Anyone Using a PedalSnake?

tonyi

Inspired
Is anyone using a PedalSnake with their Fractal unit?. When I had a Mark II I tried to use the PedalSnake (MIDI) to connect to the MFC-101. Standard MIDI cables worked fine but it would not work with the snake although the PedalSnake staff insisted it was the exact same thing. It remains a mystery to me and the Pedalsnake staff. Now I'm using the snake to send signal to the Fractal (XL+) and that works great. However, I have tried to run the snake (TRS out of the Fractal, standard 1/4" into Atomic CLRs). I get no sound. When I uses standard cables I have no problem. The Pedalsnake staff assures me that the snake should be the same as a "humbuster" cable and that other users use it as "humbuster" and it works fine (but they are not using with a Fractal product). Another mystery to me and the Pedalsnake staff. Anyone have any ideas?

The 1/4" jacks on the Axe Fx II are TS not TRS. Definitely NOT the same as Humbuster, which is a specific type of wiring that users

I used a PedalSnake back in my pedalboard days and it proved to be a very flexible and useful purchase.

Thanks for responding. The end of a humbuster cable that connects to the Fractal has a TRS plug, that's why I was saying TRS out of the Fractal. So, you are saying that the "humbuster" has a different type of wiring not just a TRS on one end and a TS on the other?

The 1/4" jacks on the Axe Fx II are TS not TRS. Definitely NOT the same as Humbuster, which is a specific type of wiring that users

I used a PedalSnake back in my pedalboard days and it proved to be a very flexible and useful purchase.

Thanks for responding. The end of a humbuster cable that connects to the Fractal has a TRS plug, that's why I was saying TRS out of the Fractal. So, you are saying that the "humbuster" has a different type of wiring not just a TRS on one end and a TS on the other?
See the manual here:

A735A2E3-FACB-45ED-AF33-4C4FC74065B4.jpeg

As far as I understand this requires a specially made cable.

I don't think sticking a TRS pigtail on one side and a TS pigtail on the other will be correct.

I emailed Jody at Pedalsnake. This was his response:

The cable is not special, it is standard mic cable. The only thing special is the way they put TS and TRS on the same cable. And PedalSnake’s RS1/RS1-TRS scheme is the same. Hopefully some PedalSnake customers can verify that our “Humbuster” works as it should.

When I "special" I didn't mean the cable but the wiring of the connectors...
This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry, we just saw this, and I had to register to reply. I hope you got your problem fixed. I described both the cable that a Humbuster uses and the plugs. The Humbuster uses mic cable (just like one of PedalSnake's BaseSnake 3wire channels), and on that cable they put a TRS plug (for the Fractal) and a TS plug (for the amp.) One of our RS1-TRS Pigtails at the Fractal end of a PedalSnake (BaseSnake) channel, and an RS1 at the Amp End, produces a wiring exactly like a Humbuster cable. We do have many Fractal customers doing this successfully. Sometimes there is confusion about how to go about it, so errors get made. But it does work fine. It is not a difficult thing. It is just a bit unusual, and has to be done right.

This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry, we just saw this, and I had to register to reply. I hope you got your problem fixed. I described both the cable that a Humbuster uses and the plugs. The Humbuster uses mic cable (just like one of PedalSnake's BaseSnake 3wire channels), and on that cable they put a TRS plug (for the Fractal) and a TS plug (for the amp.) One of our RS1-TRS Pigtails at the Fractal end of a PedalSnake (BaseSnake) channel, and an RS1 at the Amp End, produces a wiring exactly like a Humbuster cable. We do have many Fractal customers doing this successfully. Sometimes there is confusion about how to go about it, so errors get made. But it does work fine. It is not a difficult thing. It is just a bit unusual, and has to be done right.
It was @tonyi that had the issue, not me... But nice of you to reply personally.

I just got off the phone with Jody at Pedalsnake. I use the snake to run the MFC-101 (XLR), to power a Morpeus pedal and a TC Helicon VoiceLive, and to send guitar signal from the Morpheus to the Fractal. Works great. However, I can't get it to send signal from the Fractal to powered speakers (sometimes Bose L1 Model II, sometimes two Atomic CLRs) using the snake (normal "humbuster" cable works great). Jody is convinced that using the TRS and TR pigtails is equivalent to a "humbuster" cable and should work. We are at a loss on why it won't work. Again, my question is "has anyone had experience using the Pedalsnake to send signal from Fractal to power?" If so, does it work for you, or does it not work for you? Thanks for your help.

Does the TS pigtail actually have Ring and Sleeve tied to ground?

A typical TS cable wouldn't as far as I'm aware because they are only 2 conductor.

A typical TS cable wouldn't as far as I'm aware because they are only 2 conductor.

Yes.

A typical TS cable wouldn't as far as I'm aware because they are only 2 conductor.”
Correct. A Humbuster cable uses 3 conductor mic cable, aka shielded twisted pair.

Back
Top Bottom