Anyone using Speaker Compression?

Fluence apparently based off of Cycfi‘s FRFR approach, but they obviously EQ their circuit boards, especially per artist signature.....Fluence is a new active, it has a pre amp, and 2 circuit boards (not wiring), and apparently it is essentially a balance between FRFR and “active” EQ’ed, like a Cycfi is an active FRFR, Lace and Qtuner are passive FRFR, Fishman is somewhere in the middle.....and IMHO, best option for metal ATM

No, he is just taking liberties with the phrase. ...they are however, virtually free from inductance and hum issues and are pretty revolutionary IMO.
Exactly

Taken from Fishman, just for your reference, instead of making you read a bunch of links......
Fishman Fluence pickups are the first real re-imagining of electric guitar pickups in over 80 years. Before we embarked on the Fluence journey, our team established some important ground rules:

The tones of the great classic and aftermarket pickups are the benchmarks by which all other pickups are judged. These tones and timbres are not negotiable; they are the sound of electric guitars. Period.

• Fluence pickups are true Multi-Voice. Coil taps and other switching can yield
    different sounds, but they can’t transform your pickups from vintage to hot,
    or from hot to “line-in” clean… with no losses in output level.
  • Fluence pickups are quiet. Single coils hum, and all standard pickups are susceptible to spurious noise—even humbuckers! No sacrifice of classic tone for quiet operation.
  • Fluence pickups allow you to own the stage. Long cables? No problem. 20’, 30’, 50’ or more, with no signal degradation.
  • Fluence pickups let you control your volume, without sacrificing high end or clarity.
  • Fluence pickups will run for days on a standard 9-volt battery, or with the optional rechargeable lithium-ion pack — never change batteries again
Fishman stresses that its Fluence pickups aren't about messing with the great tone of vintage favorites, but changing the way pickups are made. At the heart of the new pickups is the Fluence Core – two 48-layer boards, each interconnected layer packing printed mini coils and a spacer inbetween. True Multi-Voice electronics allows for the creation of the kind of classic colors and timbres you've come to expect from great guitar pickups, but without any of the annoying problems.

Each Fluence pickup can be wired up to toggle between different voices via a push/pull pot, or set to a favorite. Players can select a hum-free vintage 50 single coil tone, for example, and then switch to a fat, overwound Texas Strat sound, but without sacrificing any high end presence. The instrument's volume knob can be rolled back, and guitarists can still look forward to the same high end response and fidelity they'd get at full whack.

I understand the way the Fluences work I was just wondering if they had a set with a voice set up with a flat frequency response.
That could work in place of a piezo bridge for acoustic sim.

The Fluence has a nice preamp and uses a different type of coil manufacturing process but it is essentially just like other active pickup designs. It’s a coil running into a preamp with tone controls.
The only real reason I can think of to go with a laminate board coil would be to have better repeatability and lower manufacturing cost. Their tone is most likely better than the competitors due to their better preamp design not so much their coil. I could be wrong though.

.......back on track, it appears that there are enough users of Speaker Compression to justify keeping it, but a majority dont know or care so perhaps
making the default zero may be justifiable.

On the Axe FX III I'm finding I use it less. Usually it's around 1 (default) - but I use Speaker Compliance - almost always between 75 - 85 %
GR meter in Axe Edit on this page is usually showing 1 to 3 db reduction. I also find I use less preamp gain in the III than I did in the II.

Just tried a ton of presets with it off and then with it about 1-5, and just about every single one I preferred with it off/0.

Everyone's mileage will vary of course....

I used to use it all the time but haven't touched it for some time with more recent updates...
I played around with it just now and while I think it may have some use, I would be happy with a default of zero

I use it, maybe 50% of the time. As others said, if getting rid of something, I’d get rid of speaker drive.

i always use it. i like the feel of it. i try to get the previously recommended values of -6db for marshall type cabs and -3db for fender/vox. i'm using frfr, so for me it's a piece of the puzzle
I tend to agree on this

If I ever go into a preset and find the volume/presence to be lacking, I usually jump straight to the Speaker Compression. No problem with defaulting it to 0 for me.

if getting rid of something, I’d get rid of speaker drive

IDT Cliff is looking to remove any of this functionality, just change the default setting(s).

I tend to prefer the three parameters (drive, compliance, compression) at 0 but like having the option, esp for recording. Speaker drive can also make for some cool farty/raspiness of overdriven speakers.

Back
Top Bottom