Anyone using Speaker Compression?

1.5 - 2 in almost every patch, but admit that I did not even think about retweaking this value since at least one year.

Because of this thread. Re-visited half a dozen presets tonight and for most (Tweed Fenders being the exception) pulled it down from 2-4 range to 0-.75

agree the latest modelling sounds lovely without it!

I use it often and find it to be a very useful tool to get the feel where I want it.
So, tell me more about this getting -- "the feel where I want it" -- thing. :smile:
I fascinates me...

-- I completely missed that Speaker Compression was used to add the expected amount of Speaker Compression back into a High Volume amp tone. Particularly when that tone was being done at lower speaker volumes -- or through an FRFR cab with almost no speaker compression of its own.

So much to still learn...

So, tell me more about this getting -- "the feel where I want it" -- thing. :smile:
I fascinates me...

-- I completely missed that Speaker Compression was used to add the expected amount of Speaker Compression back into a High Volume amp tone. Particularly when that tone was being done at lower speaker volumes -- or through an FRFR cab with almost no speaker compression of its own.

So much to still learn...

Speaker compression makes it feel more like you've got the master volume cranked up without the added drive and low end that you get when you adjust the MV parameter. You can keep the MV of high gain models in the lower range to keep the low end response tight but you still get the liquid lead tone / sustaining thing. I like to set it between 1.5-3.0 or so.

I use it on almost every preset. I think it’s an awesome way to tame high end in a strange and organic way. And I feel like it works great regardless of the type of tone, even for modern preamp gain stuff.

The only time I don’t use is if I happen to forget to tweak that parameter.

I fascinates me...
"Feel" really comes into play when you're playing loud. When your guitar is swimming in the sound from the amp. Resonating with it and reacting to it. The whole room reacts to what you're doing. With a good amp, differences in your attack, and even in your fretting, affect what's happening. The strings start to feel squishy. Like you're squeezing out the notes.

When you're playing at gig levels, you hear and feel things that are undetectable at moderate volume.

"Feel" really comes into play when you're playing loud. When your guitar is swimming in the sound from the amp. Resonating with it and reacting to it. The whole room reacts to what you're doing. With a good amp, differences in your attack, and even in your fretting, affect what's happening. The strings start to feel squishy. Like you're squeezing out the notes.

When you're playing at gig levels, you hear and feel things that are undetectable at moderate volume.
Certain nodes in the room are prone to catching the strings and helping feedback, too. I was, back in the day, really good at feeling the vibrations at those locations, to the point I could get near it and lean a bit and catch the wave. There is a good example, at the end of this track, of me leaning one way, then another, and making the feedback jump harmonics:

Certain nodes in the room are prone to catching the strings and helping feedback, too. I was, back in the day, really good at feeling the vibrations at those locations, to the point I could get near it and lean a bit and catch the wave. There is a good example, at the end of this track, of me leaning one way, then another, and making the feedback jump harmonics:

Damn, the end of that track was just badass.

A bit Sabbath-y... Except the vocal harmonies ;)

Nice playing! Great use of feedback.

I generally leave it at zero myself, or maybe for some cleans add a small touch <1.0.

I never use it. If I need more compression (very rarely) there are several others that sound better.

I generally use a slight bit of compression for clean/mild-OD tones as well, and also like other methods vs the Speaker Compression. I find setting the Speaker Compression to 0.00 feels, and sounds, way more like a tube amp, even at moderate levels.

Absolutely. I always play with settings/functions at a fairly loud, gig level. So many nuances, and feels, are not revealed until you're making some SPL's.

I spent some time tonight playing with the Speaker Compression, using several amps/types/tones and cranked thru my CLR. Definitely like it at 0.00 across the board for clean, OD, crunch, higain, lead amps and tones...everything. The amp really comes alive, and feels more immediate, authentic, and articulate IMO. Add in a bit of pedal compressor for those bluesy, cleaner tones and bam...there you have it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom