Anyone using Speaker Compression?

I always try both settings (1 and 0) when recording and usually I turn it off.
But I'm always wondering how accurate is that parameter, because if it's not that accurate, could be better leave it off by default as there will be much more options for compression outside the amp block.

I always use it but I also always set the output mode to "SS PA + cab" (even when playing thru FRFR speakers), so there's basically no compression but I like that "modulation" of the low res frequency and the thump it adds with higher time constant values, it makes the lows more lively.

I used to use it a lot but with the new modeling I'm finding I keep turning it way down or off. I'm thinking of making the default value 0.

Hi Cliff, thanks for asking us to weigh in.

Agree -- would like Speaker Comp to default to off in next firmware iteration, at least for amp models who have a current default of 1.0. I went through a dozen go-to amps yesterday using latest 11.1, and found that for most of them I was happier with tone and feel with the amp's Speaker Comp off or very low (0.25) under latest 11.1 firmware. Gracias.

Hi Cliff, thanks for asking us to weigh in.

Agree -- would like Speaker Comp to default to off in next firmware iteration, at least for amp models who have a current default of 1.0. I went through a dozen go-to amps yesterday using latest 11.1, and found that for most of them I was happier with tone and feel with the amp's Speaker Comp off or very low (0.25) under latest 11.1 firmware. Gracias.
If you want try these settings:

• output mode to SS PA + cab
  • time constant to 180ms
  • speaker comp so as to achieve 2-3dB of gain reduction

Let me know how it feels eventually ;)

Doing some preset transfer work lately between units, I found I was using it old presets but not in anything I'd dialed up in the last year. I turned it off during the transfer process and didn't notice much of any difference.

I'm in the same boat - prior to 11, I used it quite a bit - now never touch it from default, and maybe should try it off!

Back
Top Bottom