Anyone using Digitech Control 2 with AxeFx?

The Control 2 is not a MIDI pedal board. It only works with the GSP1101 over a CAT5 cable. It's to bad because it's built really well. I used to own one with a GSP1101.

Damn. No wonder I didn't see it mention here.

I really want a controller with the buttons placed like on the Control 2, but I can probably customize that on any other midi-controller?

tlingen said:
The Control 2 is not a MIDI pedal board. It only works with the GSP1101 over a CAT5 cable. It's to bad because it's built really well. I used to own one with a GSP1101.

Same here. I sold mine to get the Axe and made a wise decision. The way the Control 2 worked with the GSP1101 is exactly why I want to wait for the Fractal controller.

Man I wish we could get an update on this so I know if I should keep waiting or move on.

I use a Control 2 with the Axe-FX
It works OK for me. At least until the MFC comes along. It is connected to the GSP1101 as usual, then it controls the Axe-FX via MIDI. Real easy to set up too.

The control 2 Only works with a GSP1101. It is NOT a MIDI device, and will not plug into anything else. Do not even try it, as you will definately cause some damage :!:

craiguitar said:
It works OK for me. At least until the MFC comes along. It is connected to the GSP1101 as usual, then it controls the Axe-FX via MIDI. Real easy to set up too.

I'm going crazy trying to do the same, but it only transmit program changes: not CC, not volume, not wah...

Can you help me, please, craiguitar? I'm trying to do it through learn function, but nothing happens.

Thanks!

I found that my Vox tonelab s.e. works fine as a patch change + vol control board ,just plug in and go, also guys using GT8/10 the same . so untill the real-deal is out this does the simple job fine. :D

Johnny Guitar said:
craiguitar said:

I'm going crazy trying to do the same, but it only transmit program changes: not CC, not volume, not wah...

Can you help me, please, craiguitar? I'm trying to do it through learn function, but it happens nothing.

Thanks!

OK. Firstly you will need to make sure your GSP1101 is updated to the latest Beta firmware. (C48 I think mine is at)
This enables the top row on the C2 to act as IA switches via CC messages. Simply use the learn function (as you have been doing) and its easy.

I set mine so the IA's match, (i.e. Stomp / mod / Delay / Reverb, then set the CONTROL switch to act as a solo boost.)

My 1101 isn't updated to the latest firmware, maybe that's the problem. I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to erase all my patches, anyway I'll save them and I'll install latest beta firmware to see if it works.

I've updated the GSP 1101 to beta C48 and the X-Edit to 2.5 and still nothing. :cry:

This is what I'm doing: press the I/O button, go to CTRL page, move the cursor down to Tuner and press the "Enter" button to go into learn mode. It shows "Learning", I press the Tuner switch on Control 2 and the screen doesn't change, it keeps on "Learning" forever. Same with chorus, delay, etc.

There must be something I'm doing wrong, but I don't know what. Midi cables are ok (program changes work), so any help would be appreciated.

I think I know what your issue is here. :idea:

Go into the GSP's foot controller menu. You will need to assign a CC message number to each of the buttons on the top row.

I don't have my unit in front of me so I cant tell you exactly where to go, but basically the reason you need to do this is because before the firmware update, the only buttons which transmitted CC messages were the CONTROL button and the pedal.

Now you can get all the buttons (including the Wah) to transmit a CC message, but you need to assign a CC value to the button. Then The Axe-Fx will recognise the message in the 'Learn' process.

Ok, that helped a lot :) , thank you craiguitar, but there are things that doesn't work yet.

My Learning function doesn't work. I don't know if it's GSP fault, Axe fault, or, probably, my own fault. But when I press Enter, the "Learning" message keeps on flashing forever, no matter what I do.

I've been able to make I/A switches (from 6 to 10) work writing its CC number (in GSP and also in Axe) one by one. But, apart from the learning function, I can't make work Tuner switch, Volume and wah pedals, and Wah switches.

Great news, well done :D

Something you will notice with the top row buttons, is that the little lights do not always correspond with the actual state of the effect. It is a minor irritation which you can maybe put up with until the proper FC becomes available.

OK, well I guess you need to also assign the Expression PDL to a CC message also. This thould enable the Axe-Fx to read the CC message using the 'Learn' function. Your Axe-Fx will display 'learning' until it receives a CC message. My guess is its still not hearing a CC message from your expression pedal.

The other issue is the tuner. So far, I have been unable to make the control 2 work with the tuner in the Axe-Fx. There are limitations, and this is one of them. Thats why I still need that MFC101 (when it eventually appears)

Yes, the lights not corresponding in Control 2 with the actual state of the effect is more than a minor irritation :lol: but i can live with it. Tuner switch doesn't work (probably it doesn't send CC messages) and tap tempo works fine.

But I can't program volume and wah pedal. I can assign volume pedal to volume master, but if I assign it to volume block, it doesn't work. Same with wah. I've assigned CC to volume and wah, but nothing, it ignores me... :?

Can you tell me what CC messages have you assigned to wah and volume pedal in GSP Midi and Footcontroller Menus?

Thanks!

Ah. I only assign the pedal to master input volume. I don't attach it per-patch to a volume block.

Also I don't use the wah, and have never tried it, so that expalins a lot :lol:

I guess you are correct & they dont / won't work anyway.

Well, I did it! :mrgreen:

Everything works except tuner switch, probably it doesn't send CC messages. The method to assign volume pedal and wah is in this post by Casper:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10091

A little tricky, but with patience (almost) everything can be done. I'm happy because I don't want to spend more money on a new floor controller, and because I love the GSP1101 and it's good to have it in the rack as a backup. :D

Well done, glad you got it workin' OK

I'm hanging for an MFC anyway so I'm not too worried about setting up the other stuff.
I'll be selling my GSP & Control 2 at that point.

Back
Top Bottom