Anyone uses the boost function?

dupere11497

Experienced
I really like the boost function within the amp section. It seems to retain the amp character with only more gain. Using a boost pedal in front of the amp is different. It cuts low end and boost mids which is also a good thing to cut through while soloing!

The boost function works for me with less amp drive. Otherwise, it had too much compression. With the right amount of amp drive, it's a great way to turn a rythm patch into a lead one! Anyone here who prefer this approach vs boosting the amp with a drive pedal?

I use an alternative method, because:

1) 12 dB is too much for me.
2) I want to have more control over it.

So I put a (low CPU) "Null" Filter block in front of the Amp block in every preset I use.
Set to 6 dB. I have an IA switch on my footcontroller assigned to it.

I use for the same reasons you cited: more 'drive' without a change to the amp characteristic.
My default amp settings usually are mid gain at the most so the Boost is a nice 'channel 2' for me.

Saves the Drive blocks for a more focused change.

A few amp blocks seem to get too loud with it but most of the ones I use so far are just right with it.

Is the 12db boost affecting all frequencies? In other word, is it like putting a graphic eq before the amp with all band flat just boosting volume, or does the boost function accentuate on specefic frequencies?

Is the 12db boost affecting all frequencies? In other word, is it like putting a graphic eq before the amp with all band flat just boosting volume, or does the boost function accentuate on specefic frequencies?

Full-range.

It's a flat boost.

I use it if I need to adjust the input trim to over 4, since that's equal to 12dB.

So I put a (low CPU) "Null" Filter block in front of the Amp block in every preset I use.
Set to 6 dB. I have an IA switch on my footcontroller assigned to it.
Do you use this as a solo boost of just to give your self more gain/saturation

For a boost I have always used an EQ pedal (even in my tube amp days) behind the amp in the pedal chain. I currently use a ParaEQ and drop the low frq down, push the mids louder, and keep the highs about where they are and then give it about an extra 1db of gain. (the eq looks like a frown face) This way you get the mids that will cut your sound through the mix so you can stand out without taking everyone's head off with volume. This also really helps your tone not get muddy thanks to less bass, and the highs aren't nails on a chalk board to everyone in the room. Makes for a nice creamy tone even if your normal sound is pretty scooped.

I use the Input Trim as the kinder, gentler substitute. It's modifier is attached to an IA switch (labelled 'Talent') and jumps between 1.0 and 1.5-1.75 for the upper end, depending on the amp. YMMV. Conversely, I've used it as a 'Input Cut' on some presets to clean it up a bit.

For low gain amps I have Boost attached to an IA. It means that I've got "almost clean" and "overdriven" without having to change any other amp characteristic, or move to a different patch.

Maybe it's late, and maybe all my gear is packed for a show tomorrow, but +12db seems like it'd be overkill. I use a "null" filter at +2 to +3db depending on my patch for leads. I'm the only guitar in my band, so maybe I have less to step out in front of, but it works quite effectively.

Set to 6 dB. I have an IA switch on my MFC assigned to it.

Great question!! I thought until very recently that I had everything under my control for boosting my patches for solos. Until now what I did was use the delay IA switch with a 3db boost on every preset for my solos. Now I am covering a lot of music where I need delay as a major part of my rhythm tone. So now I am looking to revamp and considering options. If I use a "null" filter with just a boost in db's is it truly "transparent", and if so it should not matter where in the tone chain it is place--correct?

Thanks!!

Maybe it's late, and maybe all my gear is packed for a show tomorrow, but +12db seems like it'd be overkill. I use a "null" filter at +2 to +3db depending on my patch for leads. I'm the only guitar in my band, so maybe I have less to step out in front of, but it works quite effectively.
we aren't talking about a solo boost.

Back
Top Bottom