Anyone using both the FC-6 and FC-12?

Adman103

Power User
Either to just get more buttons, or as part of a link layout setup? I'm really tempted to grab a 12, and it'd be really interesting to hear how people are setting up dual board rigs. With the link layouts option described in the manual, it seems like the possibilities would be endless to how you could control the Axe 3... How are you using your dual FC setup?

Might get more responses in the FC section of the Forum?
Yea, I goofed and posted this in the main forum, reported it, and the mods moved it. Thanks mods!
Everything about having two sounds like it would be really cool other than the separate power supply.
Yea, the separate power supply is a hassle, but I could totally deal with it. I've tossed around the idea of pulling out the soldering iron and wiring up a 7 pin xlr cable- 3 leads being the 3 pins for FASLink, 2 leads being a 9v DC connection that would be wired to an adapter back at the rack, and maybe using the remaining two leads for a signal from my wireless unit at the rack for a polytune at the pedalboard. It'd provide FASLink, power for the second board, and power and signal for the tuner. I'm definitely no expert with this, so there may be some reason why that wouldn't work, but it'd be a fun project, and it'd maintain the single cable to the pedalboard. Or, I could just plug the second board in, like the rest of the guitar world.

I've been thinking that the FC-6 could do a great job with presets and scenes, and the FC-12 could be used for effects and channels, or maybe scenes could mapped to the 12, with the 6 running the show with presets and tap tempo- but I have a hunch I'm thinking very simply about all this-

I would like a 12 for the main workflow and a 6 dedicated to the looper
That would be a great setup.

I've been thinking that the FC-6 could do a great job with presets and scenes, and the FC-12 could be used for effects and channels.

That was my initial thought working with the FC-6 as well. I don't need/want two controllers, and was thinking of sending the 6 back for the 12, but now that I have spent some time getting it configured and modifying the layouts to meet my preferred workflow, the 6 will work for me. I can't imagine needing more than the 12!

I've got both, but haven't used them together yet. The problem I run into
is that the last configuration you use is carried over to the next FC you connect.
For example, I set up a configuration for the 12, and then used the 6 at a gig.

The 12 settings are carried over to the 6 and vice-versa, depending on which
Layout was used last.

Edit: You can Import/Export the Layouts using Axe Edit III.

Last edited:
Does it really screw up the layouts or are they just not in the place you expected. The manual has an example of switch flow.

Yes, they are not where I expected them. The buttons that match
between the two are in the same location. So not screwed up,
just moved to match the last configuration.

Edit: You can Import & Export Layouts using Axe Edit III.

Last edited:
Yes, they are not where I expected them. The buttons that match
between the two are in the same location. So not screwed up,
just moved to match the last configuration.

Then new FC controls in Axe Edit III make it real easy to configure,
so if there is no way to save them independently, I can just use change
the configuration quickly for either one before a gig.
I was worried about exactly what you described, however, it seems like the ability to save a configuration in the new Axe-Edit just requires loading up whatever configuration you pre-program, which makes sense to me. Did you get the FC-6 for smaller stages?

I took the offer to buy the FC-6 while waiting for the FC-12 since we
did not have a timeline on the wait. I had gigs and wanted to get the
Axe III setup for live. Then a few weeks later, the invitation came for the FC-12.

I do however use both depending on the size of the gig. Since I don't usually
carry a laptop to gigs, I need to remember to import the appropriate config
before leaving home. Otherwise, unexpected button layouts may occur.

Still not sure how I would set it up to use both at once though.

Last edited:
Actually, now that I look at it, I think I was wrong- it looks like you can import and export layouts, not entire profiles for an FC. A bit more cumbersome. I don't have my Axe in front of me right now- I wonder if you can export multiple layouts at once. I'll have to try that and report back when I get home.

Edit: I'm home now, and it looks like you can only export and import one layout at a time. So to use an FC-6 and an FC-12, it'd be 9 exported layouts each to use them individually (for example, if you wanted to have the option of taking along either your FC-6 or FC-12, depending on space requirements), and another 9 exported layouts for each board that have link layouts or another dual board setup programmed in. Before a gig where you're changing your board, you'd just need to import your saved layouts. That could get complicated, but it doesn't really take that long to import or export, and it's a really impressive level of flexibility and control.

Last edited:
I'm home now, and it looks like you can only export and import one layout at a time. So to use an FC-6 and an FC-12, it'd be 9 exported layouts each to use them individually (for example, if you wanted to have the option of taking along either your FC-6 or FC-12, depending on space requirements), and another 9 exported layouts for each board that have link layouts or another dual board setup programmed in. Before a gig where you're changing your board, you'd just need to import your saved layouts. That could get complicated, but it doesn't really take that long to import or export, and it's a really impressive level of flexibility and control.
Thanks for the info! I have a FC-6 offered and now that's I've had it for month, it's too small for big presets that use 8 scenes, basically you don't want your scene changes on hold functions when you run 8 scenes like back on the MFC. It'd be nice to have three versions of utilizing a FC12+6 rig.
#1 FC 6+12 at my micstand for guitar
#2 FC 12 at my mic stand/ FC 6 at front of stage both for guitar
#3 FC 12 at my mic stand for guitar/ FC 6 at my pedal steel guitar using IN 2

Right now I use AX8 sitting on a music stand rack that has drum hardware attached to it that clamps on my pedal steel guitar's legs. But, the Axe III does multiple I/O, so why not!

Do I need a laptop to run Axe Edit III to run different layouts PER GIG!?

I've got both, but haven't used them together yet. The problem I run into
is that the last configuration you use is carried over to the next FC you connect.
For example, I set up a configuration for the 12, and then used the 6 at a gig.
The 12 settings carried over to the 6 and messed up the layouts. I'm not sure
yet if you can save them independently, but if you go back and forth it can be a hassle.
Good to know. This may affect my decision to even pick up a 12 at this point. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just an addendum to my earlier post. Yes, you can Import & Export layouts
using Axe Edit. But I'm not sure how you would go about Importing layouts
if you have both units connected together. Also, I'm not sure if Import/Export
can be used from the front panel (I suspect not, since you need to point to
a folder or drive to select a file). So you may need a laptop connected to
do this at a gig. I rarely bring a laptop to a gig.

Last edited:
Interested in this, especially as it relates not using FC6 or FC12 depending on the size of the gig. My question is can you create separate layouts by device without messing up the original? so I have I have an FC12 and want to create separate layouts for a more portable gig with the FC6 is this doable and does the Axe detect the correct one. It looks as though if I unplug one and pug in the other it shows as FC #1.

I'll take another look in the manual but curious as to how best do this. UPDATE - Here is what I think I need to do.

1. Save my FC12 layouts in a settings backup
2. Plug in the FC6
3. Reset the FC settings as per manual
4. Program the FC6 as I would like
5. Backup the FC6 layouts in a settings backup
6. Restore the appropriate one based on which I would be taking to a gig.

Is that the best way and will that work?

Thanks

MM

Last edited:
Interested in this, especially as it relates not using FC6 or FC12 depending on the size of the gig. My question is can you create separate layouts by device without messing up the original? so I have I have an FC12 and want to create separate layouts for a more portable gig with the FC6 is this doable and does the Axe detect the correct one. It looks as though if I unplug one and pug in the other it shows as FC #1.

I'll take another look in the manual but curious as to how best do this. UPDATE - Here is what I think I need to do.

1. Save my FC12 layouts in a settings backup
2. Plug in the FC6
3. Reset the FC settings as per manual
4. Program the FC6 as I would like
5. Backup the FC6 layouts in a settings backup
6. Restore the appropriate one based on which I would be taking to a gig.

Is that the best way and will that work?

Thanks

MM
This is exactly what I did with my units.

Back
Top Bottom