Anyone using an RJM Mastermind?

I have both an FC-6 and a GT/22. They are clearly different from each other. What isn't necessarily clear is that they address a different set of needs. There's overlap, but they are not 1:1 comparable in their features or intended use. I use them as required depending on the needs of the situation.

For sheer power-per-square-inch, I think the FC-6 wins out in an Axe-Fx III-only situation. But the GT/22 spreads more power over a much larger footprint and more complicated user interface.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this ? I mostly have 2 use cases ... live with scenes and crucial functions instantly accessible (like delay hold, boost, modulation on/off , reverb on/off). And the other is a more freeform jam / writing session with all effects and various channels available through multiple switch presses.

The RJM GT 16 seems like it would do the trick but definitely looks like a lot of programming to achieve this.

I too use the GT22 and very happy with it. I already owned it before I got My AexFXIII. If I didn't have a controller when I bought the Axe I would have gone the FC route.

As already stated, it's a matter of horses for courses. If the only midi unit in your chain is an Axe, then the FC's would suffice nicely.

You either need two cables or you need to use a simple, passive merge box. There are options for the merge box depending on whether you have a GT/22 or a version with fewer switches.
There is a cable made by Bestronics that provides a bi-directional MIDI connectivity and power. Just sold one one Reverb that I used for my MM/GT.

I ran both an RJM MM/GT 22 and an FC-6 side by side for a while. I sold the MM/GT 22 a couple of weeks ago.

I wrote up some brief thoughts in the following thread: FC Controllers Now Shipping!

The FC is a lot easier to set up. The MM is really powerful and flexible. The MM is more robust for uses that include additional MIDI devices.

At the end of the day I determined that while the MM is a very capable controller for the AXE III, I did not need all of that power. The FC was able to handle what I really needed. I chose cheaper and easier over power and flexibility.

There is a cable made by Bestronics that provides a bi-directional MIDI connectivity and power. Just sold one one Reverb that I used for my MM/GT.
Yes. You still need the merge-split box to use it with your Axe-Fx III though. Which is precisely what I said.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this ? I mostly have 2 use cases ... live with scenes and crucial functions instantly accessible (like delay hold, boost, modulation on/off , reverb on/off). And the other is a more freeform jam / writing session with all effects and various channels available through multiple switch presses.

The RJM GT 16 seems like it would do the trick but definitely looks like a lot of programming to achieve this.
I can't really elaborate. There's not much to elaborate on. Do you need 6 switches or 16 switches? Do you need a small form factor or a large form factor? Do you need to control an Axe-Fx III or more than just a III?

In my experience, when I'm on the fence about how many switches I need to get through a night, I almost always opt for the FC6. It's capable, but compact. And I don't do anything, live, that I can't get to with a few layout jumps. I have the exact same expression pedal layout on the FC6 and the GT/22. That might not work for you. It's a very personal decision.

Before the latest FC update with the stand in switch functionality, I would have said the Mastermind was more powerful. Not really the case anymore. Not for me anyway.
The FC will, no doubt, evolve very quickly. Evolution is practically a constant when you talk Fractal Audio products. It'd be folly to judge the FCs on only the features they have to day, I think.

Yes. You still need the merge-split box to use it with your Axe-Fx III though. Which is precisely what I said.
Not with the new cable they released in December. It is a single DIN that spilts to MIDI IN/OUT and a power whip. Single plug into RJM MM/GT. It is what I used. No merge split box required.

Last edited:
Not the new cable they release in December. It is a single DIN that spilts to MIDI IN/OUT and a power whip. Single plug into RJM MM/GT. It is what I used. No merge split box required.
Interesting. I stand corrected then.

Edit: https://btpa.com/AS-MSTRMBIP-XX.html -- neat. While I'm counting things about the GT/22 I don't like, that semi-proprietary cable is a constant source of worry. I carry two when I do take it out. The FC's use of an XLR cable is the superior solution IMHO.

Hello all,
+ Very satisfied with the RJM MM 22. Have used it for my Kemper before they came out with their foot controller.
+ Love the clear screens and colors that are easy to read. I love the total overview it gives.
+ Other advantages is that it will work with my AXEFX3 but also the Kemper and Helix rack.

- Complexity can be a negative point, when wanting to change the factory configuration I suppose.
- The amount of wires. I am now using the "MIDI to UTP --> UTP to MIDI" adapters to limit the wires to the AXEFX. Cheap and it helps.

I know there are some guys out that that have changes the factory config.
I did see a guy using a fellow called IRC's setup on youtube.

This looks great and I would love to test drive this set-up for the AXEFX3. Does anybody have this setup (Mod) file or something similar?

Thx!
Keep up the great work Fractal.
W.

- Complexity can be a negative point, when wanting to change the factory configuration I suppose.
I think the editor really makes it easy, all you need is a basic understanding of MIDI. There are some good videos on how to start with this online.

- The amount of wires. I am now using the "MIDI to UTP --> UTP to MIDI" adapters to limit the wires to the AXEFX. Cheap and it helps.
I use the Phantom Power Adapter (XLR-6F) so I only have one single cable that runs from my AxeFX3 to my GT22 (this handles power and coms). Very quick and easy to setup when playing live.

I know there are some guys out that that have changes the factory config.
I did see a guy using a fellow called IRC's setup on youtube.
The video you are referring to was posted by @Burgs and @iaresee is the guru who created the config that is in the video.

I think that most RJM users pretty much like to start with the factory config, and then tweak it from there. I did the same, and now my config works well for my workflow and I find I tend to tweak it every now and then when I realise I can do things better. The flexibility of the GT22 is really powerful, it has easily managed to do everything I have thrown at it. I can send you my config if you like, however it is customised heavily for me and I'm not sure it would work as well for you because my presets on my AxeFX are designed to work with my GT22 layout and vice versa. I think Ian has a very good config, but I'm not sure if he is able to provide it or not.

I think the editor really makes it easy, all you need is a basic understanding of MIDI. There are some good videos on how to start with this online.

I use the Phantom Power Adapter (XLR-6F) so I only have one single cable that runs from my AxeFX3 to my GT22 (this handles power and coms). Very quick and easy to setup when playing live.

The video you are referring to was posted by @Burgs and @iaresee is the guru who created the config that is in the video.

I think that most RJM users pretty much like to start with the factory config, and then tweak it from there. I did the same, and now my config works well for my workflow and I find I tend to tweak it every now and then when I realise I can do things better. The flexibility of the GT22 is really powerful, it has easily managed to do everything I have thrown at it. I can send you my config if you like, however it is customised heavily for me and I'm not sure it would work as well for you because my presets on my AxeFX are designed to work with my GT22 layout and vice versa. I think Ian has a very good config, but I'm not sure if he is able to provide it or not.

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I agree with most you said.
I be interested to see what you did with your setup. I was blown away with the IRC setup. That really adds extra functionality to the AXEFX 3 to my opinion. The total overview and the scenes are amazing.
Thx!.
W.

You can get my latest GT/22 setup and an explanation of how I have everything configured on the RJM forum here.

On my Axe-Fx III, if I'm using my GT/22 I have External Controller 1, 2, and 3 set to CC#'s 11, 12, and 13 respectively. The GT/22 has a Mission EP1 and two Dunlop VPs attached to it.

If I use my FC6 instead I simply set External Controller 1, 2, and 3 to FC 1 PEDAL 1, 2 and 3 respectively and everything works perfectly as expected. I have an EV-1 and two EV-2s I run with the FC6.

I love being able to go with the spaceship GT/22 setup or the diminuitive-but-powerful FC6 depending on my needs for any gig.

Last edited:
You can get my latest GT/22 setup and an explanation of how I have everything configured on the RJM forum here.

On my Axe-Fx III, if I'm using my GT/22 I have External Controller 1, 2, and 3 set to CC#'s 11, 12, and 13 respectively. The GT/22 has a Mission EP1 and two Dunlop VPs attached to it.

If I use my FC6 instead I simply set External Controller 1, 2, and 3 to FC 1 PEDAL 1, 2 and 3 respectively and everything works perfectly as expected. I have an EV-1 and two EV-2s I run with the FC6.

I love being able to go with the spaceship GT/22 setup or the diminuitive-but-powerful FC6 depending on my needs for any gig.

Thank you!!!

Im in the midst of setting my GT16 up right now and I was wondering if anyone could help with specifics on how to use “external” modifiers. I have one set to boost the gain and it works great but will not play well with other buttons by resetting and turning off when told to. Clean----crunch----lead(gain boost with external 3) When I switch back to the clean sound i want the lead button to go dim and the modifier to go to its original state. I’ve tried tying the clean and lead buttons with a group but for some reason the lead button becomes inoperative after the first press and won’t respond as desired.

The thing is when using a modifier on an amp gain is that it stays on across the amp block no matter which amp channel you are using.

any thoughts?

Thanks,
Max

Im in the midst of setting my GT16 up right now and I was wondering if anyone could help with specifics on how to use “external” modifiers. I have one set to boost the gain and it works great but will not play well with other buttons by resetting and turning off when told to. Clean----crunch----lead(gain boost with external 3) When I switch back to the clean sound i want the lead button to go dim and the modifier to go to its original state. I’ve tried tying the clean and lead buttons with a group but for some reason the lead button becomes inoperative after the first press and won’t respond as desired.

The thing is when using a modifier on an amp gain is that it stays on across the amp block no matter which amp channel you are using.

any thoughts?

Thanks,
Max

Fixed! The Externals in the Axe are initially set to 0 values. All I had to do was change them to the CC numbers I wanted them to use and bingo.

I have a question about the Mastermind LT.

I was able to buy one locally from a forum member (excellent transaction). I've spent a few hours with it and I've been able to setup devices, get the Axe-Fx tuner working, setup presets, IA's, download presets from the Axe-Fx, etc. I was told that in order to get the LT to display the Axe-Fx tuner, I couldn't have any MIDI devices between the LT and the Axe-Fx. So, I connected the MIDI OUT of the LT to the MIDI IN on the Axe-Fx. I then took a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT/THRU of the Axe-Fx and connected it to the input of my Roland MM-4 MIDI THRU BOX.

1572631394871.png

From there, I go to the MIDI IN of my SDD-3000 delay, a Korg A3 and a Voodoo Lab GCX switcher. So far, I've only setup the GCX and I can turn loops on and off, no problem.

The only issue I'm having, that I can't seem to figure out, is that the MIDI light on the MM-4, the SDD-3000 and the GCX are constantly flashing. It's not the MIDI THRU BOX because I bypassed it and went from the MIDI OUT/THRU of the Axe/Fx to the MIDI IN of the GCX and the MIDI light on the GCX continually flashed.

Anyone know why and how to stop it, if possible?

EDIT: After the checking the manual of the SDD-3000, the LED blinking is the TAP/TEMPO LED.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom