Anyone using EVM12-Ls as FRFR?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Was just thinking after I'd been using these speakers in a couple of closed back 1x12 cabs in my conventional rig that they have a bit of additional high end over the average guitar 12 inch speaker and might be worth a try.

I sometimes need loud backline due to the venue's house PA crapness and have been having some squealing probs with tweeter equipped FRFR cabs. My presets are not overly gainy or top end heavy and have been dialled in at volume. A lot of the time it's down to stage size and being jammed in corner or low ceiling box (there's 6 of us - and the drum kit is a double kick one just to compound the issue).

Rather than re-structuring my presets to have the Cab block at the end of the grid and an FXL loop before it for the stage monitor feed - I'm wondering what an EVM12-L would make of a full FRFR signal?

I guess with the AxeFX I/O Output 1 echoed to Output 2 there's scope to independently eq the output 2 using the output 2 global eq to counter any obvious frequency spikes in the speakers.

I usually always get to send a FOH feed wherever we play - but in smaller venues the vocals tend to get priority - however even if the stage cabs are a little worse off for the highs than full range cabs there could be a little top end still present in the FOH mains to balance it out a bit.

Anyone EVM users tried this in a loud backline scenario?

Scientifically thinking on my part says a typical guitar speaker range has usually no need to go any higher - in fact probably 6K would probably be enough ......and I play live so like good mids focus rather than excessive top.

But best answer I can give is it sounds good to my ears

I usually run around 6k or lower. Just wandering if you just put it there for the heck of it or if you had listened and that's what sounds best to you.
Lots of people struggle with screaming feedback because they have the hi cut set to 20khz and simply lowering it to 6 or 8 kHz would fix their problem.
Sounds like you already have that covered!

In regards to those speakers, they won't be anything close to FRFR. You can probably get some great tones out of them but accuracy won't be very good.

At low volume levels, using cabs with an EV-12L works. But as soon as you turn upon the volume, things get muddy.

At low volume levels, using cabs with an EV-12L works. But as soon as you turn upon the volume, things get muddy.
I don't understand why that would happen. IIRC the EVM-12L actually was originally created as the woofer in a two way FRFR cab and was later adopted by guitar players for their guitar amps.

In fact I've been using a pair of Mesa/Boogie Thiele cabs designed specifically for the EVM-12L's for approximately 17 years now and I've encountered NO muddiness WHAT-SO-EVER at any volume......high or low.

In the past Yek I have enjoyed your posts and gained a lot of knowledge from them as to Fractal gear, but as to this speaker in particular I have to really disagree.

Last edited:
I don't understand why that would happen. IIRC the EVM-12L actually was originally created as the woofer in a two way FRFR cab and was later adopted by guitar players for their guitar amps.

In fact I've been using a pair of Mesa/Boogie Thiele cabs designed specifically for the EVM-12L's for approximately 17 years now and I've encountered NO muddiness WHAT-SO-EVER at any volume......high or low.

In the past Yek I have enjoyed your posts and gained a lot of knowledge from them as to Fractal gear, but as to this speaker in particular I have to really disagree.
I think he means muddy as in muddy for an FRFR.

Reactions: yek
I think he means muddy as in muddy for an FRFR.

Indeed, when sending a signal through a cab model into the EV-12L. Because that's what the OP is about.

By itself the EV-12L is a wonderful speaker (when turned up loud). I've got two 2x12 cabinets which have a single EV-12L in them.

I've used the EVM in both a Mesa Mk3 simulclass combo in the past and now more recently 2 of them in 1x12 cabs - in a conventional type guitar rig. They are indeed great speakers - 'smooth' is the first thing comes to mind but they can still have a bit of bite when you want.

Oh well ...... back to the drawing board re. FRFR live for me :)

It's a real pain in the bum because the FOH sound is spot on .... it's just our stage monitoring that spoils the party. Perfection would be a X32 rack with all the extras and wireless IEMs for the whole band ........ or a drum machine!

Late to this thread, but I did want to add:

I have a looooong history with the use of 12L’s in a wide variety of applications, and one of it’s most endearing qualities is the vast number of cabinet configs possible. It responds predictably to T/S parameter changes and will survive just about anything you care to throw at it. Eminently tunable, virtually indestructible.

If you’re not getting what you want (too muddy, etc) it’s certainly worth a little experimentation (esp. port loading) to bend it to your will.

Only real downside: a true Hernia Factory.

Back
Top Bottom