Anyone use their AX8 through a power amp/guitar speakers, or guitar amp fx return?

What's the volume of the 44 like compared to the ISP?

I have the ISP but it's such a beefy shape I'm struggling to fit in on my board.

If the 44 can hold it's own then I'm tempted by it.

To tell the truth, I don't test 44 magnum at the band rehearsal yet, even though I already tested iSP with AX8 at the band rehearsal.
I went to the rehearsal studio alone and just tested 44 to make sure my created some tones of AX8 at musical studio with loud volumn.
I set the level of 44 to 9 clock and the output level of AX8 to 9 clock at that time.
I felt it' enough loud even if you play with your band and I also have more room for AX8 output level.
I don't know whether it will be enough loud in your case but I think it will make me satisfied in terms of output volumn.
As I will have band rehearsal in this week end I can share my experience with you.

I prefer it on all the time. I use a solid state power amp generally.

If I'm running through the loop of an amp I just turn power amp modeling off l

Oh, I've never tried amp modeling off with amp fx loop.
I should do it since I like those experiments with my musical materials including a guitar and of course AX8.
Thanks.

I also bought stealth ISP can you give me any advice or opinion on the best configuration and setting the AX8? I use it with two 1x12 cab in stereo configuration.

It's hard for me to give any advice for usage of iSP and AX8.
My way to build the tone of AX8 is always to tweak any of AX8 parameters you think it's necessary with relying of your ears or to belive in them and finally to make sure it with enough loud volumn for your gigs.

I was using it with a Mesa 20/20 into a Marshall 1936. I have two identical cabs and have one at one bands permanent rehearsal room and the other I take too and from a rehearsal studio for the other band. In the first instance, I have had Amp Sims *and* Cab Sims turned on to get a reasonable sound. At the seconds place - with the other cab the sound was just boomy and I had to disable the Cab Sims and tweak everything. I've used both speakers with my Mesa RA-100 before and to me ear they sound identical. I guess the difference was the room that they were in ?? That being said, it would be a pain to have to remember to turns different sims off / on depending on the environment.

I recently purchased Friedman ASM-12 and as soon as I plugged it in the feeling was like I had just got a new piece of gear - all over again. Much more value from the technology IMHO. Different strokes for different folks and $$ come into play too for peeps no doubt. If you have the cash, I'd recommend trying some FRFR options. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

I wish I can use FRFR environment because I think it will give me better tone even though current my tone of AX8 makes me happy.
However, unfortunatly it does not allow me to do so as several issues makes me so.

I've got to say that I am super happy owner of the 44 Magnum pedal now.
It works like a charm with the AX8 against my Fender SC112 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30 (8 ohm).
But, for some weird reason, I really think it sounds better with "cab sim" on :p

I use my AX8 into the FX Return of a Mesa Boogie Mark III Green Stripe with a Recto 2x12 close back cabinet w/ V30s. The Boogie has headroom for days, so I just bypass the cab block and leave the power amp sim intact. I also use 2 Humbuster cables (one for left, one for right outputs) into a Y adapter to connect the AX8 to the Boogie. That makes a huge difference! Before I was using the Left out into the amp, it sounded OK but allowing the stereo effects to operate in stereo added a ton of dimension, to my ears anyway.

I prefer this hybrid setup over playing through studio monitors. It just feels right, if that makes sense?
Like the thought of traditional cabs (mesa) birch construction which is part of the thick sound they produce...if that is removed from the equation it seems it would matter? Frfr are great and all that,but I don't think it's possible they resonate as a 4x12 or 2x12 would..Even the qsckw12 is made with real wood and is by far a great option...it also has a horn inside it which I don't quite understand how that benefits a thick guitar sound,an acoustic possibly?

Like the thought of traditional cabs (mesa) birch construction which is part of the thick sound they produce...if that is removed from the equation it seems it would matter? Frfr are great and all that,but I don't think it's possible they resonate as a 4x12 or 2x12 would..Even the qsckw12 is made with real wood and is by far a great option...it also has a horn inside it which I don't quite understand how that benefits a thick guitar sound,an acoustic possibly?
I think of it this way.

When you use FRFR, you are really hearing the end result of an amplifier and speaker combination already miked up and sent to FOH. You no longer have that step of using a microphone and then EQ'ing on the esk or anything. You are starting out with the end result in your unit.

It is pretty different to begin with, but when you have your sounds sorted, you tone at FOH is very reliable from gig to gig because you have just removed room, mic quality, FOH engineer, cables, desk etc from the equation.

I think of it this way.

When you use FRFR, you are really hearing the end result of an amplifier and speaker combination already miked up and sent to FOH. You no longer have that step of using a microphone and then EQ'ing on the esk or anything. You are starting out with the end result in your unit.

It is pretty different to begin with, but when you have your sounds sorted, you tone at FOH is very reliable from gig to gig because you have just removed room, mic quality, FOH engineer, cables, desk etc from the equation.
Yes I understand stand the end result,what I referred to as to why some prefer traditional cabs" is still not part of the end result" there is never the quality of the cabinet build that adds resonance..I think frfr sounds good,the thump is not there,maybe this is why?

Yes I understand stand the end result,what I referred to as to why some prefer traditional cabs" is still not part of the end result" there is never the quality of the cabinet build that adds resonance..I think frfr sounds good,the thump is not there,maybe this is why?

I'm pretty sure you can get the thump,etc via all the multitudes of IR's that are available and/or eq'ing. . HOWEVER, I'm with you, I very much prefer a regular guitar cabinet and power amp at this point. We'll see if that ever changes :) Eric

Studio monitors are great for practice and in the studio, but I (am conditioned to?) really like a cabinet for the usual small venue and jam sessions. Stage capable FRFR acceptable to my ears isn't in the budget at this point (wisely, the $ went for the AX8).

I run the AX8 into a Carvin DCM150 (ss power amp) into a pair of 80's Fanes I favor. Being one cabinet, it won't pair up easily with every amp model, or mimic signature tones to the exacting degree possible with FRFR, but their versatility is extensive enough for my performance needs. So far, I've gotten great mileage out of just a couple of amp models & a few effects nuanced to perfection through a few scenes and a couple of presets: which sounds better and is much easier to manage than actual tube amp* & pedals.

*Not a boutique or classic amp.

Last edited:
Studio monitors are great for practice and in the studio, but I (am conditioned to?) really like a cabinet for the usual small venue and jam sessions. Stage capable FRFR acceptable to my ears isn't in the budget at this point (wisely, the $ went for the AX8).

I run the AX8 into a Carvin DCM150 (ss power amp) into a pair of 80's Fanes I favor. Being one cabinet, it won't pair up easily with every amp model, or mimic signature tones to the exacting degree possible with FRFR, but their versatility is extensive enough for my performance needs. So far, I've gotten great mileage out of just a couple of amp models & a few effects nuanced to perfection through a few scenes and a couple of presets: which sounds better and is much easier to manage than actual tube amp* & pedals.

*Not a boutique or classic amp.
Sounds like my ideal set up:) I can't get a basic clean crunch lead set up...can you do that in a scene or do I have to change to another preset to have differnt amps,volumes,etc...thank you

Sounds like my ideal set up:) I can't get a basic clean crunch lead set up...can you do that in a scene or do I have to change to another preset to have differnt amps,volumes,etc...thank you

I'm still getting my feet wet with all this: but in short yes: The X/Y and scenes are what makes it possible to do a lot in one preset: Re: Amp X/Y: you can have either 2 amps, or 2 of the same amp dialed in differently. Same goes for the 2 drive blocks = 4 variations, X/Y for compressor and using EQ for tone and/or gain boost.

So: since each scene can have any combination of X/Y and on/off states : you can; with a clean (X) and lead (Y) setting of the amp(s) and using a drive block/pedal with clean amp (X) for crunch, and compressor for a variation on the lead amp (Y) tone, season with EQ for scooping or punching up the mids, or boosting to taste and so on: In combination with these other effects you can easily have two versions each of clean, crunch and lead in one preset and still have two more scenes available for other effects variations. So, a lot can be done with one preset and just stepping through the 8 scenes: Also, it's easy enough to toggle boost or delay on and off in the old way of doing things.

Last edited:
So it is the x/y and not changing the scene..to get another amp or louder volume..thanks brother!!!! I wish this thing didn't slow me down..i. am so lost.lol

So it is the x/y and not changing the scene..to get another amp or louder volume..thanks brother!!!! I wish this thing didn't slow me down..i. am so lost.lol

Yes, it is DEEP. You could shift through presets if you want to do it that way. So far I can make all the changes I want in a song with one preset and scenes. Mostly I'm just playing, reveling in the great tone; I've only made a few presets so far. Eventually, I'll get into it more. You might try these tutorials - I plan to. Chris@AxeFxTutorials

I'm still getting my feet wet with all this: but in short yes: The X/Y and scenes are what makes it possible to do a lot in one preset: Re: Amp X/Y: you can have either 2 amps, or 2 of the same amp dialed in differently. Same goes for the 2 drive blocks = 4 variations, X/Y for compressor and using EQ for tone and/or gain boost.

So: since each scene can have any combination of X/Y and on/off states : you can; with a clean (X) and lead (Y) setting of the amp(s) and using a drive block/pedal with clean amp (X) for crunch, and compressor for a variation on the lead amp (Y) tone, season with EQ for scooping or punching up the mids, or boosting to taste and so on: In combination with these other effects you can easily have two versions each of clean, crunch and lead in one preset and still have two more scenes available for other effects variations. So, a lot can be done with one preset and just stepping through the 8 scenes: Also, it's easy enough to toggle boost or delay on and off in the old way of doing things.
This is spot on but you can also use modifiers to set gain and levels per scene. There are two guys on here that can help you with this.

1) Chris@AxeFxTutorials has a number of videos that he has made that teach you all the basics and more and are worth a view.
2) @fremen has created lots fo 5 scene presets that use a single amp and maybe a drive pedal, and give you 5 scenes that go from clean through different crunch stages to full on over driven sound.

Both of these options cost you a few $$ but can really help you with your learning

Thanks for the info,i have yet to decide on an output rig....best I've found was the be100 loop return..I did an a/b and it was very impressive how close they were..the be100 sounds bigger..not louder,bigger!! That was to be expected

Back
Top Bottom