Anyone using Ducking Delay?

Not worked up at all, just trying to understand.

You just stated my point exactly (perhaps in better English?). I prefer this method over the ducker because it is not stuck with one fixed threshold and one fixed attenuation. Using an envelope follower to duck the delay gives me total flexibility on threshold *and* attenuation. That was the whole point. Not a different effect, just a much improved flexibility and control. You're right that it *could* attenuate the signal too much (if not properly tweaked) - you need to set it properly, that's all.

Yup. Nothing wrong with that approach!

Is anyone else finding that all the different delay types sound extremely similar?? Or maybe my ears are just shot...

OK, I'm off work, so I'll post this with a disclaimer... i did this at low volume so it will require tweaking even on my system to get it to where it needs to be at higher volumes, let alone what anyone else would want. I like a subtle delay with several repeats and I like it to be a bit softer while playing and come up a bit between notes. Please note that this will also vary considerably depending on the type of delay you are using.

Delay Type: Mono Tape
Delay is in parallel
Mix 100% (since it's in Parallel - if you are in series, try maybe 15-20% range on the mix and set level to unity??? I don't really know for sure)
Level -10db (probably lower if I play louder)
Ducker Atten - 6db
Threshold -52.9 (probably will change that at higher volume as well)
Ducker Release 10ms (which I think is the default)

Is anyone else finding that all the different delay types sound extremely similar?? Or maybe my ears are just shot...
I can generally hear a difference, but they can be a bit subtle, especially in mono. Still need to crank that amp up a bit and get my settings dialed in though. ;)

OK, I'm off work, so I'll post this with a disclaimer... i did this at low volume so it will require tweaking even on my system to get it to where it needs to be at higher volumes, let alone what anyone else would want. I like a subtle delay with several repeats and I like it to be a bit softer while playing and come up a bit between notes. Please note that this will also vary considerably depending on the type of delay you are using.

Delay Type: Mono Tape
Delay is in parallel
Mix 100% (since it's in Parallel - if you are in series, try maybe 15-20% range on the mix and set level to unity??? I don't really know for sure)
Level -10db (probably lower if I play louder)
Ducker Atten - 6db
Threshold -52.9 (probably will change that at higher volume as well)
Ducker Release 10ms (which I think is the default)

Thanks! I will try this.

Back
Top Bottom