Anyone using Presonus Studio interface and S/PDIF?

jzucker

Experienced
i'm using a 68c. Finally got s/pdif working today but no loop back to main outputs unless I arm it in a track in reaper. Focusrite automatically echoed s/pdif to the main outs. The version of focusrite I had didn't show s/pdif in the mixcontrol but i guess later versions did?

I have a 1824c (for sale btw), and while mostly I just used USB on the AxeFx, I did play with the S/PDIF connectors a bit, didn't really have any issue.
Except when I had the Axe set to use an external clock source and hadn't turned on the Presonus. Don't do that.

I have a 1824c (for sale btw), and while mostly I just used USB on the AxeFx, I did play with the S/PDIF connectors a bit, didn't really have any issue.
Except when I had the Axe set to use an external clock source and hadn't turned on the Presonus. Don't do that.
that's a different issue. I'm strictly talking about echoing the spdif to the main outputs. The focusrite does that by default in gen 1, gen 3 has it in the mix control but as far as I can tell, presonus doesn't do it at all. If I open reaper and arm it in a track I can set reaper to do input monitoring and then it comes through the main outputs but otherwise it's silent. Doesn't appear in the front panel meters either. Presonus support sucks too. No reply from my original query at 8am...

The version of focusrite I had didn't show s/pdif in the mixcontrol but i guess later versions did?
Yes, the current version allows you to send any input to the monitor output. Have you considered using USB instead of spdif? That might be one way to avoid a lot of the problems you're encountering.

i'm using a 68c. Finally got s/pdif working today but no loop back to main outputs unless I arm it in a track in reaper. Focusrite automatically echoed s/pdif to the main outs. The version of focusrite I had didn't show s/pdif in the mixcontrol but i guess later versions did?
I have a Presonus 1824c into Studio One v5. I use the S/PDIF output of the FM3 into the 1824c.

I need to create an S/PDIF track in Studio One and Studio One needs to be active in order to hear the S/PDIF output. Not sure what you mean by loop back but I think that's the same idea.

When I fire up Universal Control (a Presonus app) I see the S/PDIF input on channels 9/10 and 19/20. Now sure what you'll see w/ the 68c but I believe Universal Control will see the 68c in a similar fashion.

As far as using USB is concerned, what I found in Studio One is that you can only choose 1 Audio I/F at a time. I can select the 1824c or the FM3 as my audio I/F but not both at the same time.

The only problem I have with S/PDIF is that you have to track your whole project @ 48k. A friend of mine who does drum tracks for me prefers 44.1k. I'm not experienced enough to know the impact of choosing 48k vs 44.1k.

You probably already know this but your interface needs to be a 48k slave to the FM3 for this all to work properly otherwise you get 'clicks & pops' off the S/PDIF signal. The only way I found to configure my 1824c to be a 48k slave to the FM3 was through the Universal Control app.

Last edited:
the 68c mixer didn't allow me to control the volume of s/pdif so I ended up returning it and bought the focusrite 8i6. Unfortunately, I found that not having spdif in on the fm3 limited me to only using the fm3 as master and that totally screwed up my computer when the fm3 was shut off. I didn't feel like continually toggling the sample rate and clock master so I'm back to using analog inputs.

Not all interfaces have direct monitoring of all inputs.
My NI komplete 6 you can only direct monitor 1&2.
When I had the Ax8 I would record the signal via spdif but I would also send a signal to input 1 and monitor that way.
With the Fm3 I send a signal via output 2 (spdif) to the komplete, I then have the main output of the komplete go into effects return of the Fm3 (input 2).
You find what ever works.
I would to love to just use the USB if the Fm3 but it is too unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom