Anyone using Alto TRUESONIC TS115A speakers with AE2?

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
I picked up one at Guitar Center for $275. Not sure how it compares to Atomic CLR or others but is way better than the 5" Tannoy studio monitors I was using previously.

The main reason I went with the Alto is that I just want to make sure that it sounds good through the PA and will use IEM on stage.

Same here, but I use the 10"

I'm very interested in your opinion about Alto 10" + Axe II. I sold my Axe long ago but lately I've been playing direct with my Alto and different modelers (GSP1101, GT100, Zoom, etc) and I really miss it. If you can elaborate a little more about your rig (did you come from amps or from Axe 1st gen, have you compared it to other speakers, what else do you carry to gigs apart from Axe and Alto, etc), I'd appreciate it.

I picked up one at Guitar Center for $275. Not sure how it compares to Atomic CLR or others but is way better than the 5" Tannoy studio monitors I was using previously.

I use them for FOH simulation in my jam room, not as a monitor. I use Samson studio monitors as my, well, monitor ;) . I use an A/B switch going from my live rig setup to my studio monitor to simulate FOH/mixer configuration.

Personally I do not think they are flat enough of response to be a monitor. They do not compare to the Amotics CLR from what I have read. These were more designed as middle of the road DJ/PA gear, not really a powered monitor. To each their own though, they work great for my side DJ stuff!

The problem I had is that I would set up my sounds using the Tannoys. But when I was gigging and would go through the board it sounded totally different and I would have to cut the bass on the board drastically. I got the Alto so that I could set up a sound at home that would be close to what everyone would hear through the board at the club.

I use them for FOH simulation in my jam room, not as a monitor. I use Samson studio monitors as my, well, monitor ;) . I use an A/B switch going from my live rig setup to my studio monitor to simulate FOH/mixer configuration.

Personally I do not think they are flat enough of response to be a monitor. They do not compare to the Amotics CLR from what I have read. These were more designed as middle of the road DJ/PA gear, not really a powered monitor. To each their own though, they work great for my side DJ stuff!

I just cant justify the prices for the Atomic CLR and other solutions. I just use the stage monitors or IEM to hear on stage.

I'm very interested in your opinion about Alto 10" + Axe II.

I used to have an Alto 10". It's inexpensive, but just OK when used with the Axe II, in my experience. At home at low volumes it was fine. But at high volume, either to be heard over a drummer or to get an idea what the Axe will sound like through a PA, I thought it was inadequate. The bass starts to give out and it just doesn't have the power to hang with a loud-ish rock drummer.

The QSC K10 I had was better in every way than the Alto except in price. The K10 had more power and was fine with a drummer/full band. However, the K10 had a harsh high end, especially at loud volume over the course of a night of playing. I used it for several months and wasn't unhappy with it, though, so it's an acceptable option in my opinion if that's your budget (approx. $450-$500 used here in the US).

The CLR that I use now is noticeably better in every way than the Alto & K10, except price and weight. But it sounds fantastic, and I'm very satisfied with it.

As far as my setup, I have always run direct from the Axe to both the front of house PA and my powered speaker. I place the speaker in front of me or to my side, angled up. I don't use any other cabs and rarely have guitar in my FOH mix monitor.

HTH

Thanks for your input, TFC, and sorry OP for the off-topic (kind of…).

I've had the QSC K10 and although it sounded very good, I didn't found much difference between it and the Alto. There's a difference, of course, but that doesn't justify the difference in price.

And K10 fan annoyed me a lot, I couldn't stand it (at home, live doesn't matter). Anyway, these was long ago (I had an Axe Fx Standard), maybe with the II things have changed. Btw, I haven't had problems playing with a drummer when using the 10" powered Alto.

I picked up a pair of the TS112's back in July for $200 each and for the money they are not bad at all. If you like what your hearing then it's a good deal and will do, Personally I believe this type of speaker is more representative of the average PA at a bar or club gig. They also have a floor wedge version if your interested that doesn't look that bad ether.

In the low end budget minded speaker arena Alto and Seismic seem to be the top of the pile.

Back
Top Bottom