a sub par sound guy that falls asleep during you lead riff:) When I am not using it for my worship team, my 12 yr old boy is using it for his youth team. This thing gets a tone of use. It always has the answer to whatever the worship leader chooses for a song, Hillsong, Linconln Brewster, Jesus Culture, Tomlin........and on and on.

I run into an iso cab with a vintage 30. Never have a problem with stage noise, never any complaints from the sound guy. In fact the worship pastor told me, this week, my sounds are always his favorites and we have 4 teams. That always validates my switch from tube amps and pedal boards.

So much more to learn and delve into. But I am not chasing tone, tubes, pedals, wires, irritated team members, and or wife!!

Do you guys have "go to" amp and cab sims to start a patch with? I really like the AC30 but honestly there are way to many parameters to mess with and I never really get anything I am totally happy with. Any amps/cab you recommend that sound great with little adjustment? I didn't have much experience with tube amps before switching to the Axe which I'm sure doesn't help.

Do you guys have "go to" amp and cab sims to start a patch with? I really like the AC30 but honestly there are way to many parameters to mess with and I never really get anything I am totally happy with. Any amps/cab you recommend that sound great with little adjustment? I didn't have much experience with tube amps before switching to the Axe which I'm sure doesn't help.

If you use it like a true ac30 there are not many at all. Actually almost non. For my ac needs I used the Morgan and if using it like the real one I only turn two knobs. Hi cut and level BMT at noon master to the default

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use it like a true ac30 there are not many at all. Actually almost non. For my ac needs I used the Morgan and if using it like the real one I only turn two knobs. Hi cut and level BMT at noon master to the default

I will give it a shot. Maybe my issue isn't with the amp itself but with the drive pedal. I have tried most of them but ended up with the Full OD. I will attach the preset I'm using if I can figure out how. I appreciate the help!

I will give it a shot. Maybe my issue isn't with the amp itself but with the drive pedal. I have tried most of them but ended up with the Full OD. I will attach the preset I'm using if I can figure out how. I appreciate the help!

**Update** At the root of my problem was the IR's. I downloaded OwnHammer's IR's this afternoon and I was blown away by the AC-30 TB. THIS is where I would recommend someone starting with similar issues. Drive pedals still sound terrible but one step and at time. :)

Looks like I settle with the 2x12 Class-A 30watt Silver mix micd with R121 RIB and another 2x12 Class-A 30watt Blue mix with the same mic.

You should not put a mic simulation on a mix cab. The mix cabs already have a microphone (and probably multiple microphones at that) mixed together. The sonic tone of the mic(s) is already burnt into the cabinet. If you then put any of the available microphones on your cabinet, you are miking a mike.

It is sort of like plugging your headphones into your axe fx and then miking the headphones with an SM57, and recording that sound. You are double miking something. With each transfer, the sound gets smaller and smaller and more "tinny" sounding.

You should not put a mic simulation on a mix cab. The mix cabs already have a microphone (and probably multiple microphones at that) mixed together. The sonic tone of the mic(s) is already burnt into the cabinet. If you then put any of the available microphones on your cabinet, you are miking a mike.

It is sort of like plugging your headphones into your axe fx and then miking the headphones with an SM57, and recording that sound. You are double miking something. With each transfer, the sound gets smaller and smaller and more "tinny" sounding.

I kinda of disagree with this statement Yes the mixes have baked in mics but sometimes I find i want add a mic sim to the mix IR's. The old rule around here always ring true, use your ears. I do suggest always using the mix with no mic first but from there anything goes

I am worship pastor and have been leading worship for past twenty years. I have used practically almost all conceivable setups as I lead predominantly with an electric.

Joined the fractal wave back in the ultra days and have never looked back. Right now I am using XL+ with MFC mkiii and go direct to PA.

Wouldn't have it any other way...that's all I can say ...and that says it all.

Back
Top Bottom