Anyone using a piezo-equipped guitar? What amp model?

deakle

Experienced
I have been building a preset to use with my PRS P22 that has dual outputs (1 for magnetic pickups and 1 for the piezo). I am using input 2 for the piezo to make use of the dual outputs on the guitar. Any thoughts on a good amp model to use for the piezo? I have been experimenting with the different Fender models but was wondering if there are others I should consider? Also, any advice on IR's to use for the cab would be greatly appreciated!

Try the Tube Pre amp without a cab. It can add some warmth and aid dynamic response.
Also, try direct in, no amp, with a multiband compressor and perhaps a GEQ.
You can also try an IR that is a tone match of an acoustic guitar track or use the Tone Match feature to capture an acoustic sound you like. That will really help the piezo to sound even more natural.

I'm running my piezo through a Fishman Aura pedal, which isn't really meant for solid body electrics, but I found an IR that sounds pretty good with my particular setup. I also use the onboard EQ and compression to shape the sound before it hits the Axe III.

After the Input Block on the Axe III, I have a GEQ that cuts down on some more offensive woofy frequencies, followed by a reverb. I don't use an amp model, you can get a good acoustic sound with an IR, EQ, compression, and reverb.

Now that we have IR player blocks, I can probably drop the Fishman, but I haven't bothered yet.

Piezo > Parametric EQ > Multiband Comp (or Comp) > Out

I don’t need an amp block at all. Physical Acoustic amps are really just Mini PA systems. They don’t contribute to the tone like an electric guitar amp does to an electric guitar.

I guess it depends what you're doing with it. For live use you definitely don't need the amp block. I like having the tube pre to warm things up a bit for recording though. I could do it with a VST, but it's nice having it built into the patch.

PRS P24 Artist - like others, tube pre or sometimes a clean fender - tend to mix it with a 5 way so ... bridge split plus piezo. Sometimes just piezo. Haven’t tried dual cables and separate treatments for each “channel”.

This:

I don’t need an amp block at all. Physical Acoustic amps are really just Mini PA systems. They don’t contribute to the tone like an electric guitar amp does to an electric guitar.

Similar to what Chris said no amp. I do occasionally use an IR, I have some old acoustic ones from axe change and created a bunch from my Fishman Aura pedal so I would not need to carry it around.

Ideally, a high gainer, with a Metal Zone.

Seriously though, good post. I'm interested, too.

What I would want to do is use an acoustic IR with the piezo, typically (not necessarily always). So you guys are saying the IR isn't really necessary? I'm surprised. I always felt it helped with the realism. But hey, that's cool to know.

With the right guitar, and with all the capability within the Axe FX now, I could see getting through a complex gig with just one guitar.

I always used the good old acoustic ir found here with my piezo, it just sounded better.

Ideally, a high gainer, with a Metal Zone.

Seriously though, good post. I'm interested, too.

What I would want to do is use an acoustic IR with the piezo, typically (not necessarily always). So you guys are saying the IR isn't really necessary? I'm surprised. I always felt it helped with the realism. But hey, that's cool to know.

With the right guitar, and with all the capability within the Axe FX now, I could see getting through a complex gig with just one guitar.
It’s always just added some mid range resonance that I end up EQ’ing out anyway. I haven’t found the right one for me yet.

I have a P22 and a P245 Semi Hollow. I don't use the separate outputs but switch the pickups using the switch on the guitar. Almost always it's either magnetics or piezo, I very rarely blend, and if I do it's on a cleanish preset that I want to add some spank to.

So either I use a complete separate piezo preset, or a piezo scene. In both cases I use the Tube Pre amp and an acoustic IR from 3Sigma. I just think it sounds better that way.

no amp. tonematch it to a real acoustic.

honestly, i've tried everything and this gave me far and away the best results. i used a video on youtube, which was a stereo recording, so i tonematched the left and right sides independently, saved them as user cabs and then loaded them into a stereo cab block. a little compression, fine eq for tweaking the low end, some reverb and it sounds brilliant.

no amp. tonematch it to a real acoustic.

honestly, i've tried everything and this gave me far and away the best results. i used a video on youtube, which was a stereo recording, so i tonematched the left and right sides independently, saved them as user cabs and then loaded them into a stereo cab block. a little compression, fine eq for tweaking the low end, some reverb and it sounds brilliant.

This is what we've done on pro rigs. The right tone match will send a good piezo sound into the stratosphere.

Back
Top Bottom