Anyone using S/PDIF I/O with a cheap interface?

Is there is any difference regarding sound quality?

i.e., using just the Axe as an interface versus going S/PDIF I/O to a fairly cheap interface.
I was told that I would have to have 'a real high end interface for the same quality of conversion your Axe FX offers'.

Just wondering how true that is or if anyone had tested this....

You're bypassing all conversion with S/PDIF

So, bluntly, no.

But there are other pitfalls. Jitter and clocking and whatnot. If you're having success with the Axe as the interface, why not stick with it?

If you're having success with the Axe as the interface, why not stick with it?

I really don't wanna turn on the Axe just to listen to music, on top of the hassle of having to constantly change audio devices in my DAW.
& the main one, running lots of plugins & Superior Drummer 3, or just doing big projects in general, the Axe doesn't seem to enjoy it hah.

Understood.
In my experience, I prefer the sound from the analog outs of the Axe going to the analog ins of my IO. I've done AES/SPDIF and it sounds great, but for whatever reason, it sounds fatter even with the extra DA/AD conversion. If my interface was weak however, I'd probably always do digital.

Good luck.

I've done AES/SPDIF and it sounds great, but for whatever reason, it sounds fatter even with the extra DA/AD conversion.

Interesting. Gonna have to give that a try, too.
I'd assume that has to vary depending on which interface one has.
Mines is a 10+ year old M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R so I'm not gonna get too excited hah!

Quick question — using the S/PDIF method, are you still able to use the Axe's DI or you have to use the interface's DI?

Yes, I only have my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen connected to my DAW (REAPER). I just have to select the SPDIF Inputs and Outputs on my DAW tracks. I have my Axe-Fx II XL+ connected to my PC only for Axe-Edit.

You will have to go into the Axe-Fx II I/O menu and make changes for when you're recording a dry tracks or re-amp track.

Dry Track:
* I/O > Audio
** MAIN INPUT SOURCE: ANALOG (IN 1)
** WORD CLOCK: AUTO
** SPDIF/AES SELECT: SPDIF
** USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE: INPUT

Re-amp Track:
* I/O > AUDIO
** MAIN INPUT SOURCE: SPDIF/AES
** WORD CLOCK: AUTO
** SPDIF/AES SELECT: SPDIF
** USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE: OUTPUT 1 (Recommended) or OUTPUT 2

Yes, I only have my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen connected to my DAW (REAPER). I just have to select the SPDIF Inputs and Outputs on my DAW tracks.

Appreciate that,

so are you able to record a dry + wet signal simultaneously with only S/PDIF using the Axe's input?
If so, can you please explain just the way you did in your previous post?

Last edited:
Use the AXEFX USB and your interface at the same time. Hook your monitors to your interface. The AXE will be available to record 4 channels into your daw 2 clean and 2 processed. There are also 2 available going from your daw to the axe for reamping. All inputs and outputs can be available at the same time with proper configuration. You don't need to use any other digital ins or outs as there are 6 digital channels running through the USB connection. Not counting the channels your interface adds to the equation.

Or you can just get your regular audio interface working as usual and hook the analog outs from the axe to your interface's inputs to record.

Use the AXEFX USB and your interface at the same time.

How would I do that? And with my monitors hooked up to my interface, how would I hear the Axe given that it isn't connected to my interface or any sort of monitoring?
My DAW, and I'm sure any other DAW, only lets you use one soundcard at a time. Assuming you missed my previous post, I do not want the hassle of having to switch soundcards during sessions. Last resort is Axe OUTS to interface INS but I really don't want the extra conversion, being it the main reason I wanna use S/PDIF. Hope that clears things up.

What computer and software are you using?

USB can carry digital (data) audio. You should be able to hook up the AXE with a USB cable, install the drivers and route that into your daw. Forget "sound card". The usb transfers the digital audio into your DAW. You then monitor (send it from your daw) to your interface and listen to it through the interface which has your monitors attached. I have a Focusrite interface (via USB) and the AXE also via USB both hooked up. All the ins and outs from the Focusrite interface and the AXE show up in my daw software. You will have to figure out how to configure your particular system but you should be able to do it. But I guess it depends on what you're using.

You will listen to the axe the same way you listen to your recordings from your daw. You just have to monitor the tracks you will be recording on. You might want to try hooking up the AXE via it's analog outs into your interface so you don't have to deal with the configuration. I wouldn't worry about an additional A/D conversion as you most probably be hard pressed to hear any difference. But if you want to use the AXE-EDIT software you are going to need to get the USB working anyway.

Last edited:
What computer and software are you using?

USB can carry digital (data) audio. You should be able to hook up the AXE with a USB cable, install the drivers and route that into your daw. Forget "sound card". The usb transfers the digital audio into your DAW. You then monitor (send it from your daw) to your interface and listen to it through the interface which has your monitors attached. I have a Focusrite interface (via USB) and the AXE also via USB both hooked up. All the ins and outs from the Focusrite interface and the AXE show up in my daw software. You will have to figure out how to configure your particular system but you should be able to do it. But I guess it depends on what you're using.

You will listen to the axe the same way you listen to your recordings from your daw. You just have to monitor the tracks you will be recording on. You might want to try hooking up the AXE via it's analog outs into your interface so you don't have to deal with the configuration. I wouldn't worry about an additional A/D conversion as you most probably be hard pressed to hear any difference. But if you want to use the AXE-EDIT software you are going to need to get the USB working anyway.

Appreciate your help.

However, I've already downloaded the drivers, etc. and have already used the Axe via USB & as an interface with zero problems so that's not an issue.

I use Presonus Studio One & my computer is nothing outta the ordinary.

I am VERY curious to know how you apparently have your audio interface & the Axe both show up (assuming you mean simultaneously) in your DAW. From my experience, unless there's some special integrated third-party software/drivers, that is not possible as a DAW can only occupy one audio device (soundcard) at a time...but! I could very well be wrong & have been totally obvious to such a method lol.

For example, your interface is set as your audio device in your DAW, how are you configuring the Axe's inputs?

Last edited:
Appreciate your help.

However, I've already downloaded the drivers, etc. and have already used the Axe via USB & as an interface with zero problems so that's not an issue.

I am VERY curious to know how you apparently have your audio interface & the Axe both show up (assuming you mean simultaneously) in your DAW. From my experience, unless there's some special integrated third-party software/drivers, that is not possible as a DAW can only occupy one audio device (soundcard) at a time...but! I could very well be wrong & have been totally obvious to such a method lol.

For example, your interface is set as your audio device in your DAW, how are you configuring the Axe's inputs?

On a Mac you can make an aggregate device. It's build in the macOS.

On windows others may have a solution?

I would also love to hear a solution for getting a DAW to use more than one sound card in windows at a time as well. I have not heard of any 3rd party software for this either.

Appreciate your help.

Hear is some information on widows and multiple interfaces using ASIO4ALL which works for most.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/using-multiple-audio-interfaces-together

Last edited:
Appreciate your help.

Using ASIO4ALL you can accomplish this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom