Anyone using Red Sound FRFRs?

Wow - didnt realise there's such a big weight difference between them! MF10s = 47lbs (21.8kgs) - thats similar to original CLRs. Elis 8 is just under half the weight.
Ya thats huge , spec wise they are pretty close except for the 10 inch vs 8 inch woofer and the out put power

+1 for the MF10s. Loud AF. Had two for over a year, zero issues. Paired with the FM9 (or previously the AFII) they're awesome. 👍

For TLDR comparison, go to page 5. They evidently sound similar enough for no-one to notice.

I love the MF10s. They are very much an "electric guitar oriented" FRFR, and for me can't quite get the breathy top end I'd want for acoustic guitar or vocals. But then why would they? They do what they are designed for amazingly well!

@austinbuddy, would you care to comment on how CLR Neos compare in that particular respect? Not sure they are available anywhere here in the UK, and I'm set with some good PA speakers for acoustic guitars anyway, but very interested in your opinion.

I'm so tempted to supplement with a pair of ELIS.8s as something more portable for smaller occasions. But if they really are that indistinguishable from MF10s, it feels a tough purchase to justify.

Liam
You said it in your post wel. I get the toppy, breathy high end part from the CLR, and the rest the MF10 fills out beautifully.

Wow - didnt realise there's such a big weight difference between them! MF10s = 47lbs (21.8kgs) - thats similar to original CLRs. Elis 8 is just under half the weight.
That’s a tipo for sure.The mf10 are way lighter than the clr‘s neo
They come in at about 12kg
I’ve got them both the clr‘s as a stereo pair and the mf10 stereo.

Reactions: Ole
That is one of the main reasons I went for the 8s. One of the others was that Marco Fanton commented that he preferred the 8s now. MF10 = Marco Fanton 10. I doubt they make a bad set of speakers. I might even get a pair of 10s just to have another flavor for different room types. Eventually, I would like to get a pair of CLRs, EVs, and maybe RCFs.
I read the MF10 are dark in sound.

MF8 are these also dark?

MF10 user here as well, very happy with my tones.

Weight-wise I think the figures quoted above are for the active/passive pair as mine are nowhere near the weight of my CLRs.

Holy necro-thread! I've now done a few gigs with a Red Sound/G66 MF.10 FRFR stereo pair sitting under my Axe FX III. Both on amp stands, so kicked back to an angle where I get to hear plenty of what they are doing. I'm using both speakers on my side of the stage, only a few feet apart, as I feel I deserve a nice stereo image more than the audience does. ;) (Just kidding, but read on...)

First was a medium size club gig (150 person venue, rowdy), where I was so pressed for time in the soundcheck that instead of putting any lead guitar through the PA I just cranked the MF.10s. Pretty glorious in fairness, and seemed to fill the room without cranking things up to anywhere near the limit. Nothing like a 4x12 cab, as it was loud out front, and really quite bit louder where I was. Bottom end akin to a 4x12, felt very full.

Second was a much bigger room. 280 person wedding, but a big room, would have comfortably housed 800 standing punters. MF.10 pair got cranked a bit further, and also put through the PA. As it turns out they really cannot "project" into the room like a closed back 4x12. Bass player's 4 x 10 was too loud in the room, but he couldn't hear himself on stage. I'm starting to see projection as an issue rather than a benefit.

I had a much better problem than the bass player, in that up to 8 feet in front of the MF.10s I was playing miles too loud in a spit 'n' sawdust club with a guitar whistling into feedback at will, but I could step to the front of the stage and get into the balanced zone the audience was hearing. Monitors for me, FOH PA for them. This is going to take some getting used to as a perennial 4x12 1/2 stack user. I always used to move towards the amp for things to get quieter and vice versa, and guessed I was splitting some eardrums among some of the audience with the 4x12 on a raised stage.

My "big" (1x15") FRFR rig of recent years confined itself to stage to an extent, but the MF.10s really do feel like they produce impressive SPLs that remain largely on the stage, or just in front of it. And the 1x15" FRFR used to blow up mid cones when pushed, despite sounding amazing...

Third gig was about 70 people at a wedding (again) in a room that should have had about 300 standing punters in it. I got the chance in sound check to trim FOH PA EQ to match the MF.10s, but I did so on the PA while setting EQ for everything else. I'll maybe set that flat at the PA and do it all through the Axe FX next time. (Think it was around -6 dB from 5 kHz, but can double check if anyone's interested).

Mistake made at this one was not to maximise stage sound, and give the audience as much as they needed. So the MF.10s got turned down so I could hear bass and drums properly, and the drummer stopped hitting them as hard as he usually does. While the audience clearly had a great time, we all felt like we were working at it harder than the previous couple of gigs. I guess the lesson is that if you can let the drummer loose, then everyone around him can relax!

TLDR is mostly that a stereo pair of Red Sound/G66 MF.10 can be ample backline for those that are used to using "stacks", 1/2 stacks or Fender Twin Reverbs live. They are plenty loud enough on stage, but as rooms get bigger, they do need more sound reinforcement from the PA than traditional amp solutions for live use. Almost hate to say it, but I think all of this makes them a more practical solution for gigs than anything else I've used so far, and I'll very happily use just one of them for the next small gig I do. They can fill a 50-100 person room very adequately on their own.

Well done @Marco Fanton! Seriously, a ball knocked all the way out of the park. Also, huge thanks to @ZenRigs Man for advice and guidance here, and more importantly, taking on UK distribution. Trouser legs suitably shaken!

Liam

Holy necro-thread! I've now done a few gigs with a Red Sound/G66 MF.10 FRFR stereo pair sitting under my Axe FX III. Both on amp stands, so kicked back to an angle where I get to hear plenty of what they are doing. I'm using both speakers on my side of the stage, only a few feet apart, as I feel I deserve a nice stereo image more than the audience does. ;) (Just kidding, but read on...)

First was a medium size club gig (150 person venue, rowdy), where I was so pressed for time in the soundcheck that instead of putting any lead guitar through the PA I just cranked the MF.10s. Pretty glorious in fairness, and seemed to fill the room without cranking things up to anywhere near the limit. Nothing like a 4x12 cab, as it was loud out front, and really quite bit louder where I was. Bottom end akin to a 4x12, felt very full.

Second was a much bigger room. 280 person wedding, but a big room, would have comfortably housed 800 standing punters. MF.10 pair got cranked a bit further, and also put through the PA. As it turns out they really cannot "project" into the room like a closed back 4x12. Bass player's 4 x 10 was too loud in the room, but he couldn't hear himself on stage. I'm starting to see projection as an issue rather than a benefit.

I had a much better problem than the bass player, in that up to 8 feet in front of the MF.10s I was playing miles too loud in a spit 'n' sawdust club with a guitar whistling into feedback at will, but I could step to the front of the stage and get into the balanced zone the audience was hearing. Monitors for me, FOH PA for them. This is going to take some getting used to as a perennial 4x12 1/2 stack user. I always used to move towards the amp for things to get quieter and vice versa, and guessed I was splitting some eardrums among some of the audience with the 4x12 on a raised stage.

My "big" (1x15") FRFR rig of recent years confined itself to stage to an extent, but the MF.10s really do feel like they produce impressive SPLs that remain largely on the stage, or just in front of it. And the 1x15" FRFR used to blow up mid cones when pushed, despite sounding amazing...

Third gig was about 70 people at a wedding (again) in a room that should have had about 300 standing punters in it. I got the chance in sound check to trim FOH PA EQ to match the MF.10s, but I did so on the PA while setting EQ for everything else. I'll maybe set that flat at the PA and do it all through the Axe FX next time. (Think it was around -6 dB from 5 kHz, but can double check if anyone's interested).

Mistake made at this one was not to maximise stage sound, and give the audience as much as they needed. So the MF.10s got turned down so I could hear bass and drums properly, and the drummer stopped hitting them as hard as he usually does. While the audience clearly had a great time, we all felt like we were working at it harder than the previous couple of gigs. I guess the lesson is that if you can let the drummer loose, then everyone around him can relax!

TLDR is mostly that a stereo pair of Red Sound/G66 MF.10 can be ample backline for those that are used to using "stacks", 1/2 stacks or Fender Twin Reverbs live. They are plenty loud enough on stage, but as rooms get bigger, they do need more sound reinforcement from the PA than traditional amp solutions for live use. Almost hate to say it, but I think all of this makes them a more practical solution for gigs than anything else I've used so far, and I'll very happily use just one of them for the next small gig I do. They can fill a 50-100 person room very adequately on their own.

Well done @Marco Fanton! Seriously, a ball knocked all the way out of the park. Also, huge thanks to @ZenRigs Man for advice and guidance here, and more importantly, taking on UK distribution. Trouser legs suitably shaken!

Liam
EXCELLENT to hear mate. I have a big gig this saturday and am looking forward to flapping my own pants with one of my MF10’s!

Liam
yeah, that's resounding testimony if ever I heard it! 👍
Mine (2 x pairs of active/passive MF10's) don't leave my house but completely nailed my listening requirements and way beyond.
@purefreedomrevolution was asking are they dark? No. Obvs a bunch of variables but in a carpeted room they sound perfect and in a 30m sq bright reflective space I am really dialling down HF to avoid taking out my listening gear. In no way dark. For me the most noticeable improvement on good monitors is that nice sharp dynamic that's part of pick attack.

I used a pair of the MF10s on my UK tour last summer and really dug them - probably my favorite FRFR I've used so far. I wouldn't say they're 'dark' per se, but definitely don't suffer from the ice-pickiness that my QSC K12 does. Volume-wise, I didn't find them as gob-smackingly loud as some others - they were enough as backline to keep up with a drummer and bassist in a trio, but I had them up pretty high so ther wasn't a tone left in reserve I don't think.

Nice bottom end, nothing unpleasant up top, plenty of volume. I did end up propping one of them up on an angle behind me to get it at my ears a little bit more. They were quite light as well, so much nicer to lug than a lot of the PA speakers I've used in the past. They look quite nice too, in case you care about that lol

They mostly carried this room, though I did put some in the mains I believe, because rock and roll, that's why! lol

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed reviews! I'm right now shopping for an FRFR after selling my Mesa 4x12 and SS amp. Main reason is that I want something more portable and also to take advantage of the different IRs and amp sims in the FM3.

Between other options I was thinking on the MF10 and the Laney LFR1x12 or even the 2x12 (but the last is probably not that portable) but I'm worried about the volume that it will give me to play both at rehearsal in a loud rock/metal band (other guitar player has also a 4x12 and tube amp and the bassist a 4x10+1x15 cabs plus an acoustic drummer) and in the current gigs that we have that is mainly small clubs with less than 100 people. We used to play in bigger venues and outside festivals in the past but we have no plans for it anymore and if we do, I'll just go direct into FOH.

So basically I'm looking for a more portable option than a 4x12 + power amp, that I can use for rehearsal and also to have in behind me pointing to the public in small clubs where we only use foh for vocals. Is a single active MF10 loud enough for it? seems so for what you guys said, right now can't justify myself buying the two MF10 active/passive stereo pack at least by now.

Also maybe an stupid question but if i read it properly, the active MF10 is biamp and can power also another passive MF10 cab, but if I only run one... is that second amp unused? or is it used to double power the single speaker so both run less pushed? If you don't use a second passive cab, and the second amp does nothing, it's a big waste of it imho.

Btw, I just saw there is a new one in the Redsound website, Stage cab RK8, Any of you guys heard about it?

Last edited:
I used a pair of the MF10s on my UK tour last summer and really dug them - probably my favorite FRFR I've used so far. I wouldn't say they're 'dark' per se, but definitely don't suffer from the ice-pickiness that my QSC K12 does. Volume-wise, I didn't find them as gob-smackingly loud as some others - they were enough as backline to keep up with a drummer and bassist in a trio, but I had them up pretty high so ther wasn't a tone left in reserve I don't think.

Nice bottom end, nothing unpleasant up top, plenty of volume. I did end up propping one of them up on an angle behind me to get it at my ears a little bit more. They were quite light as well, so much nicer to lug than a lot of the PA speakers I've used in the past. They look quite nice too, in case you care about that lol

They mostly carried this room, though I did put some in the mains I believe, because rock and roll, that's why! lol

what a hell of a player!! 🤘

Sounds great! Pair of MF10's for me also. What amp and IR are you using?

Sounds great! Pair of MF10's for me also. What amp and IR are you using?
thanks - I posted the preset a while back - if you search my posts you should be able to find it if you want to give it a spin. I think it's the Superverb with Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR. Those MF10s are pretty sweet - I'd love to try 4 (two stereo pairs). Only things I'd change on them is the protruding knobs, and would be nice if you could just double the signal from one channel to the other if you're running mono, rather than having to run a separate XLR to each channel.

thanks - I posted the preset a while back - if you search my posts you should be able to find it if you want to give it a spin. I think it's the Superverb with Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR. Those MF10s are pretty sweet - I'd love to try 4 (two stereo pairs). Only things I'd change on them is the protruding knobs, and would be nice if you could just double the signal from one channel to the other if you're running mono, rather than having to run a separate XLR to each channel.
I have the same concerns with the volume knob......... two in front and two in back would be really cool.

I've noticed that many players seem to really enjoy their red sound speakers. However, when I purchased the stereo bundle with MF10's over a year ago, I found that I couldn't work with them. I was tweaking them on gig-volume but the mid hump and overall coloration was just too much for me. Usually, my presets translate well on most audio systems, and if the monitors are of decent quality, I don't mind using them during rehearsals. While it might not be the most enjoyable experience in terms of feel, I can handle it for a couple of hours with a bit of EQ. I was looking for a good solution for situations where I couldn't use IE-monitoring and expected the MF-10's to solve that problem so that I could retire my amplifiers for live use. However, it was far from plug-and-play, and when I tried to tweak my presets to make them work, I couldn't really settle with the sounds I was getting. When I finally came somewhat close, my presets sounded pretty much unusable on my studio monitors. Reviews suggested that I might need to do some tweaking (of course you need to fine tune stuff), but I felt that the sound from the speakers and what I recorded at the same time were very disconnected sound-wise. I really wanted them to work, but despite my efforts, I had to let them go. Perhaps they're more suitable for high gain players? I mainly dabble with the slightly saturated cleans and the "bluesy humbucker lead" area. What am I missing?

I've noticed that many players seem to really enjoy their red sound speakers. However, when I purchased the stereo bundle with MF10's over a year ago, I found that I couldn't work with them. I was tweaking them on gig-volume but the mid hump and overall coloration was just too much for me. Usually, my presets translate well on most audio systems, and if the monitors are of decent quality, I don't mind using them during rehearsals. While it might not be the most enjoyable experience in terms of feel, I can handle it for a couple of hours with a bit of EQ. I was looking for a good solution for situations where I couldn't use IE-monitoring and expected the MF-10's to solve that problem so that I could retire my amplifiers for live use. However, it was far from plug-and-play, and when I tried to tweak my presets to make them work, I couldn't really settle with the sounds I was getting. When I finally came somewhat close, my presets sounded pretty much unusable on my studio monitors. Reviews suggested that I might need to do some tweaking (of course you need to fine tune stuff), but I felt that the sound from the speakers and what I recorded at the same time were very disconnected sound-wise. I really wanted them to work, but despite my efforts, I had to let them go. Perhaps they're more suitable for high gain players? I mainly dabble with the slightly saturated cleans and the "bluesy humbucker lead" area. What am I missing?
You didn't say but if your studio monitors are not positioned correctly or your studio hasn't been treated they can affect the sound of anything played in there or through them.

A good quality "FRFR" speaker works for all styles of music as it's designed to accurately reproduce what's passed into it.

Back
Top Bottom