Anyone using an RJM Mastermind?

Is there a disadvantage using the RJM vs a fractal controller ? Since I joined the FC waitlist only in April, I doubt I'm going to get it anytime soon and I'm thinking of a mastermind GT instead. I'm hoping any future controllability introduced in the FC can be replicated in the GT firmware.

Loving my MMGT 16. Though i am on the waitlist for the FC12, looks like i will be settling with the MMGT 16 instead. The large LED's are a big plus factor to me for live gigging!

I'm a very happy GT22 user and I have not used a Fractal FC so my opinion is a little half sided. Basically I started using the GT22 about 2 months ago, I had it up and running within a couple of minutes with very little learning curve - that said, you do need to know a little bit about MIDI in order to set it up.

The advantage of the FC controllers is that they are incredibly simple to setup, and their configuration is built into Axe-Edit. And they are cheaper too!

So far I have been able to replicate all functionality that the FC's have (limited to what I have seen on videos), however as mentioned there are some areas where you need a small understanding of MIDI.

The only disadvantage I can think of with the GT is that you have to manually sync preset/scene names, whereas the FC controllers get this dynamically. A manual sync of the preset/scene names is very simple, however you just have to remember to do it now/then. Coming from an MFC101 with FASLink I realise I was a little spoilt with how well that worked.

Personally I think both are incredibly great products, I have full confidence my GT22 will keep me happy as long as I use an AxeFX and I am pretty sure I would feel the same way about an FC controller too.

I had a GT16....great unit. But the FC's are so easy to use. Learning curve is very small. They cost less too. But....GT16 and GT22 both have more buttons and larger screens and the such. That is their main benefit over the FC's.

After a year on the EU FC12 waitlist, I cancelled FC and bought a GT16 last week, great unit.
Yes, FC is cheaper and perhaps a bit easier, but also proprietary like previous poster said, has no midi interface....and no setlist support (yet).
Downside is I now have to build a new pedalboard to make it all fit...oh well

I own one and I love it. Axe-Fx III support is built into the latest firmware, so if you haven't upgraded your Mastermind, you'll want to do that.

In a nutshell, you have the option of making every single button on the unit into a macro that will send as many separate MIDI commands as you want. Want a single button that will turn OFF delay, reverb, chorus, pitch, while turning ON the compressor with one press? Easy.

They're quite expensive, but I don't know of a MIDI controller on the market that gives you more control over your stuff.

Last edited:
I own one and I love it. Axe-Fx III support is built into the latest firmware, so if you haven't upgraded your Mastermind, you'll want to do that.

In a nutshell, you having the option of making every single button on the unit into a macro that will send as many separate MIDI commands as you want. Want a single button that will turn OFF delay, reverb, chorus, pitch, while turning ON the compressor with one press? Easy.

They're quite expensive, but I don't know of a MIDI controller on the market that gives you more control over your stuff.

FAMC Liquid Foot Pro (i don't know if it has less or more features but they are really similar function wise. I own a LF+ and like it but sometimes updates take a long time. Like now the unit supports Axe FX III but as far as i know RJM was way faster on this, we waited long long for that FW. Maybe thats the price you pay...Famc products are way cheaper than RJM.

I have both an FC-6 and a GT/22. They are clearly different from each other. What isn't necessarily clear is that they address a different set of needs. There's overlap, but they are not 1:1 comparable in their features or intended use. I use them as required depending on the needs of the situation.

For sheer power-per-square-inch, I think the FC-6 wins out in an Axe-Fx III-only situation. But the GT/22 spreads more power over a much larger footprint and more complicated user interface.

Before the latest FC update with the stand in switch functionality, I would have said the Mastermind was more powerful. Not really the case anymore. Not for me anyway.

Another satisfied GT22 user here. I purchased the FC12 after using the RJM several months so I could compare. For my uses, the RJM was the more capable unit, and I sold the FC. That is not to say the FC isn’t a great unit. If the Axe Fx is all you’ll ever control with it, the FC is plenty capable at less than half the cost of an MMGT/22. If your palette is a bit wider, the MMGT will not disappoint. And Ron and Sherri at RJM are first rate people, and take care of you in much the same way as FAS, which is high praise indeed.

Back
Top Bottom