Anyone using a CLR in a band where the other guitarist is using a 'real rig"?

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I just found out the other guitarist in this Road house blues project I've gotten myself involved in
is using Bogner Shiva with a Bogner 2X12. I'm concerned that his rig may "squash mine" unless I completely blast which I don't want to do.
Is anyone here in this scenario and seeing this or is the CLR going to surprise me?
Our first rehearsal is next weekend so I'll find out first hand soon enough, but I actually scored a JVM210H for real cheap over the weekend ......'just in case"
as I only really need 2 or 3 tones for this gig with a clean OD and a Wah pedal.
Nick

I am using a CLR and my other guitarist is using a Mesa 1x12 Theile.
I have no problem at all keeping up.
We both prop our cabs up on rack cases (so they are above waist high).
Both of our rigs sound great....I don't think one is better than the other. And neither one of us covers more 'space'.

(I also just got a XiTone Passive wedge to put in front of me, for guitar and vocals.....it's going to be a killer tone sandwich)

Nick, hit me up via email or phone if you want to exchange some ideas (or patches). Sorry, I've been slacking on my PM inbox.

Another thing I will note.....I've been playing in my basement with my Mesa cabs lately.

I am conflicted when saying this but..... I like FRFR better than a real cab.
When you crank a real cab, it gets so damn 'beamy'. You take 2 steps to the right, the left, forward, backward....and the tone changes too much for my liking.
And when you get right in the spot where the speakers hits you in the face.....and good god it rapes my ears.

A great FRFR (like the CLR or XiTone) seems to stay much more 'even'....just my opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would go with 2 CLR's before I went back to a 2x12 cab (like the bogner shiva).

Or maybe I should try some differen cabs.... :)

This. It's quite tricky to compare the two actually. With a guitar amp, the listening point is critical. Don't know about other "FRFR" cabs, but the CLR is designed to give an as coherent as possible response within 90 solid degrees, and fade out as fast as possible outside that. If you guys are using your cabs as backline as I think, you can't judge or compare how they sound from the stage: you have to listen from the parterre. And the results will vary depending on the spot. I'd also notice that with any cab, putting it on the ground will completely kill the "PA" purpose. Raise your CLR on a pole (or a high stand anyway) and you will reach the most possible numerous audience with the most coherent sound. Anyway, the core concept is that the comparison between the two solutions dramatically varies with the listening position, and makes really hard to come to useful conclusions if not for a specific spot. The CLR is designed to best cover as much audience as possible with the best sound, if placed and set properly. Quite apples to oranges, in a sense :)

I played with CLR, the other guy used a Marshall half stack. The beaminess vs. more even coverage is very obvious in that situation. Both sound good.

I do occasionally, and the other guy's playing a really nice Rivera Chubster. However, he's using a Zoom FX/Modeling unit (forget the model), and, to my ear, that leaves him often sounding less 'genuine' than me. He begs to differ, loves his tone. I love his tone without the Zoom in front of it. With the Zoom on, my rig sounds WAY more natural to me. And, yes, I've had others play the rig when I'm in the audience, and the sweet spot is bigger (though I usually use it as a monitor and feed to FOH).

I've done it for over 7 years.

Current band (last 4 years) the other guitarist uses a Egnater and we mic his 112. I use my CLR and run direct to FOH. We both setup as sidefill from across the stage from each other and it's a great thing.

I've played opposite Fender, Marshall, Matchless, Mesa and others I can't recall. Never an issue what so ever. No 'battle' or feeling inadequate.

Great fun, no issues.

I'm hoping it works because I've dialed in some killer patches with 15.07.
and it would make lugging this stuff around much easier(I have a NEO) :)
Scott do you have yours on the floor or up on a stand?
So do you just copy out 1->2 and run one to FOH and the other to the CLR?

both global EQs flat?
or do you guys do anything for the CLR at louder volume?
NP Jay I'm just bustin on ya :)

I use my CLR for backline at blues and blues/rock gigs all of the time. Quite often with players who use amps, including custom built and $$$ boutique ones.

I have no problems with volume (well, other than getting the others to turn down to a reasonable volume:roll), and can cut through without any issues. If running through FOH as well, I just use OUT 1 for that and Out 2 for the CLR(s).

I'd say go for it.

TT

thanks for the input guys got this today just in case the Axe didn't work out for such a crazy cheap price (I couldn't resist)
I'm hoping I can just flip it and work with the Axe. I haven't owned a Marshall since 1981 Lol!
photo_zpsaeaac9ff.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in a band with a a guy who runs a Kemper into Marshall 50/50 and 2 4x12

His sound through he PA is better in my view (DI) than the sound he gets on stage which is very beamy, and off axis the tone changes dramatically. I use 2 CLR and I am incredibly happy. I get a better clearer sound that is heard every where on stage with excellent dispersion. It sounds pretty realistic to me especially with the new 15.07 but more polished and sits better in the mix. You hear what the audience is hearing whilst the band is playing. Amp/cabs will only be heard by your kneecaps and often turns to dust when the full band plays! He commented recently that he loved the full sound coming from the CLR's and they sounded like a guitar should sound at a huge Rock gig coming through the PA. Full powerful excellent dispersion. Moving masses of air. He's thinking of going down the CLR route. I would not go back to amp and cabs never, never ... getting back together

I don't have the CLR, but I have Matrix's direct competition, the Q12a (both being very good and designed with the Axe FX in mind to be a guitarists FRFR solution). I play with another guitarist who uses various rigs. My 1x12 Matrix sounds bigger than any of them if I use a big sounding 4x12 IR. It just depends on the IR and what you want to get, but my other guitarist sometimes uses a my Bogner 4x12 live, and my 1x12 can sound even bigger than that if desired. I don't have to crank it much at all. With the Matrix at nearly full volume (for headroom) and the Axe at maybe 10:00 on the volume, I'm at gig volume and it sounds plenty huge and fills the room. My tone is often much better, IMO, because he uses good amps and cabs, but his distortion is a Boss DS-1 and overdrive is a TS808, so eh. But in general they meld well. They both sound like any normal band with two tube amps (except mine sounds like 100 different tube amps). Nothing about my rig lacks in comparison or sounds solid state or "off" or noticeably different in any way. They both just sound like big, loud tube amps. It's surprising how well the Axe fits in with a band in which the other guitarist just uses a tube amp. People are often blown away by the tones I get, but especially when they see and feel how huge it can sound with that little 1x12 powered SS cab. The hardcore tube guys can hardly even accept it. It's literally capable of sounding much more massive than any 4x12 I've ever heard, including my own massive sounding Bogner cab.

Back
Top Bottom