Anyone using a rack case bigger than 6U?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any of you use and go out gigging with anything bigger than a 6u rack case? And if so what do you have in there?

I’ve got a 6u case at the moment which has my power conditioner, axe III and 2u matrix power amp. I quite like the idea of adding a laptop drawer so that everything is together and all protected. That means getting a 7u case to accommodate everything.

What do you all think? too much?

Cheers

Paul

Sure, I have a 10-space rack, it's got

1U Power conditioner
3U Axe 3
1U Matrix GT1000
1U Wireless unit
2U Shelf with an external pedal and expression knobs on it
2U Drawer holding my wireless packs and misc stuff

It's only too much if you don't have help loading it. I use a Northern Equipment hydraulic lift table to get it in and out of the car at home, and I let my bandmates help me unload at rehearsals and gigs.

Sure, I have a 10-space rack, it's got

1U Power conditioner
3U Axe 3
1U Matrix GT1000
1U Wireless unit
2U Shelf with an external pedal and expression knobs on it
2U Drawer holding my wireless packs and misc stuff

It's only too much if you don't have help loading it. I use a Northern Equipment hydraulic lift table to get it in and out of the car at home, and I let my bandmates help me unload at rehearsals and gigs.

Thanks for the reply fellas 10 space you say? and I thought I had a load of gear lol. Mine will have castors on it so I can always wheel it in. I can't see it weighing a lot more, there's only a laptop drawer gonna be put in there.

I'm recording with the band over the weekend super excited to be using the Axe III direct can't wait. It's my first time using it like that. I used to run the Axe II via the 4CM and used my boogie for all my tones. Using 3 amp models in the III so far and it sounds awesome! I'm really liking it at the moment especially with my Matrix amp powering my cab.

I could easily eliminate the last 4U, the shelf and drawer are there just for convenience. I figured once I was above 5-6 spaces, I'd want casters anyway - so I went with 10 in case I later want to drop a vocal processor in the rack.

i bought an 8 space. axe3 (3u), rack mixer (3u) iem and patch bay (2u). wired it all up, got it working well.

then i lifted it.

i took it apart promptly and used 2 separate rack cases.

if you can handle loading that in and out, then go for it. but consider that aspect.

i bought an 8 space. axe3 (3u), rack mixer (3u) iem and patch bay (2u). wired it all up, got it working well.

then i lifted it.

i took it apart promptly and used 2 separate rack cases.

if you can handle loading that in and out, then go for it. but consider that aspect.

Yeah, and the older you get, the harder it gets to lift.

^^^This^^^
Plus, you've got to be able to fit it into your vehicle. A few minutes of cabling between smaller (ie. more portable) racks is so much easier on the back at the end of the night (when all of your energy is spent).

I fly w/a 4 space SKB case on wheels, my Axe-FxIII and Matrix GT1000FX-1U in Front. A Furman SS-6B velcro'd to the bottom saving a rack space in back. Also in back my Shure PSM-900, and my Shure GLXD4R wireless guitar receiver (allowing me to plug into the rear Input1). Then I fashioned, out of aluminum, a mount for my PSM900 antenna, completed the rig w/10" angled Mogami cables. 49.75 pounds:D

Life is good!IMG_2599.jpgIMG_2591.jpg

6U is the max for me. 7U got way too big.

-Shure PSM900, Shure ULXD (shared PS124L powersuppy)

-Furman Power Conditioner

-Matrix GT1600FX

-AxeFX II mkII. I use FX returns for monitoring laptop backingtracks and FOH through axefx to in-ear, D-panel in the back for all connections, works great. That's all i need.

Right now I'm using a 5-space rack. XL+, two Relay G-90's, and a Furman. A Helix is my back-up rig. I have the Axe 3, but I'm waiting for the FC's to come out before I gig with it just because I don't have the time to program/learn an extra foot pedal setup, and I definitely want to use the FC(s) with the 3. Once the FC's are out, the Axe 3 will be my main rig, the XL+ my backup (yes, I realize that makes me one lucky SOB!). I was debating if I wanted to go to an 8-space rack (XL+, Axe 3, Relay G-90's x2, Furman), or go with a 6 and an 8, keeping the G-90's in their own rack. I'm leaning towards two racks because of weight.

I'm running with a 6u right now. Axe III (3u), Sennheisers for guitar and iem wireless (1u each), and Furman conditioner (1u). I also went with a shallow case (12"). I don't see a need for anything larger right now, and honestly don't see any reason to go larger for my setup.

Question for those of you running those sweet, sweet Matrix's amps. What are y'all pushing with them? I use a QSC KW122 since it is self powered and sounds great.

I'm running with a 6u right now. Axe III (3u), Sennheisers for guitar and iem wireless (1u each), and Furman conditioner (1u). I also went with a shallow case (12"). I don't see a need for anything larger right now, and honestly don't see any reason to go larger for my setup.

Question for those of you running those sweet, sweet Matrix's amps. What are y'all pushing with them? I use a QSC KW122 since it is self powered and sounds great.

I was also thinking if I go the two rack direction, to put the Axe 3, the Relay G-90s and the Furman in one rack, and then having the XL+ in a separate rack by itself (since it would be the back-up rig). I don't think the XL+ will fit in a shallow rack, but everything else will. If I have to go with a deep rack (insert joke here), it might as well be the 2 space rack and not the 6 space rack.

Back
Top Bottom