Anyone using Axe-FX strickly as Effects unit. Non amp modeling?

RonnR

Inspired
Would like to get some info. on using the FX as an effects unit only. I have tried I/O loop from amp, but not sure as to the FX settings I should try.
My original thoughts would be to just not use an Amp block, but this really effects gain structure (of course). Should it be as with other effects,
just pluged into the front end of the amp. Or is the effect loop best. Even without the powerful amp Modeling,
this looks like it would be a very wonderful effects pedal board..(a waste , perhaps but still..

Is there much differance between the effects only of the Ultra and FXII?
I remember threads on this when the FXII first came out, but cant find anything now.
TIA

I ran 4 cable method with my ultra for a few years before upgrading to the II and using it for everything. I'd say yes and no. There might be a bit more work to achieve some effects with the ultra. There are effect presets in the II ie phaser: phase 90, script 90, script 45. Delay: Digital mono, digital stereo, analog, tape...etc. The ultra you would have to download some effect block presets from the forum (Thread: Mother of all effects...).

With the II you also get the Humbuster tecnology on the I/O on back for running 4 cable. Some users have had success with that working well. My ultra and orange rockerverb worked as a pretty great setup honestly...took a lot of tweaking but that's somewhat the nature of the axe fx Ultra or II.

I use mine in my Triamp fx loop in serial. I get some really nice effects. Mostly reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and things of that sort.

I ran 4 cable method with my ultra for a few years before upgrading to the II and using it for everything. I'd say yes and no. There might be a bit more work to achieve some effects with the ultra. There are effect presets in the II ie phaser: phase 90, script 90, script 45. Delay: Digital mono, digital stereo, analog, tape...etc. The ultra you would have to download some effect block presets from the forum (Thread: Mother of all effects...).

With the II you also get the Humbuster tecnology on the I/O on back for running 4 cable. Some users have had success with that working well. My ultra and orange rockerverb worked as a pretty great setup honestly...took a lot of tweaking but that's somewhat the nature of the axe fx Ultra or II.

I had forgotten about the Effect presets. This makes it worth while in keeping the FXII.

Thanks for reply..

i only use my axe fx II as an effects unit in front of my redplate blackloop amp. it sounds great this way- like a virtual pedalboard. with that said, you should get a used ultra and save a ton of money. the effects have been slightly upgraded in the II but overall it's not worth the extra money. the amps have been significantly improved in the axe fx II and it's too bad that the effects haven't been given the same treatment.

i only use my axe fx II as an effects unit in front of my redplate blackloop amp. it sounds great this way- like a virtual pedalboard. with that said, you should get a used ultra and save a ton of money. the effects have been slightly upgraded in the II but overall it's not worth the extra money. the amps have been significantly improved in the axe fx II and it's too bad that the effects haven't been given the same treatment.

I have had the FXII for sometime now, however havent upgraded since V 11. I just couldn't seem to make the amps sound as good as my old 6l6 Super Reverb.
I read the forum everyday, and try everyones suggestions and tips.Just cant make it work for me. Everyone seem to think that amp modeling has improved since V11, so I'm going to drop in V14 tonight
and give it a try.
My thread was started with your suggestion in mind. If there isn't much differance between the Ultra and FXII as far as effects go, then I might consider trading down.
Thanks for your input.

I am using the axe-fx 2 in front of a 2001 Marshall bluesbreaker reissue with great results. I just upgraded the stock greenbacks with a celestion blue and gold...tone for days.

And once I get my compu-bias, I am going to put in some Gold Lion KT66's ;)

I've tried the AXE in front of my amp, and 4CM, and the only way I can get it to really jive with my amp was strictly as an effects unit in the loop of my Shiva. I still use a ModFactor in front of my amp for those effects that sound better before the primary drive of the amp (Phaser, auto-wah, mostly).

For some reason, when mixing tone creation from a digital source in front of an analog amp, I didn't really like the way it worked for me. I tried using the drive blocks in front of my amp and they were just okay to me. I also used amp blocks (power amp sims off) like pedals, and although they worked pretty well in that format, I still prefer my analog pedals. But the unit is so deep, I love it for verb, delay, and any other post amp gain effects (chorus, flange, pitch shifting, detune, tremelo), I also use a volume block for controlling overall volume (works great).

I can't see why I'd ever want to do that unless I had like a fortin Natas or something really rare and unique that I for some reason couldn't recreate to my satisfaction with axe fx. The 6505/5150 models are way better than the 6505+ that I replaced with axe fx. 6505+ sounded like a washing machine even with guitar volume off and in and out gain turned to like 1. Why would I want that excessive noise when I can have everything great about the amp + around 200 others with effects integrated into a 2space rack unit?

dude...

You NEED to upgrade to v14, the amps have improved a lot. Also try out Ultrares cabs as well.

This. They'll only get better. What's the point of having the real amp now? I'd rather spend money elsewhere. The tone may not be exactly 100% the same but that isn't a bad thing because the tones I get out of the fractal I think are better than out of the actual real amps now.

I have had the FXII for sometime now, however havent upgraded since V 11. I just couldn't seem to make the amps sound as good as my old 6l6 Super Reverb.
I read the forum everyday, and try everyones suggestions and tips.Just cant make it work for me. Everyone seem to think that amp modeling has improved since V11, so I'm going to drop in V14 tonight
and give it a try.
My thread was started with your suggestion in mind. If there isn't much differance between the Ultra and FXII as far as effects go, then I might consider trading down.
Thanks for your input.

well, if you already have the II you should probably keep it. the amps are vastly improved over the ultra and will come in handy if you're going to be doing some recording. if you didn't have an axe fx yet and were getting one for the effects, i would suggest getting the ultra

Back
Top Bottom