Anyone using a 15ft / 4.6m USB 2.0 cable that works?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I recently moved my 2 Desktop PC's from the right side of my desk to the left, to lower noise caused by EMI leaking through the window and fan vent holes on the left sides of the PC cases into my guitar and bass pickups. I want to keep my gear on the right side of my desk, away from the PC's and because I'm right handed but now I need USB 2.0 cables that are over 10ft / 3m. Every USB 2.0 cable I've tried over 10ft either won't work or randomly loses connection. I've read the USB 2.0 max cable length is 16.4ft / 5m.

The cables I tried didn't have Ferrite core cord rings. Are they needed? Should I buy cables with them or the Ferrite core cord rings that clip on around the cable?

Anyone have any success with 15ft / 4.6m USB 2.0 cables and can recommend a good brand or provide a link to where I can buy some, preferably from Amazon.com so I can return them for free if they don't work?

Last edited:
I use these all the time, I have about 6 -8 or so of them in constant use all the time (movement included) for over 2 years now and no issues so far

Amazon product ASIN B00UNZ9QI4

Do you use any specific brands and do the cables have Ferrite cores on them or do you add them?

Also, for some reason I can't click on the amazon link you shared (Never mind, for some reason I was able to click on the link in this reply where it quoted your post)

Thanks for the link and that's a good price for 3x 15ft USB 2.0 cables. If anyone else can't click on the link to open it, search Amazon.com for B00UNZ9QI4

Last edited:
I've got a whole bunch all over my home studio. For many, many years now. No issues at all. All different brands but I never buy the cheapest crap, ever.........
USB standards Recommended specs:
Maximum length of USB 2.0 cable: The 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (Full Speed or Hi-Speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches).

I use these all the time, I have about 6 -8 or so of them in constant use all the time (movement included) for over 2 years now and no issues so far

Amazon product ASIN B00UNZ9QI4
I add ferrite cores on everything anyway - I bought some of these, various sizes and it's no concern for me for any application:

Amazon product ASIN B0757H1SBZ

I ordered both and got them yesterday. I definitely recommend the USB 2.0 15ft cables. They're thicker and seem to be better quality and you can't beat that price for a 3 pack.

Now the embarrassing part. The issue I was having was because I was accidentally plugging into the USB 3.0 port and the USB 3.0 spec says max cable length is 9.8ft / 3m :oops:. When I realized my mistake (which I must have been doing for a couple years) and plugged into the USB 2.0 port the 15ft cables had no issues.

I should have paid more attention to Cliff's post: IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS!!! https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/if-you-read-nothing-else-read-this.162537/

• Haha
Reactions: jon
I ordered both and got them yesterday. I definitely recommend the USB 2.0 15ft cables. They're thicker and seem to be better quality and you can't beat that price for a 3 pack.

Now the embarrassing part. The issue I was having was because I was accidentally plugging into the USB 3.0 port and the USB 3.0 spec says max cable length is 9.8ft / 3m :oops:. When I realized my mistake (which I must have been doing for a couple years) and plugged into the USB 2.0 port the 15ft cables had no issues.

I should have paid more attention to Cliff's post: IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THIS!!! https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/if-you-read-nothing-else-read-this.162537/
I think there have been reported issues with using USB 3.0 ports regardless of cable length... You should just use USB 2.0 ;)

I've been using 25ft USB 2 repeater cable, in a long snake from midi footswitch to rack.
Only time it gave trouble was when it had a kink. Straightened it and it's been fine since. I keep a backup in the rack though.

Footswitch snake has USB & midi for axe-fx and computer, and power & XLR for floor monitor.
This stuff is great for a quick, easy professional looking snake.
https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/general-purpose-sleeving/f6-woven-wrap
It's flexible, light, rugged, looks good, wraps easy, and self-wraps around your cables. If a cable goes bad, just pull it out and insert the replacement.

Back
Top Bottom