Anyone using Speaker Compression?

In the AX8 I use it quite a bit (No FM3 yet, so I have not tried it with newer modelling).

I think, it is an important part of some sounds. Celestion Blues in an AC30 on full tilt compress quite a lot. Also the small old Fender amps with AlNiCo speakers can be fantastic when they are driven to large amounts of speaker compression.

If you are running a Mesa rig with the master at 3-4 into a 300W cabinet with V30's you probably won't have much speaker compression.

Not needed anymore IMHO, as the new impedance curves really do the trick for the feel of a cab, the compression can be set to 0 default now IMHO

I used to use it a lot but with the new modeling I'm finding I keep turning it way down or off. I'm thinking of making the default value 0.

I use it at some level because I liked it so much when it was introduced. Maybe a need to revisit and possibly change my dial-in habits? used to use compressors a lot but rarely do anymore because the raw amp without compressors or drives almost always sounds better to me.

Default value to 0 would be fine, I’d prefer we not remove the feature in it’s entirety as I use it frequently.

I find it helps with giving the impression of a cab at high volume and allows me to add some speaker fatigue and character.

Without it my FRFR cabs can sometimes feel/sound a little too pristine.

I think speaker drive and speaker compression are important parts of some speakers' characteristics. It is something, I have been very happy that Fractal took the time to begin modelling, instead of just relying of the static IR curve. I don't mind if a new default is 0, but I think it would be a mistake to remove it completely.

I think speaker drive and speaker compression are important parts of some speakers' characteristics. It is something, I have been very happy that Fractal took the time to begin modelling, instead of just relying of the static IR curve. I don't mind if a new default is 0, but I think it would be a mistake to remove it completely.

Completely agree

I don’t know why anyone would want to use Speaker DRIVE, other than degrading the tone on purpose.
Speaker DRIVE models speaker distortion, which in general is undesirable.

I went through my presets this morning and wound up setting all to zero, more open and clear. Also adding a little gain enhancer was more desirable. Zero for me.

No, I go to it when tweaking/exploring tones, however, since I'm always able to find tones I'm happy with by sticking close to the more standard controls, I tend to leave speaker comp at default.

I have just left it at default. That being said, it seams that if speaker compression happens in real speakers it should probably be modeled if we are aiming for realism. Maybe it doesn’t sound better but if it sounds more real maybe it should be left in...
I guess it would depend on what we could trade it for. If it could somehow result in a big CPU increase or allow us to have a third amp I would be on board with removing it.

I tend to use it, yes. I wonder if that will change with the new speaker impedance emulation. I'll probably tweak both. Also, I recently upgraded to FW11.01 and I love the sound of the speaker impedance emulation you added to the amp block. It gives me an important part of what I was still missing in every modeler I've heard so far.

Back
Top Bottom