Anyone using a Matrix GT1000FX (or GT800FX) into a 4x12 cab?

Tamerz

Inspired
I'm not liking the Mesa 50/50 power amp I picked up with my Axe-FX II because it is adding too much of its own sound. It was better when I was just using my Mark IV's power amp section, but I don't want to lug that around. I decided to take a shot with the Matrix GT1000FX and ordered it today.

Is anyone using this with a regular 4x12 guitar cab? I'm not really wanting to do the whole FRFR thing at the moment since I have spent far more than I planned already.

That's me. I've had my GT1000FX a few weeks now, it sounds great driving my early 80's 1960A (with a mix of original G12-65s and WGS V30s in X pattern). One channel is WAY more than enough oomph!

After many years with a Rivera Knucklehead valve head through a 4x12, I took the plunge, and bought an Axe fx and Matrix GT800fx. Unlike most of the guys on the forum, I run mine in stereo, with the cab being wired for 2x8 ohms. I find the chorus's and delays to be fuller this way, and dont find any of the phasing issues that others have reported.

Now, after some six months of editing and tweeking, I dont miss the Rivera at all except for the weight! Besides doing the usual turn the sag up, I found that turning the patch master volume up, and patch level down, made for a more compressed sort of feel, and like many others on here, I dont find the 'playing feel' now any different to a valve amp, with lots of sustain available, and with the Matrix being solid state, I dont have to worry about the valve amp 'sweet spot' when playing in small venues, as I always get a good sound at any level.

My 4x12 is a Marshall, with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, though I also have a Rivera cab with the same speaker, which I use for editing at home, to ensure my stage settings are correct. As a matter of interest, I was able to carry out a good comparison between the Vintage 30, and the Celestion G12/75 and found that the Vintage 30 was a more focussed sound to the G12, and was able to cut through the mix more.

I find that the Matrix removes the need to play above a certain level to achieve the 'sweet spot', and after some 40 years playing through valve amps, I am a firm Matrix convert.

Im sure that with a bit of patience, you will get the sound that you are looking for.

Good luck

Last edited:
Matrix 1000 gets here tomorrow. I might do this-at the moment I used a 2x12 AND FRFR to an rcf. I can't decide which I like better. I have a few 4x12s around, stereo possible, that sounds like a plan.

I use my AxeII through a Matrix GT800FX amp and Marshall 1960A cab with the standard G12/75 (i think that's what the're labelled up) in stereo. To me it sounds the mut's nuts epecially as I tend to use the Marshall amp sims alot of the time.
BTW I love the new JVM OD1 sim, really cool.8)

Matrix 1000 into Bogner 4x12 with scumback m75's. It sounds real good.
I have done the frfr thing with a variety of things incl qsc hpr 122i, atomics, verve fbt 12ma, ev elx112 and this is the best for me.

I'm using the Matrix GT1000FX (and, up to last week, I used a GT800FX) in a Blackstar 4X12 (or a Marshall 1960) even in mono and in stereo

simply ... it sound great ! :ugeek

Feeling better and better about my purchase.

They must be sending me a special one. FedEx says "3.9 lbs" for the package. Must use helium filled capacitors. :mrgreen

just got my matrix gt1000fx, and im new to the whole axe fx world, as i also just got an Ultra.

Can someone give me a really simple run down of the best way to both connect the ultra to the matrix and then to a 4x12 cab so that the ultra effects are in true mono and not stereo (so im not missing half the effect sounds)? also perhaps what i need to set on the ultra settings both in the I/0 settings and in each preset block settings? some of the presets have a send and return block in them and so on those presets its making the tone different when i plug the matrix from output 1 and then swap to output 2 (currently using L jack of output 2 to send to matrix, and main distortion preset has a send return block - but i dont understand how that really interacts with the axe outputs)

i dont really plan to use two cabs so i just want to make sure that my effects from the ultra are in mono and not stereo.

should i be using two cables from the ultra (L+R) or can i get away with just one to go into the matrix? at the moment on the matrix im just using channel A into my cab.

Did you notice and difference in sound between the 800 and the 1000?

at the moment I use a Pod HD Pro (in the meanwhile I switched from GT800FX to GT1000FX I made a "big" update of Pod)

it seems that the sound is more "natural" ... more "real"

... some Watts added, and I like the new "X" speaker connector to use the Matrix in bridged mode

Back
Top Bottom