Anyone using 2 FM3's?

I never owned one. The FM3's power and form factor is what got me in.

Edit: Sorry, @Severed, I didn't notice whom you were addressing.

Last edited:
It is not really a crazy idea. Run one in the loop of the other. Or just in tandem like some people do with Kempers. You end up with two amp blocks and two Reverbs etc. Takes some load off the CPU. When you think about it, it is only $500 more than a FM3 and a FC6 with the same footprint. But... you can't take full advantage of the extra 3 switches. I wish they had a way to couple two together and integrate them together like you can with a FC6 or FC12 with an FM3.

Yeah, I didn't even go into the financial side, but you would have two FM3s for less than the cost of an AX3 and would circumvent a lot of what AX3 owners bemoan when comparing the two.

FM3 has midi in and midi out. Connect each OUT to the other unit’s IN. Maybe that would work?
I think maybe he was referring to the FAS Link connection? (I haven't used and FC6 or 12, so just guessing.) Not sure about the midi idea, but you could definitely put one in the effect loop of the other. It wouldn't even need to be in the loop, one FM3 could pass the signal off to the second "as if" to an effects loop, but the second 3 could simply send it as a normal output (so it would be a serial arrangement).

Last edited:
Two FM3s means additional AD/DA conversion and doubling the latency.

It would be pretty sweet to be able to connect 2! Maybe the guys at FAS could figure out a way to keep it digital and low latency, or even just parallel input and each only process left or right audio? Then have the switching work across 2 units, as a master and slave. Not sure if any of that would work haha

I'm using both an FM3 and a Boss GT1000. The FM3, overall, is superior but the GT 1000 does have some advantages:
  1. The GT1000 has 2 effect loops while the FM3 has one, and are easier to configure in the GT1000
  2. The GT1000's version of a Roland Jazz Chorus is much better than Fractal Audio's.
  3. Preset changes on a GT1000 are as fast as stomping a Boss pedal
  4. I prefer the tuner on the GT1000 which has a dedicated footswitch

But like I said, the FM3 wins in every other possible category.

I know that would be weird and why not just get an AX3, but just curious.
Not so weird. If I was still playing out I would have my backup be the same as my main fractal. But I guess you meant both at the same time. Hmm! Interesting. Together they still are easier to carry than the III and you have 6 FS's. Not so crazy.

Nah, I own both a 3 and a III. If you need power to do crazy things, the AF3 was -designed for that from the ground up-
IF you want to hack around with two 3's and deal with MIDI or tap-dancing, sure, but it's a bigger hassle and more likely to fail/have hiccups live.

Dweezil used to run a II into a II b/c he used so many effects in so many combos. Its not unprecedented.

I'm using both an FM3 and a Boss GT1000. The FM3, overall, is superior but the GT 1000 does have some advantages:
  1. The GT1000 has 2 effect loops while the FM3 has one, and are easier to configure in the GT1000
  2. The GT1000's version of a Roland Jazz Chorus is much better than Fractal Audio's.
  3. Preset changes on a GT1000 are as fast as stomping a Boss pedal
  4. I prefer the tuner on the GT1000 which has a dedicated footswitch

But like I said, the FM3 wins in every other possible category.
I like Boss and was considering the 1000CORE before settling on the FM3.

Your points are probably fair assessments, I do wonder about your point 2 above though. Do you think Boss's RJC is really that much better or could it be that the FM3 might be made to at least approach it, if you took the time to tweak the settings (I suspect it could-love the Boss RJC, btw)?

I do wish the FM3 could instantaneously switch presets. You can always program a dedicated footswitch for the tuner though.

Let me know if you find a good way to simulate the Terraecho in the FM3!

I have to say, I agree that the GT-1000CORE does have some very substantial advantages over the FM3.

Freedom from "LAYOUTS" is my number one reason. I hate the whole layouts thing.

Back
Top Bottom