Anyone using Austin Buddy presets live?

So I tried the pack at a gig yesterday.
I only need three basic sounds. Clean, crunch and distortion. Nothing special. I ended up using a vox ac30 for clean and the bogner blue for both crunch and distortion. Can happily report that they translated well to Foh and at live volume.

The big thing to me is that you have a big pack to try a diffrent presets for diffrent guitars. So there is a big chance you will find one that sound great to that guitar without any adjustments needed. And feel comfortable knowing that they´ve been volume matched, and adjusted in a good studio. More playing, less tweaking. I like that!

I decided to try and see what the fuss is about and bought AXE III pack.
I only went through maybe 20 presets so far, but they are really good. I noted my favorite presets and scenes and will come back to them once i will scroll through all presets.
Its called 700+ amps, so before buying I was thinking its 700 presets. That option overload scared me alot, but actually theres much less presets, because they are nicely organised in scenes. Scene names on the III are a big help here.

I was very skeptical about this idea, but I highly recommend these presets after I tried them. I wish Factory presets would sound this good.

I use these live and love the idea. Well worth the cost. Has saved untold time getting a good tone.
Haven’t even gone through near all of them. Went right for the 5153 and rested there (and a couple others) for a while. Back to gigging....

MORE FREAKIN’ LESS TWEAKIN’!

Bought the pack a week or two ago and then used on the road at a bunch of shows the following weekend. Worked like a charm FOH and with in ears/wedges.

The AC30 clean has definitely become one of my faves and the Marshall JTM45 is phenomenal.

Happy trails....!

Bought the pack a week or two ago and then used on the road at a bunch of shows the following weekend. Worked like a charm FOH and with in ears/wedges.

The AC30 clean has definitely become one of my faves and the Marshall JTM45 is phenomenal.

Happy trails....!

I think I’ll try the AC30 next. I have a couple applications for that.

Used the AB presets live again last night and for the first time in a long while felt extremely satisfied with my tone. Had the powered XiTone wedges behind me and my tone as well as the monitor and FOH was great. I am newly inspired, which hasn’t been easy to do lately.

I know people talk about the tones sounding like a mic’d Amp. On a couple presets I actually a/b with my Dual Rectifier in the room and it’s right there. I love that the FOH tone sounds more like a real amp than an actual real amp! I’ve never been thrilled with the mic’d Amp tone on FOH when using a real cab. And the AB stuff gets you there quicker!

I´ve bought my Axe8 almost a year ago. Been tweaking my head of and trying diffrent settings, amps and so on. Trying them out at gigs and then going home and do some adjustments. Fun! But it also takes a lot of time.
So yesterday I bought the Austin Buddy presets. Man! Why didn´t I do that from the start. It´s like getting a new Ax8 almost. They sound great! And it´s so easy trying out diffrent amps without having to do anything, trying cabs, settings and so on.

They sound great in the studio but I´m wondering if anyone have tried them live?
Usually I put the high cut in the cab block to 8000khz. But the Austin presets seem to be set at 10k and up. That work great in a recording but maybe sound too bright live?
Will not be able to try myself in a Pa before next gig so maybe someone have some experience?
Thanks!
Wanted to ask have you bought any of the cabs that they offer? Was thinking about trying them.

Hi there Was wondering if you have tyres any of the cabs that they offer here? Was thinking about trying them.

Just another report from this weekends two gigs.
On friday i did a corporate event with professional sound engineers (seperate Foh and on stage engineers). After the gig one of them came up to me and told me how good the ax8 sounded and that he barely had to do anything with it.
And on saturday it was a private event were we handled the sound ourselves. And now our guy on trumpet told me how good the guitar sounded. It was the first time with the austin presets.

I used the vox ac30 and the bogner modern blue only and I haven´t done anything to them besides adding effects. Awesome!

A lot of advice in this forum suggests that new owners learn by modeling an amp they are intimately familiar with and go from there.

My problem is that I have no such amp. I've played through software since the POD 2.0.

So for a guy like me, Austin's pack was a real gift. I was skeptical about the price, but once I started going through patches, I started thinking about how much time it took to put this together. If I remember, the full pack has something like 500 different tones (counting A/B and I forget what else). And they all sound pretty good to excellent. I imagine that took a TON of work - to the point where I started thinking the price was probably too cheap.

Hi everyone,

Sorry late to this thread. Thanks for all the feedback. Here are a few miscellaneous things to add or clarify, that may help on some of the topics above...sorry the sequence order is random, but it covers questions from the thread...

In 700+ Naked Amps TonePack versions 8.02 and 9.02, the LO CUT in Cab Block was set pretty low, like 40Hz or 50Hz. When 10.0 came out, the bass response was much enhanced in that new firmware. So, for the 10.x version I went to a LO CUT between 70Hz (usually minimum 100Hz) and 176Hz in Cab Block. The bass content is highly dependent on the amp and the IR being used, as well as the guitar and pickup too.

Some IRs have a lot of bass built in (like the Uber V30 cab). So do some Modern amps (ENGL, Uber). For professional live stage use for most genres, your sound guy at the board is likely going to cut everything below 100Hz to 150Hz for your guitar to sit in the mix, and probably everything above 8kHz or so. You don't get much audible guitar frequency stuff above 7kHz except for "Air" and maybe sparkle, so 10kHz HI CUT in Cab Block works fine, but I'll sometimes go down as low as 5kHZ to 6kHz to tame any harsh high end, or even for a Tweed amp that doesn't put much out frequency above 5kHz anyway - it helps focus the mids mainly by doing these things.

I do 700+ tones in the TonePack precisely because I personally wanted a preset version for every amp model in multiple gain stages. I knew not everyone will like every amp, but they could find amps they would like at their own pace if I covered them all. Could have broken this up into smaller pieces, charging less for each piece, but it the process becomes harder to manage overall and update.

The idea is, you get a good example of what EVERY amp in the Ax8 sounds like -- whether you care for those amps or not -- you can try and find what you like, or just go right to ones you know. I personally have discovered awesome amps I would have never have tried but not for this collection. I just recently re-discovered the Splawn Quickrod JCM with a factory IR cab pairing with added more mids I had not considered before that totally changed my opinion of that amp, its now in my top ten of killer amps. This kind of exploration happens and yields results and surprises!

Hundreds and hundreds of hours went into the 700+ AX8 TonePack, and I have done two firmware updates for free. I think $59 - the cost of a single pedal -- is more than a fair price, and agree with some here that it's actually a steal, but I also wanted this product widely adopted among AX8 users. Too many people struggle to program good sounds or get frustrated, and this TonePack saves you hours of time, you get great tones in a "plug and play" format. If you think about what your own time is worth on a hourly basis and the amount of time theTonePack saves you making/dialing in tones, the TonePack pays for itself in a single day's work for yourself.

Also I'm limited by the preset space and the architecture in producing these preset collections with the 16 subbanks & 8 presets per bank structure. One thing I love about the Axe-Fx III is being able to label/name up to 8 scenes/tones inside a single preset!!! That helps a lot in making a variety of sounds and being able to convey to the user WHAT the tones is supposed to be -- "edgy" "grindy" "snarly" "arpeggios" "Medium gain" "lead tone" etc. I did that all over the 1000+ Axe III version. Wish I could have done it for 700+ Naked Amps pack, but it's not an option...

The gain presets are dialed in for medium-output humbuckers, although the cleans had a single coil focus when dialed in (with the MicroBoost drive engaged), especially the 9.x and 8.x versions where I used my Tele neck pickup to dial in the cleans. For 10.x I re-did for humbuckers. So you have access to old firmware "cleans-only" for Tele/single coils if you like...

There are some amps that do not get along with single coils but work great with humbuckers -- think of a 5000pf bright cap value Plexi Marshall (the Hi-1 model) which is screechy -- while some amps were designed specifically to favor single coils over humbuckers -- like the Ruby Rocket. There are also lots of ways to dial in most amps, especially master volume amps or then using different drive pedals.

I can get 12 awesome sounds from a Fender 59 Bassman easy. A Dumble can be tricky to dial in, the interaction between the input gain, the overdrive, and the master gives a lot of tonal options for sure. Some amps are mostly one trick ponies. Drive blocks change it all again , which is why I mostly stick with boosts and let YOU figure out what drive block you like best.

And amp overall tone can vary just by guitar pickup strength for sure -- a darker PRS style humbucker versus low output Gibson PAF versus Tele. That's just the nature of this. A dark sound on a humbucker can still end up being shrill or ice-pick with a Strat bridge pickup. So sometimes a balance is what you try to get in dialing it in.

The "last mile" is always about the player's hands, their guitars and pickups, and genre of music. Through the TonePack, I'm just helping getting you really close -- if not spot on -- to iconic tones from each amp, and saving you hours of time.

Definitely trying User IRs can make TonePack presets better. I used the Factory Cab IRs in the presets so you don't have to, but sure, experiment. There is a way to "pin" the Cab Manager page open and you can play and just click on different cabs until you find what you love.

Some of the high gain settings are definitely going to sound compressed -- because that's what adding lots and lots of gain does, it thins out the tone. I'm finding I'll sometimes lower the bright cap to tame the gain and harshness in Marshalls for example. You can always back off the gain or overdrive. Use the amp gain and volume controls like you would in the real world.

So this is a kind of sneak announcement
...but it is germane to the thread topic of using AX8 presets live. While a lot of attention is being paid to the AXE-Fx III deservedly, I've not forgotten about the AX8.

I've spent the last few months and hundreds of hours developing a NEW special "Dream Rigs" TonePack.

It's aimed specifically for AX8 LIVE playing, with most presets all dialed in new, under firmware 10.1 from scratch, so includes new sounds not covered in 700+ pack. It will include various effects and a few special tricks.

I've been dialing it all in loudly/stage volume, in mono with my Atomic CLR behind me (to me back) about 12 feet away just like on stage, so it feels and responds like a real amp. I've been using my Zappa SG, but also using a Suhr Strat and aa Tele to check single coils sounds as I go. Also using a detuned PRS for the modern/heavy amps...

This new pack will give you a clean, low gain, medium/rhythm, and high gain or lead tone for almost every amp model, along with various boosts built in plus a "Kicker - single coil boost" to compensate for a guitar change on a presets, and include a nice albeit limited extra effects block library to try out.

I'm hoping to have it ready before Thanksgiving for you. My beta testers are very pleased with it. Anyone who bought a 700+ Naked Amps Pack will get a price discount as well. This TonePack is much better organized, uses X/Y effects blocks, and is designed so there is a methodology to follow to help you more easily assemble your own "dream rig(s)" from the preset choices, designed for Live use.

It also records nicely too. I can't say much more just yet, but will soon, so stay tuned! Now, back to the studio...:)

Last edited:

I've spent the last few months and hundreds of hours developing a NEW special "Dream Rigs" TonePack.

It's aimed specifically for AX8 LIVE playing, with most dialed in new under firmware 10.1 from scratch, so new sounds not covered in 700+ pack. It will include various effects and a few special tricks. I've been dialing it all in loudly/stage volume, in mono with my Atomic CLR behind me (to me back) about 12 feet away just like on stage, so it feels and responds like a real amp.
Guys, this is gonna be a killer pack. I've had the chance to audition early versions of the Dream Rigs TonePack extensively, at gig volumes in a 1000-seat venue, standing at 8th-row-center.The tones rival the best I've heard in any live show, and I had a few "Holy crap!" moments when I hit on a Dream Rig that was particularly well-suited to my guitar. Can't wait to play with the final release.

When I wrote the Guide to the Fractal Audio Models, I created presets for most of the amp models as showcases, applying the tips and tricks from the guide.

I stopped doing that after Buddy released his TonePacks. Because Buddy simply does a better job.

This thread made me run through his stuff again, and everything sounds so authentic and amazing.

Hi everyone,

...but it is germane to the thread topic of using AX8 presets live. While a lot of attention is being paid to the AXE-Fx III deservedly, I've not forgotten about the AX8.

It's aimed specifically for AX8 LIVE playing, with most presets all dialed in new, under firmware 10.1 from scratch, so includes new sounds not covered in 700+ pack. It will include various effects and a few special tricks.

I've been dialing it all in loudly/stage volume, in mono with my Atomic CLR behind me (to me back) about 12 feet away just like on stage, so it feels and responds like a real amp. I've been using my Zappa SG, but also using a Suhr Strat and aa Tele to check single coils sounds as I go. Also using a detuned PRS for the modern/heavy amps...

This new pack will give you a clean, low gain, medium/rhythm, and high gain or lead tone for almost every amp model, along with various boosts built in plus a "Kicker - single coil boost" to compensate for a guitar change on a presets, and include a nice albeit limited extra effects block library to try out.

I'm hoping to have it ready before Thanksgiving for you. My beta testers are very pleased with it. Anyone who bought a 700+ Naked Amps Pack will get a price discount as well. This TonePack is much better organized, uses X/Y effects blocks, and is designed so there is a methodology to follow to help you more easily assemble your own "dream rig(s)" from the preset choices, designed for Live use.

It also records nicely too. I can't say much more just yet, but will soon, so stay tuned! Now, back to the studio...:)

PERFECT timing AB! PLEASE have it out by Thanksgiving so I can spend the long holiday weekend with it. It's like an early Christmas!

AB... please reply

"I've spent the last few months and hundreds of hours developing a NEW special "Dream Rigs" TonePack. "

How many presets can we expect in this new Dream Rigs pack?

For clarification, how many presets are in your 700+ pack?

Thank you.

AB... please reply

"I've spent the last few months and hundreds of hours developing a NEW special "Dream Rigs" TonePack. "

For clarification, how many presets are in your 700+ pack?

-> Around 400 presets if I remember correctly, with most having Amp X/Y so over 700 different tones. I can get number exact later, answering all this typong on my iPhone and resting my ears after long session of leveling the Marshall bank...

Thank you.

How many in 700+ : -> Around 400 presets if I remember correctly, with most having Amp X/Y so over 700 different tones. I can get number exact later, answering all this typong on my iPhone and resting my ears after long session of leveling the Marshall bank...

As of now there are five banks and most presets have an Amp X/Y...some intentional blank spaces (16 slots) in each bank for a purpose... so right now about 540 presets and nearly 1000 tones.

Bank 1 is Fender, Vox, Hiwatt, Supro, Gibson

Bank 2 is all the Marshalls, Friedman BE and HBE, plus Atomica

Bank 3 is all the Class A amps (or no negativve feedback amps) auch as Matchless and then the Dumble style and boutique amps like Trainwrecks

Bank 4 is modern and modern combo style amps like Suhr, Friedman Small Box and Shirley, Bogner XTC, Komet, FAS

Bank 5 is the heavy modern amps like ENGL, Diezel, Uber, Peavey EVH, FAS Modern

Just about every amp is covered with four tones. So this pack is comparable but not identical to the 1000+ Axe III Pack.

When you see the extra goodies and footswitch stuff you’ll understand.

I may do a bonus Bank with artist gig rigs like Jimmy Page, Eric Johnson, Blues Rig. If I don’t get that done before Thanksgiving then it will be available as update download in December.

The real purpose is to make it easy for YOU to audition and easily assemble your own “Dream Rigs” by finding the cleans, low gains, medium and rhythm tones, high gains and lead tones you like best and copying into your own rig slots and tailoring them to the type of guitars and playback system you use. There will be effects in the presets and a modest effects library you can audition from too.

Last edited:
How many in 700+ : -> Around 400 presets if I remember correctly, with most having Amp X/Y so over 700 different tones. I can get number exact later, answering all this typong on my iPhone and resting my ears after long session of leveling the Marshall bank...

As of now there are five banks and most presets have an Amp X/Y...some intentional blank spaces (16 slots) in each bank for a purpose... so right now about 540 presets and nearly 1000 tones.

Bank 1 is Fender, Vox, Hiwatt, Supro, Gibson

Bank 2 is all the Marshalls, Friedman BE and HBE, plus Atomica

Bank 3 is all the Class A amps (or no negativve feedback amps) auch as Matchless and then the Dumble style and boutique amps like Trainwrecks

Bank 4 is modern and modern combo style amps like Suhr, Friedman Small Box and Shirley, Bogner XTC, Komet, FAS

Bank 5 is the heavy modern amps like ENGL, Diezel, Uber, Peavey EVH, FAS Modern

Just about every amp is covered with four tones. So this pack is comparable but not identical to the 1000+ Axe III Pack.

When you see the extra goodies and footswitch stuff you’ll understand.

I may do a bonus Bank with artist gig rigs like Jimmy Page, Eric Johnson, Blues Rig. If I don’t get that done before Thanksgiving then it will be available as update download in December.

The real purpose is to make it east for YOU to audition and easily assemble your own “Dream Rigs” by finding the cleans, low gains, medium and rhythm tones, high gains and lead tones you like best and copying into your own rig slots and tailoring them to the type of guitars and playback system you use. There will be effects in the presets and a modest effects library you can audition from too.

Thank you!
Looking forward to it!
Be sure to let us know as soon as it is available.

Back
Top Bottom